Joye EGO and Cisco 306 Attys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
I am new to posting to ECF and posted this to the NEW forum but, didn't get any responses. Maybe too complicated I dunno. In any case I got my 5 posts in and can now post here.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a few Joye 306 LR attys (1.5 ohm) lying around that I hadn't used, until recently when I fired one up on my Joye EGO. Then, a couple of days later I was looking at the Cisco user's guide online and they warned that if using their attys on EGO/Riva batteries you just might get 'significantly reduced lifetime' on your batteries. So, knowing that the Cisco is 1.5 ohm and the ONLY thing that makes a difference here is the resistance (NOT the Manufacturer), I immediately stopped using my Joye 306LRs.

Now, a couple of caveats here.

First, I saw a UTube video on the Cisco attys and they metered in at 1.3 ohms, as opposed to the Joye 306LRs which metered in at 1.5.

Also, on the vendor where I get a lot of stuff now, Avid Vapor, they are now offerring Ciscos in 1.5, 1.8 and 2.0 ohm. They are also offerring 306es at 1.8, 2.2, 2.6 and 3.2 (but not 1.5), though I am not sure if these are genuine joyetech.

So, the question is, how low a resistance atty can you use on a Joye EGO and not be at risk for 'significantly reduced lifetime'?

Uh, to try to answer the question myself, I would think that you should not go below 1.5 ohms and, you are probably better off not going lower than 1.7/1.8 ohms, if you want to be sure. You can also stay at 2.0 or above if you want but that is probably being overly conservative.

No??

Thanks,

Zaratoughda

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
All other thing being equal (which they never are), the lower the current (measured in amps), the better it is for both your battery and your atomizer. However, the lower the amps current, the lower the watts power ... and power (i.e., vape intensity) is why so many of us like LR attys or higher voltage.

My rule of thumb for matching atomizer/cartomizer resistance with battery voltage is: keep the current under 2 amps. A 1.5 ohm atomizer on a 3.2V eGo battery generates 2.13 amps (Oy!). 2.0 ohms on that battery yields only 1.6 amps (sigh of relief). Even that 1.8 ohm atty wouldn't be bad: 1.77 amps. Many vapers are happy with the watts output of 2.0 ohms on a 3.2V eGo: 5.1 watts. I prefer it on a 3.7V Riva or mod: 6.8 watts ("sweet spot!") and 1.85 amps (pushing the envelope, but not too bad).

It's a balance of risk and reward: Play it very safe (<1.5 amps) and you'll get a mediocre vape ... take a huge risk (e.g., >2 amps) and you'll fry your hardware ... take a moderate risk (~1.75 amps) and you can get a great vape. And we're not talking risk to life and limb, but the risk of shortening the lifespan of batts and attys.

[FYI: Even without consulting Ohm's and Joule's Law or fooling with math equations, you can quickly determine the amps (and the watts), by using this quick and easy online utility. Enter any two variables (e.g., the ohms and the volts) and it calculates the other two (e.g., the amps and the watts).]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread