Japanese Cotton has a cotton taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob m

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Ok so I have a CLT v2 that I have been using for a little bit. When I got it at the b&m they built the coil and wicked it for me. It is at .2 OHM. It was running great for a while then it was time to change the wick. I picked up some Japanese cotton and re wicked it after cleaning off the coils. Well with this cotton it has a cotton dry taste with each hit. Does this taste go away after time or did I screw something up maybe?

Here is a pic maybe this will help some.

20141208_213506.jpg

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
The cotton taste will abate with use, however, it can also be an indication of too much material in the coil. You mention "dry" - quite possibly a tell that you're using a tad too much (pic looks like it supports that notion, too). Try using less.

Also - not to come off all preachy - but please be careful using .2 ohm builds. We want you safe.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
The cotton taste will abate with use, however, it can also be an indication of too much material in the coil. You mention "dry" - quite possibly a tell that you're using a tad too much (pic looks like it supports that notion, too). Try using less.

Also - not to come off all preachy - but please be careful using .2 ohm builds. We want you safe.

rob m

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Thanks I will try to take some of the cotton out. Yeah I am new to sub ohming but I am being careful. I may try my hand at rebuilding it myself soon and bump it up a little.

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
I agree with the wicking issue. The picture you provided shows one of the tails darkened. Japanese cotton pads are very easy to work with so you shouldn't have an issue wicking it. Peel the pad in half, cut an appropriate length along with the fibers. Remember that the cotton is going to expand a bit. What you want to do is just twist the tip of the cotton, keep the rest of the strip as is. Thread the strip through coil while holding the other end to keep a little tension. You want to feel a slight resistance, not loose like you can pull it out easy, but not too snug to where it starts pulling your mod. Trim your tails, tuck and juice it, you'll see it slightly expand and when looking at the coil you should see no gaps between the wick and coil.

I notice the cotton to give a taste when you vape it after a new wick, it goes away quickly though. The dry taste is choking the wick. A metallic taste means a loose wick.

Be careful with sub oh, operation, make sure your batteries are proper and your build is error free in respect to shorting issues, hot spots, and the amount of current you draw based on your mod.

Check this out
Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

This site lets you see pretty accurate coil possibilities without actually having to build.

Also, if you can't nail it down and you need a hand, I'm sure the B&M will wick it for you again, just ask them to show you with your cotton.

Last edited:

rob m

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I agree with the wicking issue. The picture you provided shows one of the tails darkened. Japanese cotton pads are very easy to work with so you shouldn't have an issue wicking it. Peel the pad in half, cut an appropriate length along with the fibers. Remember that the cotton is going to expand a bit. What you want to do is just twist the tip of the cotton, keep the rest of the strip as is. Thread the strip through coil while holding the other end to keep a little tension. You want to feel a slight resistance, not loose like you can pull it out easy, but not too snug to where it starts pulling your mod. Trim your tails, tuck and juice it, you'll see it slightly expand and when looking at the coil you should see no gaps between the wick and coil.

I notice the cotton to give a taste when you vape it after a new wick, it goes away quickly though. The dry taste is choking the wick. A metallic taste means a loose wick.

Be careful with sub oh, operation, make sure your batteries are proper and your build is error free in respect to shorting issues, hot spots, and the amount of current you draw based on your mod.

Check this out
Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

This site lets you see pretty accurate coil possibilities without actually having to build.

I will def check the calculator out thanks. Yeah it was a little tight pulling them thru so I will pull the pad in half and try again. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread