jogging = impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyro12

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2011
Pittsburgh
I start jogging every summer. I've been doing this for ~4 years. At first, it's really hard on my lungs - I'm out of breath after a lap or two. I keep going though, and after a few weeks it gets easier. I've always attributed this to my (heavy) smoking. By no means am I trying to say that I manage to clean my lungs out by jogging -my lungs are always the limiting factor- but it does get easier.

I started vaping in March and, with the exception of the occasional drunken bummed analog, have been smoke free for over a month. I can't tell you the exact date because it wasn't a conscious decision - it just happened :D At any rate, I was excited to start jogging again and had high hopes for better lung function.

Anyhow, to the point: I started jogging again in May and it's SO MUCH HARDER. I get short of breath after a lap and am breathing hard enough after two that I freak out other joggers. It's not getting any better.

I vape heavily on the VG side, but not pure VG. I'm starting to think that the VG/PG just coats our lungs like tar did. I had hoped that it passed into the blood stream and the liver/kidneys/et al eventually caused me to pee it out...

THoughts?

Also, I DO feel as though I can take a deeper breath which doesn't really correlate with my complaint.

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
Last fall I started buying VG base juice or juice that was a good portion VG. Prior to that I vaped PG only. What I noticed over the winter was that the window next to my computer where I normally sit an vape would develop a film on the inside of the glass. I was cleaning the window every 3 weeks. Never noticed that problem with PG. That got me to thinking what else VG is leaving a film on. Since then I've been gone back to PG juice or juices that have a low level of VG. Kind of tough to do when a favorite of mine is a 50/50 mix.

flbutterfly1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2010
Interlachen, Florida
Same here 70/30vg can't breathe I had to quit vaping for a month. My lungs just felt sticky or something. I kept coughing up clear stuff. I think it was the last year of 30% vg that finally caught up to me. I quit vaping 4 weeks ago (not by choice). Started making my own pg juices and don't inhale very often so I think my vaping is going to come to an end even though I love it so. I quit cigs june 18 last year and I was able to breathe well all last summer up till just a few weeks ago and thats when the coughing started. I will still get it even though I stopped vg I also think it had to do with the peppermint flavors I was using so now I use menthol instead.

bjannr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
When I started last June, I bought all VG juices. I had an doily film on my windshield that reminded me of the smoke film. Now all my juices are a mix, PG/VG in various proportions. I no longer get the film. I started with VG because I thought that was safer to vape. Needless to say I have changed my mind. Also with the mix, my hardware lasts longer.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I vape heavily on the VG side, but not pure VG. I'm starting to think that the VG/PG just coats our lungs like tar did. I had hoped that it passed into the blood stream and the liver/kidneys/et al eventually caused me to pee it out...

THoughts?

How much water are you drinking? PG will dehydrate you and to piss out Anything, the body needs water.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Odd. I run every day. I did while smoking and do now vaping. If anything, I think I can run longer now than before. Maybe not a lot, but definitely not less. I never had lung issues and my legs tend to give out first. I drink a huge amount of water, but I did before I started vaping too. I vape 70pg/30vg.

Maybe it's unrelated to vaping.

guido61

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2011
Anzio (Rome, Italy)
i started with a 50Pg 40VG 10H2O base and didnt see any improvement with my lungs.
Now I switched to 80PG 15VG 5H2O and it's much much better.
Also i'm down to 9mg/ml nic
Worth a try.

Edit: after 3 months of vaping, your body is still trying to get rid of all the crap from years of analogs.
you will probably start to feel more benefits in six or more months. Evereybody reacts differently, so time may vary.
just my 2 cants.

Last edited:

pyro12

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2011
Pittsburgh
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like VG is the most likely culprit. I'll start ordering PG juice, but I'm not wasting the couple hundred mls of VG juice I have. I'll try diluting it with some PG and see if that helps...

Have you gained any weight?

I may have gained ~5lbs. My clothes still fit. Also, I'm ~215lbs so even if I do go up to 220lbs that's only a 2-3% increase (I'm 6'6" - not fat)

I drink quite a bit of water. Probably not a full gallon on most days, but well over half.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
No, I just noticed for me, even a few pounds makes a difference when I run. Kills my knees. Also, as I get older it does tend to get harder to run if I haven't been running. **NOT saying you're old or that you're fat. Boy, I'm really sticking my foot in my mouth today! :facepalm:

I'm not saying this is your issue. But if it isn't the VG I'm just trying to think of other reasons that might cause this to happen. If it it the PG, at least it's an easy fix. A little harder to find a time machine.:laugh:

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I also have issues with VG,makes my chest hurt and causes me to break out.It seems much more oily than PG.The PG is great as long as you hydrate.

Ditto. This is exactly my experience. I noticed the tightness and ache in my chest while lying down - had to add a pillow to elevate myself a little more.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
My suggestion on the heavy breathing during running is to stop. It’s dangerous. The 80’s aerobics way of exercise is dying. New research shows that you’ll shorten your life with aerobics (see Harvard studies below). The way to rebuild your lung capacity is interval training (IT). According to medical research, even a 2 pack-a-day smoker can reverse lung damage by IT.

As you age, cells in your lungs start to die off faster than you replace them – causing your lungs to shrink, limiting your strength, stamina and disease-fighting power. And according to research done by Dr. Dean Ward, by the time you're 50, you've lost 40% of your breathing capacity. He even found that lung capacity is the key indicator of how long you'll live.

Where long-duration exercise causes your heart and lungs to shrink, IT does just the opposite. It builds up reserve capacity in your heart (the only way to avoid a heart attack) and triggers the expansion of your lungs (your ticket to a long, disease-free life).

A few years ago, Harvard researchers published the Harvard Health Professionals Study. After studying over 7,000 people they found that the key to preventing heart disease is intensity – NOT long-duration exercise.

In another Harvard study, intensity turned out to be the key to longevity and reduced risk of death. This study also revealed that long-distance runners have a higher risk of sudden cardiac death than other athletes.

If you like to run, your workout should go more like this clip from Runner’s World:

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Thanks Swedish Fish.

I have the "PACE: Rediscover Your Native Fitness" workout book and the DVD that explains the actual workout a whole lot better. I I.T. on my mini-trampoline b/c I like to include lymph circulatory work along with it. Kinda like killing 2 birds w/one stone- slims the chances of getting arthritis and osteoporosis and minimizing it if you already have it.

NASA has all their astronauts on mini-trampolines which are actually called rebounders. Quoting a study they did on rebounding: “Exercise on a rebounder or mini trampoline is the most efficient and effective exercise yet devised by man”. It is 68% more efficient than jogging (NASA, Journal of Applied Physiology 49(5): 881-887)

For whole summary, you can find it here: ReboundAir: The World Famous Rebounder Mini Trampoline from Al Carter

I used to be a jogger and got shin splints so badly I couldn’t sleep til they healed. Since then, I bought two rebounders one of which is always set up in my living room.

I luv, luv, luv Zumba. A good pick, b/c that’s interval training.

Here's a clip from a doctor from the Longevity Medical Center in Los Angeles on the health benefits of Rebound Exercisere rebounding if you're interested:

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
I'm heavy on the VG. Have been since I started. Minimum VG I've ever vapped is 50/50% blend. Been at it more than a year. Off tobacco at least six months. I've noticed I'm hacking up a clear phlegm. I'm convinced my lungs are expelling VG when it accumulates. I'm not convinced it's bad, just that I'm taking it in faster than my body can process/remove it. I have less problem with my lungs now than when I was smoking. I walk 3 to 3.5 hours at work at least 5 nights a week. I don't run anywhere. And, if you think I'm a gonna jump up and down on one of those tramps, it ain'ta gonna happen. At 67 yo, I break sumptin it will take forever to mend. I could bust my ... on one of those things. . .it's already cracked. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

pyro12

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2011
Pittsburgh
No offense taken, Swedisfish. I am, in fact, starting to realize I'm getting older. I'm 39 and I've noticed things don't heal as quickly as they used to. A couple weeks ago, I thought it would be a good idea to grab a sledge hammer and demolish a wall without so much as swinging a softball bat in 15 years. It was actually a lot of fun (and REALLY messy - yes I wore a mask), but I really tweaked my back (in retrospect I should have expected this) and instead of being stiff for a couple days and then being fine, it's taking much longer to heal. I'm starting to think I finally have to lower back pain that my dad and brother deal with on a daily basis.

Thanks, Seabrook. I'll try the interval training for awhile. I had assumed that as long as I wasn't dizzy when I finished that I was okay. It just strikes me as odd that my lungs feel so good. I feel like I can take a far deeper breath than I could a few months ago. I guess that doesn't mean I can take in more Oxygen...

I'm still leaning towards the VG being the problem, but 1/3 of my desk is covered in little bottles of the stuff and I'm not going to waste it all. I have two bottles of PG; about 10ml of 555 and 15ml of cappuchino. I'm going to try those the next day I go jogging. Perhaps the VG gets absorbed/cleaned out overnight and one day of avoiding it will give results (I run at night after the sun has gone down).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread