Joyetech Delta II appears to use fiberglass/ceramic paper...

Status
Not open for further replies.

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
Hey friends!

The user nopoison (thanks) passed on the pbusardo video where he breaks down the joyetech Delta II coil, and it definitely looks like these aren't 100% cotton. The material appears identical to the material being phased out of the Atlantis BVC coils for cotton (Cotton Atlantis BVCs are shipping now unmarked, but no word on the smaller BVCs yet).

If you aren't aware, the Atlantis first started shipping coils using a filler of fiberglass/ceramic fibers wrapped with a thin layer of cotton. Unfortunately, based on the studies of these materials there's every reason to believe they're doing minute yet permanent long-term pulmonary damage. In my mind they're a dark joke, but there's a solid thread hashing over the science over here for you to make up your own mind:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ficial-statement-atlantis-coils-material.html

You can see the material used in the video breakdown at around 36:00:

Anyways mates, your health and choices are your own business, but it just makes sense to inform people of this before and if they've picked one of these up so they can make informed decisions of their own. If I had one, I'd look at recoiling with straight cotton if possible as that material is bad news bears. Big points to pbusardo for tearing apart that coil, too.

Last edited:

nopoison

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Columbus, OH
I'm have the Atlantis, but I'm looking for at the delta 2 to replace it. It's there anything better then the delta?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Aspire has "supposedly" started shipping all cotton replacement heads for the Atlantis. I ordered a 5 pack and will let everyone know how it looks in the Atlantis thread.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I'm still waiting for an official statement from Joyetech.

But this makes me wonder about other Joyetech (egrip CS) and Eleaf iSmoka (GS Air, Melo) coils also. :evil:

Melo coils are described as having "glass cotton" in them on their site, and as organic Japanese cotton elsewhere.

Please see post #629.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I will look into this mini. Is the regular size not good?

All Kanger Subtanks use the same organic Japanese cotton coils--this has been confirmed by many users. Kanger's OCC coils have been taken apart and inspected.

Last edited:

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Never hurts to err on the side of safety but I think most all of the over the top reaction is just hype.
Built up fast and blown outta proportion due to social networking

Hey each to their own but for me, if the wick stays wet and I don't get a dry hit, the chances of inhaling anything other than vapour is quite low. When the flavour or performance wanes? I'll toss it, or rebuild it with cotton. No biggie.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Never hurts to err on the side of safety but I think most all of the over the top reaction is just hype.
Built up fast and blown outta proportion due to social networking

Hey each to their own but for me, if the wick stays wet and I don't get a dry hit, the chances of inhaling anything other than vapour is quite low. When the flavour or performance wanes? I'll toss it, or rebuild it with cotton. No biggie.

There are different kinds of silica; one kind is OK for vaping--and it's been discussed on this forum for quite some time, long before Aspire introduced their fiberglass/ceramic wicking material. Amorphous silica, commonly used in wicks by all (or most) e-cig manufacturers, has been deemed safe by our resident chemists and is even approved by FDA for use in food and medicine.

Please read this post by tenshi, and this one by Boden, and [URL="http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-vaping/377764-dangers-silica-wicks-5.html#post9181477"]this one by Kurt, [/URL]our resident chemist and a person I trust completely in all matters related to chemistry.

More on the subject:

http://srs.unm.edu/industrial-hygiene/media/docs/silica.pdf

"Amorphous Silica: Multiple studies have found amorphous silica to be biologically inert when
ingested and inhaled, with the exception of extruded fiberglass and ceramic fibers (which have been
designated as carcinogens by the National Toxicology Program), which are hazardous due to their
very small size and their high length to width aspect ratio. Because of this inertness, the US Food
and Drug Administration permits the use of amorphous silica (not fiberglass or ceramic fibers!) in food
and medicine.
"

It may be no biggie for some, but it is a biggie for others.

I don't want to inhale fiberglass.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
My main complaint (atm) is that manufacturers are not giving us enough information to allow anyone to make an informed decision. That's why there is all this speculation. This didn't start that way. Instead it started with simple, straight forward requests that were answered with what amounts to "Don't worry, trust us". Huh? That doesn't work for me.

Afterall, this is THR. I'm willing to accept that inhaling anything other than air will carry some risk (including polution). But I've held this industry up to a higher standard of transparency. Intentionally blowing off concerns is a no go, whether it's harmful or not. They say these materials are tested and then can't or reuse to provide the results. This was with one manufacturer and now it appears that 3 leading manufacturers of the latest tank/coil systems are now doing it. So this appears as if it might be an industry wide issue and growing.

I'm all for not dividing up the industry at this time when FDA and states are looking for reasons to end vaping as we know it, but not at our expense and at the expense of transparency. One of the main reason's I object to FDA regulations and BT's involvement is their history of lying and decieving the public with tactics such as this. You betcha I don't want to see this enter the vaping community right now.

Now I'm wondering what is in the clone coils.

Last edited:

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
Yea, I saw that. I liked the Delta 2 when I first got it but it's a real PITA in so many ways. This news ices it, it's going in the trash.

Since it's steel, hopefully you meant recycling. ;) In fairness, you could spend another $15+shipping for the RTA module and use it that way. I get that it could have enough drawbacks in other areas that it isn't worth it to double down.

The mini version isn't really small, and they changed a few things with the RTA build deck on the mini that many prefer, though lots are starting to forgo the RTA section and just rebuild the coils. I'd definitely check it out reviews on the changes and see if they're up your alley.

My main complaint (atm) is that manufacturers are not giving us enough information to allow anyone to make an informed decision.

Agreed wholeheartedly. These are being sold and marketed as cotton, and that isn't cotton.

KC33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
Ft. Lauderdale, FL USA

I was thrilled when I got the regular size and with the replacement coils it vapes great. The reason why I recommend the Mini is that it's a bit smaller, the original is huge, but still holds over 4 mL of juice. The RBA on the original is awful but the one on the Mini is really good. I think the Mini is the best choice.

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Canada
I broke one down just now for myself. Yes I watched the video but I wanted to do it myself. I use it as a (great mind you) low ohm RTA at .2 ohm so I dont care but after breaking it down I will *never* use them. I had 7 in total they went in the trash. My wifes got plucked right from her Delta II as she was vapeing and thrown away. I will *only* use a premade head if it is 100% organic cotton. I personally care a great deal. The Delta II in some ways IMO out performs my Lemo. They both do diffrent things. Its a great RTA, better then the ST IMO but I wont use the pre made heads. I love it as an RTA with a low ohm build. It really chucks some serious clouds the way I got it rigged up. I mean its on the same level cloud wise as a non cloud chaseing dripper. The flavour is great as well. I vape it at 80w with a .2 ohm 24 gauge kanthal build. Wicked with rayon I never get a dry hit and as I said the way I got it rigged it really puts out the clouds if thats your thing.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
I'm taking issue with joyetech now too as in the faq's on their site under ego one it states 100% organic cotton was used. That's fine but when I ripped the head apart it had the same crumbly fiber that was found in the delta 2. Obviously they did use 100% organic cotton, but I don't think that that is ALL they used in these heads.

I believe they ARE trying to mislead us and that is NOT okay!!!

Did BT buy these guys up behind our backs to undermine an entire industry and products? (CONSPIRACY!!!) LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread