Johnson Creek Wild Cherry - Non PG - 11mg

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_Struct

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Lufkin, TX
From being on the board for a few weeks, I've read countless reviews regarding Johnson Creek eliquids. I've heard some good and some not so good comments regarding the quality and consistency of their product.

I was really excited to receive a bottle of Johnson Creek Wild Cherry (thanks again, Spikey) a few days ago, in the hopes that I would be able to what all the fuss (or disgust) was about, myself.

Let me preface this brief review by stating that I'm not a huge fan of cherry-flavored anything. I love ACTUAL cherries, but I've always had a problem with the attempts to synthesize such a flavor. Not sure why. It's just never been something I liked, but I definitely went into this review with an open mind. I really wanted to give the taste time to grow on me.

When I got off work yesterday, I made it a point to go home, load up a new cartridge w/ the Johnson Creek Wild Cherry. My intention was to spend the evening giving it a shot.

From the moment I opened the bottle, I was struck by how thin the liquid seemed. Previously, I've used the Puresmoker Cola and Coconut liquids, so I had limited comparison points.

Upon beginning to vape, I tried to think about the taste of the liquid, where on the tongue I was "gripping" the taste as opposed to where I would get sensations if I were eating an actual cherry.

I quickly noticed that the Wild Cherry flavor lacks the usual tang and sweetness that I would expect from a fruity flavored liquid. The taste was much lighter and subdued. I got a much more bitter, throaty taste from it, not unlike cherry-flavored cough medicine or a throat lozenge. It really wasn't pleasant. No tip of the tongue sour sensation. No real hint of sweetness.

Vapor production was definitely diminished compared to the Puresmoker liquids. Where I might give the Puresmoker Coconut an 8 and Puresmoker Cola a 7, the Johnson Creek Wild Cherry came in at around a 2 or a 3.

I continued to puff, thinking that maybe the atomizer was just taking its time delivering the full flavor of the juice.... I was mistaken. That was it. There was no hidden dimension.

I honestly can say, with very little to compare it to, this is the worst flavor I've tried, to date. It was a taste that sticks with you, whether you like it or not.

After only about 30-45 minutes, I found myself loading up another cartridge of the Puresmoker Coconut, and ridding myself of the medicinal taste bud-rattling flavor.

Luckily, the flavor died very quickly after firing up a new flavor. This is most obviously due to the thin nature of the Johnson Creek liquid. As far as rankings are concerned, this was its greatest quality.

All in all, I give the Johnson Creek Wild Cherry flavor two thumbs down.

While I might have a bias against cherry flavors, in general, I could find very little redeeming about this particular flavor, and a hard time seeing how anyone could find comfort in the sensation found through vaping it.

I am certainly not saying that all Johnson Creek flavors are anywhere close to this, as I am really excited to give all of their other flavors a shot. I know that this wasn't necessarily the best start to our relationship, but I'll be more than willing to give the brand another go around.

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
Thanks for the review D_Struct......

I too found the wild cherry too much like cough medicine, and not wanting to waste "any" liquid in my inventory I triend blending it with the almond chocolate decadence which, in my opinion, wasn't all that bad. It kind of reminded me of those "cherry blossom" chocolate cover cherry candy bar things.

I find that ANY flavours created just don't have that natural match comparison, which I believe is caused by the added PG/VG, nicotine, and alcohol in the mix.

And I really think that anyone going into these liquids with the anticipation of taste matching with what a "natural" pure flavour would be is setting themselves up for a disappointment.

I look at it more like an opportunity to mess around with my tastebuds and frequently remind myself of the taste & aftertaste of the analogs while I use liquids, and realizing that, I much prefer what the liquids have to offer instead.

Plus, when I find ones I don't like, I'll experiment mixing within something else.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

VapeOn,
Greg

D_Struct

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Lufkin, TX
Thanks for the review D_Struct......

I too found the wild cherry too much like cough medicine, and not wanting to waste "any" liquid in my inventory I triend blending it with the almond chocolate decadence which, in my opinion, wasn't all that bad. It kind of reminded me of those "cherry blossom" chocolate cover cherry candy bar things.

I find that ANY flavours created just don't have that natural match comparison, which I believe is caused by the added PG/VG, nicotine, and alcohol in the mix.

And I really think that anyone going into these liquids with the anticipation of taste matching with what a "natural" pure flavour would be is setting themselves up for a disappointment.

I look at it more like an opportunity to mess around with my tastebuds and frequently remind myself of the taste & aftertaste of the analogs while I use liquids, and realizing that, I much prefer what the liquids have to offer instead.

Plus, when I find ones I don't like, I'll experiment mixing within something else.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

VapeOn,
Greg

No problem, Greg! I'm always willing to let people know what I think about things. For many, these forums are a guide to what they will try next, and I would love to be a resource for people just starting out.

While I DO agree that it's almost laughable to try and compare the flavored liquids to their real life counterparts, I think that you've got to have that in mind going in, to some respect.

I mean, why call it "Wild Cherry" if it's not going to taste anything like cherries, you know? Call it "Super Happy Berry Party Pack" or something to that effect. While you can't expect there to be a direct representation, you still have to look at how they are marketing the product in regards to the name and if it is a minor misrepresentation or an all out farce.

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
No, I hear ya & agree......

But its the nature of the beast in this business or any other to overexagerate to make a sale it appears. However unfortunate it is for us customers.

I didn't mean to imply otherwise. But, I also like to help out others here as well, so I sometimes play the devils advocate to offer a little insite and a different perspective when I'm able based simply on my own impressions or experience rather than having someone new or thinking of becoming a new vapor'er (is that even a word?? lol), come into a post and make a decision solely on one persons review, if you know what I mean.

Especially when it comes to taste buds.

Have a good one and........

VapeOn,
Greg

D_Struct

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Lufkin, TX
No, I hear ya & agree......

But its the nature of the beast in this business or any other to overexagerate to make a sale it appears. However unfortunate it is for us customers.

I didn't mean to imply otherwise. But, I also like to help out others here as well, so I sometimes play the devils advocate to offer a little insite and a different perspective when I'm able based simply on my own impressions or experience rather than having someone new or thinking of becoming a new vapor'er (is that even a word?? lol), come into a post and make a decision solely on one persons review, if you know what I mean.

Especially when it comes to taste buds.

Have a good one and........

VapeOn,
Greg

Most certainly! It's always best to have multiple opinions on things like this. Your input is always welcome!

• Deleted by CaSHMeRe
  • Reason: Spammm ... Supplier in Sheeps Clothing
Disclaimer... when I posted I was getting rid of a bunch of juice.. I did say I didn't like the cherry BECAUSE it tasted like cough syrup and also warned that you should try it in a crappy atomizer... cause it blew out 2 of mine (which came back to life after 2 days and 4 cleanings)... so ya can't say I didn't warn you :) LOL! Maybe someone who loves cherry cough syrup will come on and be really excited to try it after reading the review though? :) I remember one person saying that it was not as bad mixed with Vanilla.

D_Struct

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Lufkin, TX
Disclaimer... when I posted I was getting rid of a bunch of juice.. I did say I didn't like the cherry BECAUSE it tasted like cough syrup and also warned that you should try it in a crappy atomizer... cause it blew out 2 of mine (which came back to life after 2 days and 4 cleanings)... so ya can't say I didn't warn you :) LOL! Maybe someone who loves cherry cough syrup will come on and be really excited to try it after reading the review though? :) I remember one person saying that it was not as bad mixed with Vanilla.

Oh, I'm not griping about the items you sent at all!

I wanted to try as many flavors as possible. Good or bad.

It helps me formulate my own opinion about them, and that's always a good thing.

Oh, I'm not griping about the items you sent at all!

I wanted to try as many flavors as possible. Good or bad.

It helps me formulate my own opinion about them, and that's always a good thing.

I know.. I was just makin sure everyone who never saw the original post about them knew that I didn't try to sneakily push off bad flavors on you lol!

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
I know.. I was just makin sure everyone who never saw the original post about them knew that I didn't try to sneakily push off bad flavors on you lol!

uh huh...

Sneaky bad flavor pusher!

Picture20.jpg

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Have to say I don't mind the JC Wild Cherry at all. I wouldn't say its great, but its OK. It reminds me of cherryade (the citric acid in the JC liquids adds to this, giving it a sharp taste). I had the 24mg PG version. Vapour and throat hit are a bit below par. I wouldn't buy it in a big bottle, but the little sampler gets used occasionally.

I think it tastes kinda like what my kids' cherry scented shampoo smells like. I don't like it, but waste not want not, I dumped it and the bottle of vanilla ice cream (sampler size) into my empty 15 ml bottle of tenn cured and it's not too bad mixed like that. I have to say that my favorite Jc's are tenn cured and orig tobacco. I LOVED the kona coffe when I first got it, but I find it too strong now and it sticks to your atomizer for a long time. The only reason I went with JC juice is because it is American made, but now I need to try some Chinese stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread