Status
Not open for further replies.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I just very recently tied some of Koh Gen Do organic pure cotton. I was very skeptical as all other cottons Ive tried just sort of let me down. Aside from being messy, or difficult for my purposes, It tasted awful. I tried cotton candle wicks; yuck, dry cotton taste, even after boiled. It burned easy.

Tried reg cotton pads, q-tips, etc, yuck. Only cotton was surgical gauze, nice clean taste, but stringy and its being gauzy and stringy made it only usable in my little Fatty dripper. Nightmare for use on my Odysseus, KFL and Penelopes.

So a good friend sends me some of the Koh Gen Do. After seeing a "how to " on YouTube I get the nerve. Great stuff. ITs working so great its like I got new atomizers. More vapor, better taste etc. Best of all, Im able to go thru 12 ml with out it tasting dirty. coils just seem to stay cleaner, very weird. Of course my very dirty heavy syrup like NETs are a different story, but they taste even better, more subtle taste.

So I ordered some of the Koh Gen Do and I was lucky to get what seems like the last package. ITs sold out at Amazon, Sephora, Barneys, and some other place.

I found this and from what I can see it looks just like it . Has anyone use this? Its from Japan also, Labo Organic Cotton Puffs

Sorry for the gigantic images, but I guess its good. I will let you all know when it gets here . Its going to take a long while since its coming from Japan Ordered it Sat and its estimated to get here between May 30 and June 20th, I should have paid the extra for shipping, its free shipping.
[h=1][/h]
41Y1EJZVyxL.jpg

81IQUChK56L._SL1500_.jpg

illitirit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
United States
dude i have been looking for koh gen do myself, I CANT FIND IT anywhere that isnt trying to gouge you. If you buy off their own website, its 12$ but the shipping charge is in the 20$+ range. Im using organic cotton balls from Whole foods and while they are okay, it def doesnt taste as pure as it can be.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Looks like its in stock here and free shipping, also try Barneys New York, thats where I got mine, also free shipping. This stuff above looks just like the KGD. You get almost twice as much and less price. I get a little "off" taste on the first and second puff, but it goes away fast, definitely less taste than a new piece of Ekowool which Ive been using for over a year.

Last edited:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I know, my son keeps telling me the same about eating seafood. But only thing I know is the Japanese are freaks about things being "impure" hell they are the ones that started all the water testing and found that Evian was one of the most impure. I would not even know how to go about finding out where in Japan the cotton is grown and the cleaning process. I know the KGD pads are not bleached and have little tiny seeds you can see. I was very skeptical about it, but as much as I tried to find faults with it, Im very impressed with this stuff.

If I could find the same quality and form made here in the US, Id buy it in a heartbeat. So far all my searching comes up with the KGD and the one above that looks like this. I was thinking the feel of this stuff really looks and feels like an airy felt. If I could find a nice un-dyed, un bleached cotton felt , I think it would work great as wick material.

Last edited:

Cucco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Bonita Springs, Florida, USA
I am not having much luck with the KGD in my KFLs. I really want to like it. It is nice to work with. I keep giving it another chance. I will probably give it another chance. But....

1) I don't like the taste; 2) It just makes my vaping not quite right.

I don't know. Everyone says it is great. Maybe, it is just me. :(

BTW: I am KFL/microcoil/100% vg coffee/.6 ohms. :)

Cucco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Bonita Springs, Florida, USA
Does it wick well or is it maybe filtering out the coffee flavour. I noticed on my thick really sediment filled NET tobaccos it does mute the flavour.

I don't know. I am going to build two KFLs with it right now. I am determined to like this crap. So easy to work with. Last time I used it, I had some flooding. Really? I have built hundreds of KFL builds. I never have flooding.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
It is so absorbent I was worried that it would leak, especially with the heat these days. I was using Ekowool and it started leaking a little bit with the heat going up. Its working really nice on the KFL , I just had made sure that it fit well in the coil, snug but still loose enough to slide around, Then cut the tails to just barely touch the end of the wells.

What is muting on the taste is the sucralose, synthetic taste. When I built it back with ekowool my juice seemed so synthetically sweeter. You were using reg rolled cotton? :) I do love the ease of use and how I can cut it and its even and I can build it consistently. With other cottons , my OCD comes in and I cant ever seem to get it the same the next build. Either I didnt use enough , or too much and I never seemed to get the same build to the next, like I did with Ekowool.

So far , I am so grateful my "good" buddy sent it to me.;-)

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I finally got the order of the other cotton by LABO. It looks just like the Koh Gen DO. It is a smaller pad , but you get 200 pads. ITs not as dense as the KGD, and its a bit more fibrous, or fly away, but works great.
It took all this time to get here from Japan, but you do get more for your money.

Just thought Id share my findings in case the KGD is hard to find and you have time to wait for it.

It seems both these will last a long time, Im still using the same little "care" package my buddy sent me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramsay Bolton

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I got a box of Koh Gen Do, and have been experimenting with it for a couple weeks in my drippers. It's very easy to work with, for sure. What I've found is that you don't want to roll it too tight, because it's already compressed more than regular organic or sterile cotton balls. The jury is still out, for me anyway. I really want to like the stuff, because it is so expensive. But I don't know that the price justifies the cost, and the difficulty in finding it. So far, I don't see the difference between this and just plain old cotton that you can get at any drug store is that drastic.

weinner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2012
ohio :-(
I would'nt knowingly eat much less inhale anything from Japan. Would you happen to know what part of Japan it came from? I just saw a report on how contaminated the mushrooms are from there. Fukushima is still spewing it's garbage day after day for three years+.

I didn't even think of that. I would love to see what the the levels of the isotopes in it.

The say they check stuff coming from over there, but who knows. They also raised the allowance levels of isotopes since that craziness.

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA
What cracks me up is now after KGD replenished (I think all US vendors where completely out maybe ~ 2-3 weeks ago) the box I got has a lot more husk in it (dark spots) which I have been plucking out, at least where the coils will sit.

Coincidence? or maybe responding to the demand has lowered QC?

Also heard out folks using shiseido and muji.

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
What cracks me up is now after KGD replenished (I think all US vendors where completely out maybe ~ 2-3 weeks ago) the box I got has a lot more husk in it (dark spots) which I have been plucking out, at least where the coils will sit.

Coincidence? or maybe responding to the demand has lowered QC?

Also heard out folks using shiseido and muji.

Muji is what's stating to pop off in my town now. My town is big on organic cotton balls and organic yarn. A local juice maker gave me a few pads wile I was talking to him at one of the vape shops around my area. He used it in his kayfuns with the juice he makes and sells at the shop. You can use it in a dripper as well of course. I just ordered a whole bag of it myself and I’m experimenting with it. For the kayfun, you supposed to roll it furry side out, with the drippers furry side in (so I was told). Don't roll it to tight, like was already mentioned.

Muji comes in “White” and also “unbleached”… you want the unbleached, which will be more of a super light grey and have some speckles in it (just like cotton pulled off the plant does).

Here’s what the bag looks like.
muji pads.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread