Joyetech eGo charger super slow to charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
I have two eGo chargers, one came with an EVOD kit I purchased last fall and one I bought standalone as an extra recently. The new one is a genuine joyetech (came in Joyetech packaging from a good vendor listed as an official vendor on the Joyetech web site). I switched to using Joyetech eGo-c Twists over the last 3 months because I like the regulated voltage and one is 650mAh and two are 1100mAh models for extra longevity, and bought them from the same Joyetech vendor as the charger.

Anyway, I've noticed when using the new charger that it takes forever for the Joyetech charge to charge any of the eGo-C batteries. I put one only partially discharged 1100 battery on the Joyetech charger last night and as of 8 this morning the charger still showed it was charging -- red LED. I can only think of a couple of times where the Joye charger went to solid green.

Both chargers exhibit the same basic behavior when charging -- red LED on most of the time, and switches to green briefly, then back to red until the battery is charged and the Green LED stays on. I assume the toggling to green is due to the charging checking the battery state and resuming charge when it doesn't sense a full charge.

None of the batteries exhibit any problems. I use them at 3.8v and I think I've only run the first one down to discharged state a couple of times.

Both chargers are plugged into the same powered USB hub.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I have two eGo chargers, one came with an EVOD kit I purchased last fall and one I bought standalone as an extra recently. The new one is a genuine Joyetech (came in Joyetech packaging from a good vendor listed as an official vendor on the Joyetech web site). I switched to using Joyetech eGo-c Twists over the last 3 months because I like the regulated voltage and one is 650mAh and two are 1100mAh models for extra longevity, and bought them from the same Joyetech vendor as the charger.

Anyway, I've noticed when using the new charger that it takes forever for the Joyetech charge to charge any of the eGo-C batteries. I put one only partially discharged 1100 battery on the Joyetech charger last night and as of 8 this morning the charger still showed it was charging -- red LED. I can only think of a couple of times where the Joye charger went to solid green.

Both chargers exhibit the same basic behavior when charging -- red LED on most of the time, and switches to green briefly, then back to red until the battery is charged and the Green LED stays on. I assume the toggling to green is due to the charging checking the battery state and resuming charge when it doesn't sense a full charge.

None of the batteries exhibit any problems. I use them at 3.8v and I think I've only run the first one down to discharged state a couple of times.

Both chargers are plugged into the same powered USB hub.

If it were me, I'd send it back. I have 7 joye chargers going (between DW and myself) and have never had a battery go more than 3 hours to charge a 1000mAh... And while you may be saying 1100 for an actual 1000mAh batt but Joye only makes the 650, 900 and 1000mAh batts. All 1100's and 1300's are some other manufacturer.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Are you sure it's actually a charger for eGo batteries?

Read the info on the ratings plate on both chargers. An eGo charger will be:

Output: DC 4.2 volts, 420 mA

If it says anything else for output current - like 150 mA - you have a cigalike charger instead. It can charge an eGo - but it will take 10+ hours to do so.

Joyetech started making cigalike chargers in the last year of so in the same USB dongle form factor as the original eGo charger. The only way to tell them apart is to read the ratings plate. By accident either by ordering the wrong one or being sent the wrong one you may the wrong charger.

Last edited:

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
The ratings plate matches the eGo spec. I moved it to a new USB charging port, maybe it had a bad connection or something.

I checked my the one that came with my EVOD kit and it shows 4.2 500mA, although I can't believe 80mA would make any difference or if the 500mA label on it isn't just some kind of "close enough" label.

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
I moved it to a new port, put a partially charged 1000 eGo-C twist on it last night and this morning the Joye charger was still red (and would still toggle to green as per usual). However, if I put it on the EVOD charger, that charge doesn't turn red.

So maybe it's charging but just not switching to a fully charged status?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread