Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
Bloody hell! And they STILL managed to turn it against us!

Conclusions
E cigarettes were used mainly to quit smoking, and may be helpful for this purpose, but several respondents were concerned about potential toxicity. There are very few published studies on e cigarettes and research is urgently required, particularly on the efficacy and toxicity of these devices.

They ended the thing on a NEGATIVE note! Imagine my surprise...:mad:

Tampa2

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tampa
www.gatorvapor.com
Here is one I read recently courtesy of Bill Godsall;

Another survey finds e-cigarettes help smokers quit and reduce health risks (from Chapter 19 of tobacco Harm Reduction 2010 Yearbook)
THR2010. (tobaccoharmreduction.org)

Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) as potential tobacco harm reduction products: Results of an online survey of e-cigarette users

Heavner, Dunworth, Bergen, Nissen and Phillips

All respondents previously smoked and 91% had attempted to stop smoking before trying ecigarettes. Most respondents resided in the USA (72%) and 21% were in Europe. About half (55%) were 31-50, while 32% were >50 years old. Most (79%) of the respondents had been using e-cigarettes for <6 months and reported using them as a complete (79%) or partial (17%) replacement for, rather than in addition to (4%), cigarettes. The majority of respondents reported that their general health (91%), smoker’s cough (97%), ability to exercise (84%), and sense of smell (80%) and taste (73%) were better since using e-cigarettes and none reported that these were worse. Although people whose e-cigarette use completely replaced smoking were more likely to experience improvements in health and smoking caused symptoms, most people who substituted e-cigarettes for even some of their cigarettes experienced improvements.

These are highly motivated and passionate e-cigarette users who may have different experiences than average e-cigarette users or smokers, and thus the estimates cannot be extrapolated to all smokers or e-cigarette users. However, the results still suggest that very few e-cigarette users are not using them to replace cigarettes and there are many switchers and current smokers who could have the reported experience. Unfortunately e-cigarettes have been banned in some jurisdictions (e.g., Canada, Victoria (Australia)) where switching from cigarettes to e-cigarettes was documented. The lack of available and legal e-cigarettes may cause some users to resume smoking.

tristessa363

May 18, 2010
Houston, TX
I was a little bit peeved that the Etter survey did not follow up the medication question with a question about why you take it. Wellbutrin is for smoking cessation as well as for depression. I felt the need to be honest and admit to taking it, but I felt that this would skew the results. I sent this email:

I think that you should add a response to your survey or make a box for comments. I have been taking bupropion for almost a year (for depression) and that is not what helped me quit smoking. I think the distinction needs to be made - I wasn't sure if I should say that I take it (since it's not for smoking cessation), and I'm sure others have had the same uncertainty.

The initial survey did have a comment box, which I filled out explaining my response. But the follow up surveys did not. I'm not even sure that they are paying attention to the comments when tallying the results.
I haven't smoked in over 2 weeks because of the e-cigarette; I never even tried to quit before. I don't want bupropion to get credit that it doesn't deserve. In fact, I'm considering discontinuing it since it hasn't been effective in treating depression either...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread