Not open for further replies.

chohan

Earthbound Misfit
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
NC Foothills
Journey of a Tainted Vape Cartridge: From China's Labs to Your Lungs

I thought this was an eye-opening read, especially the part dealing with the Bao'An District of Shenzhen, China and a region near LA's Skid Row known as the Toy District. Also a nice breakdown on the THC distillates like Honey Cut, etc.

As you know, we legal nicotine vapers are really paying the price for the sins of others and the whole "kids and flavors" thing is just icing on a camel dung cake.

cheers

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
I find the headline a bit misleading. The empty cartridges from China aren't the source of the problem. It's what they're being filled with here in the US.
I agree with this relative to unsafe cutting agents going into what appears to be, more often than not, bootleg product (manufactured in a "lab" that is not compliant with testing and purity regulations).

On the other hand, I disagree with respect to other parts of the supply chain. Technically the counterfeit carts and packaging are enablers, that have also been proven to contain various contaminants due to shoddy manufacturing. Unfortunately, if they aren't made in China, someone will make them somewhere else as long as there is a demand. So I'm not calling it a China problem or an import problem. Just that these things exist.

The two big take-aways for me from the OP link were:
1. On the supply side, this problem is much bigger than most news reports suggest. The health crisis is certain to get worse before it gets better. I think we're just seeing the start of it.
2. The demand side is just as big an influence. It's not just limited to covert drug users sourcing cheaper product with these tainted, bootleg products. Even in the mainstream nic-only products, users will overlook sketchy products for a cheaper price. To be fair, the latter is obviously much less dangerous (without the THC or vitamin E oil), but they're out there and people will keep scooping them up to get a deal. I'm not judging, but it's an unfortunate fact.

Ultimately I think the vape industry is a victim of its own success. Up until the latest pod systems came out, vaping had a substantial learning curve and fiddle factor to make it work. Usually only hard to quit smokers would ever waste the time and money. Now it's in a package that's easy as a cigarette. Tear it out of the wrapper and you're good to go. It really wasn't a huge leap for some entrepreneurs to figure out ways to exploit that outside of the mainstream intended use.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Even in the mainstream nic-only products, users will overlook sketchy products for a cheaper price. To be fair, the latter is obviously much less dangerous (without the THC or vitamin E oil), but they're out there and people will keep scooping them up to get a deal. I'm not judging, but it's an unfortunate fact.
I don't think the THC itself is the problem. I've never vaped it myself, but I know people have been vaping that for at least as long as nicotine.

As for finding a "deal", yeah, we see this here too. People love their cheap, Chinese hardware. Of course the best "deal" on nicotine e-liquid is to buy PG, VG, nic base, and flavorings from reputable US vendors and make it yourself. At that point, its cost becomes close to negligible; you can vape for $50-100 a year that way. But I understand many people have not wanted to be bothered with all that.

It's going to be interesting to see what effect the state (and next year FDA) bans have. I predict a poop-show, with plenty of consequences.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Wonder how long until we start to see these THC cartridges coming in across the southern border?
Wouldn't doubt if they already are...

If the cartels figure out it is a good way to monetize their stockpile of marijuana plants (due to legalization), tons of 'compatible Juul Pods', with hispanic subtitles, should arrive shortly.

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
I don't think the THC itself is the problem. I've never vaped it myself, but I know people have been vaping that for at least as long as nicotine.
On this I agree. The article even distinguishes between licensed, regulated labs and others operating outside the law. I have to admit, if it weren't for the fact that I hold a commercial drivers license and am subject to random drug testing, I'd have been tempted to try it myself. Of course not after the latest situation. I reside in a state where THC products are still prohibited, so substantially more likely to have gotten counterfeit or tainted product. Definitely something to be said about prohibition being a big driver of the illicit marketplace.

If the cartels figure out it is a good way to monetize their stockpile of marijuana plants (due to legalization), tons of 'compatible Juul Pods', with hispanic subtitles, should arrive shortly.
I'm sure they already are. The rental house "labs" are getting the raw materials somewhere, and it's probably not China.

• Agree
Reactions: Sloth Tonight

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Definitely something to be said about prohibition being a big driver of the illicit marketplace.
Yep, this is, IMO, what the conversation should be focused on in light of recent events. But no, instead they're looking to essentially expand said illicit marketplace by banning flavors. :facepalm: Twilight zone.

chohan

Earthbound Misfit
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
NC Foothills
I find the headline a bit misleading. The empty cartridges from China aren't the source of the problem. It's what they're being filled with here in the US.

Agreed Rossum and I won't defend it, except to say I think they are just explaining the supply line from A to Z.

Back a few weeks ago, when I was playing detective and trying to figure out the problem. The vitamin E acetate clue led me to an article at that same site that had a link to some forum that these bootleg drug sellers post in and discuss things. They were discussing cutting agents and when the price of the legit distillate was mentioned, others would pop in and say things like, "but I can use this other cutting agent (forgot the exact name), etc. for half the cost?"

It became clear quite quickly the whole problem originated from greed. No surprise there. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread