Joyetech Espion mod with ProCore X tank review by Mjag. Good or blah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
Sometimes you get a surprise delivery, it can be good or bad. I did not know joyetech had sent me the Espion mod with ProCore X kit until it showed up....let's find out if this is one of those good or bad surprises.

What you get

• Espion mod
  • ProCore X tank
  • ProC1 (0.4ohm) head preinstalled
  • ProC1-S (0.25ohm) head
  • Spare glass for 4.5ml
  • Extended vent pipe for 4.5ml
  • USB cable
  • Manual
  • Warranty card
  • Warning card
  • Spare o'rings
Available in 3 colors

ESPION_with_ProCore_X_01.png

Specs

• Mod size: 44mm(L)*28mm(W)*83mm(H)
  • Screen type: 1.45 inch TFT color screen
  • Screen resolution: 240*320 dpi
  • Output wattage: 1-200W
  • Output mode: Power/RTC/TC(Ni, Ti, SS316)/TCR modes
  • Resistance range: 0.05-1.5ohm for TC/TCR mode
  • 0.1-3.5ohm for Power mode
  • Temperature range: 100-315°C/ 200-600°F
  • Battery using: Dual replaceable high rate 18650 cells (CDC
    ESPION_with_ProCore_X_03_t.png
    25A)
  • Max charging current: 2.0A
  • Max output current: 50A
  • Max output voltage: 9V

ProCore X

The ProCore X is a pretty basic tank, I really would have liked to see a nicer looking tank that would better match the slick looks of the Espion.

In 4.5ml mode on the Espion
P0RcEpx.jpg

kZPWZUT.jpg

It comes out of the box in 2ml mode but is expandable to 4.5ml with the included chimney extension and larger glass.

Broken down with 2 coils included in packaging, 2 glass sizes, chimney extension and spare o'rings.
Y7ufc6b.jpg

2ml mode
H4AdyOS.jpg

4.5ml mode
W8lNs56.jpg

I started my testing with the ProC1 0.4ohm coil in 2ml mode. It has a wattage rating of 40 to 80 watts but it is said to be best between 55 and 65 watts. If your a chain vaper like me then 65 watts would be too much, I got dry hits on my third pull. At 55 watts it was a lot better but on extended vape sessions I could still get a dry hit, lowering it to between 45 and 50 watts was better in my chain vaping sessions.

Flavor right off the bat was impressive, after the first day I was already looking for sites to order more coils. The flavor really came through and I was impressed, not a cloud beast but you would be looking at different tanks for that anyway, this is more for the flavor chasers.

The 2ml capacity makes fillups an all day affair, it got old after the first day so on went the 4.5ml chimney extension and larger glass. I wasn't expecting much loss in flavor but must admit it was not as tasty as the 2ml setup. Still good but a little was lost, I would definitely recommend keeping it in 2ml mode for the best in flavor, too bad there wasn't a bubble glass option to keep the height the same but increase capacity.

Coil life wasn't as good as I was hoping for, 10 days is not bad but I have tanks with coils that last me twice as long, 10 days for me is not great so that is a con.

Switching to the ProC1-S 0.25ohm MTL coil was a must, I am normally not a big MTL fan but this coil is more of a restrictive lung hit and I found it enjoyable. The wattage rating is 25 to 55 watts with a recommended range of 30 to 40 watts. 55 watts is just to hot for this coil unless you like the taste of singed cotton. I found for chain vaping 25 to 30 watts to be where I liked it, any higher and I could run into dry hits. It is a cloudy ....... for what is supposed to be a MTL coil, even with the airflow barely open and at 20 watts I could still get a decent cloud going.

Flavor on the ProC1-S MTL coil was good but a little lacking for me compared to the ProC1 0.4ohm coil which surprised me a little. Could just be my preference to more airflow but there was a definite difference in the flavor I got using the same juice. They were both tested in 2ml and 4.5ml configs as well but the 2ml ProC1 was the flavor combo for me.

The drip tip is more of a drip cover, much like the Aspire Cleito. I do not have an original Cleito to see if that drip cover would fit but do have a Cleito EXO but the cover from that tank is too big. You can remove the cover and some 510 drip tips will fit, usually the ones with dual o'rings but it looks funny with the exposed o'rings. Overall the included drip cover is fine, comfortable enough and not too big or small.

Overall the ProCore X is a good tank with great flavor in 2ml mode with the ProC1 coil. Looks are plain though, not really my cup of tea but maybe it's yours?

Espion mod

Right out of the box I was impressed with how small this mod was for a dual 18650. Not only that but the build quality and looks had me grinning from ear to ear. Then I put in a pair of batteries........ohhhhhhh, that screen, me likey.

Check out the screen comparison with the SXmini G Class, the Espion screen is bigger and easier to read as the fonts are bigger as well, I love this screen!
d2OtA0k.jpg

The menu is pretty easy to navigate once you get use to it, 3 clicks of the fire button to get into the menu, use the up/down button to navigate and then use the mode button to select. I do admit that sometimes I would forget and use the fire button to select like you do on a lot of other mods, hitting the fire button just takes you out of the menu your on. Joyetech made a nice little video to explain the operation so I am posting it here for those who want to check it out:

While being one of the smallest dual battery mods on the market it still accommodates a 28mm tank with no overhang.
pxBpClg.jpg

30mm tanks don't look bad if you can deal with 1mm overhang on the front and back.
qBAODxg.jpg

Of course 24mm tanks will look just fine, love that they centered the 510.
bzgoCcf.jpg

That's all sexy and what not but does it put out?

Yep, and then some. The Espion has been a joy to use in the month I have had it in both power and TC modes. It even has a RTC mode but that just means Real Time Clock which you can select either a digital or analog clock to be on the main screen as you vape. Even in just power mode you still get the time, it is in the top left corner.

Power mode left nothing to be desired and they even include a preheat if you so choose to use it. I did try the preheat which is user set, you choose the power of the preheat and well as the duration. I do like preheat but am not crazy about the set versions, I prefer the percentage based on the power you have set like Yihi and Smoant does it. If I am vaping at 75 watts with the Espion I have to go in and adjust my preheat, if I want it to fire at 95 watts for a half second then that is what I do. If I then change to a low wattage tank and set my main watts to 40 watts I better not forget to change my preheat, if not then I will get 95 watts for a half second. I actually did do this a few times, after awhile I just turned the duration of the preheat to 0 seconds which nullifies it.

Even without the preheat this mod fires up instantly. I know Voopoo talks about how fast there mods fire and I have a drag and like it. I put the same tank on both the Espion and Voopoo Drag and the Espion is just as fast, dare I say it, it felt a little faster. That is the one thing that kept amazing me about the Espion, how quickly it fired up and why I feel the preheat is not even necessary unless you have some huge gnarly coils. Very impressive power performance from the Espion and all the way up to 200 watts I never felt like it was lacking, this one is a winner.

TC performance was also very good....most of the time. I did have some occasions were it just didn't like some huge SS316L builds like the dual SS Aliens in my Aromamizer Plus which ohm out at 0.10. It would work sometimes but then other times it would kick me out of TC and back into power mode. I also had a few times when it didn't want to get the resistance right, kept the resistance from the previous tanks. This would mainly happen with low TC builds even though Joyetech lists a low of 0.05 for TC it definitely gets finicky when you get to 0.12 or less.
Aside from that though the TC performance was excellent, one of the better TC mods I have tested in it's price range. Combine that with it's excellent power mode performance and Joyetech really did a great job with the Espion, I love using it.

One thing to note is sometimes even in power mode it will retain the ohms from the last tank. I found that just unscrewing the new tank, hitting the power button so that it says "no atomizer" then screwing the new tank back on will clear that up. Doesn't happen all the time but has happened to me a handful of times in a month.

The fire button does have some play, I can tap it lightly and get some clickity click action going. It doesn't bother me much and shaking the mod does elicit any odd noises. I know it will get some peoples OCD to flare up though and it must be mentioned, just a small oversight on Joyetech's part from an otherwise solidly built mod.

Battery life has been pretty good, it doesn't have a puff counter so just going off of experience. It does have 2 amp internal charging so even on the go you can charge up quick.

Battery door has been solid and easy to use, no complaints there.
ABNzZye.jpg

7QRAKDQ.jpg

The 510 has been solid with good travel and all my tanks have sit flush.
1d2OQBE.jpg

It is mounted from underneath so no chance of 510 popping off and chucking you tank to the floor.
QeD3KJB.jpg

k9b9tPD.jpg

Size comparisons

I really am impressed with how Joyetech was able to make such a small dual battery mod and keep the 510 centered. I decided to round up some of my smaller dual 18650 mods so I can show you how small the Espion really is.

Shorter than the Alien and the same height as the Dovpo Trigger 168.
eUASKXA.jpg

The Battlestar is the same height and a little more comfortable to hold. The Cylon in bigger and taller but also accommodates 30mm tanks as opposed to the Espion's 28mm limit.
SQWgnyc.jpg

Smaller than both the Fuchai Duo 3 and Modefined Sirius.

beYmhR4.jpg

Feeling a little dwarfed by the VapeCige Creator and G Class.
n9b8kos.jpg

Pros:

• Great flavor from ProCore X tank with ProC1 coil in 2ml mode
  • 2ml and 4.5ml options
  • One of the smallest dual 18650 mods on the market
  • Excellent power mode performance with noticeably fast firing
  • Preheat mode
  • Excellent TC performance with builds higher than 0.12ohms
  • Solid construction on the Espion mod aside from the loose power button
  • Beautiful, big and easy to read color screen
  • Intuitive menu system

Cons:

• Coil life could be better
  • Drip tip not replacable
  • ProCore X tank is rather dull looking compared to the sexy Espion mod
  • Too much play on the fire button
  • Can have problem running builds 0.12ohms and below in TC
  • Will not read the ohms of new tanks on occasion, need to remove new tank, hit fire button and then put back on

Final thoughts

As you probably have figured out by now I love the Espion mod, while it does have some cons what it does get right is ohhhh so right. From the beautiful and well thought out color screen, easy menu system, solid construction and flat out great performance the Espion is a winner and I have no doubts you will love it too.

The ProCore X tank feels like an afterthought, I really wish they designed another tank to go with the Espion and they don't really look good together. the ProCore X feels like it should be included in a starter kit, not with the Espion.
The ProCore X performance in 2ml mode with the ProC1 coil is a legit flavor tank, not as much when you use the 4.5ml extension. Overall it is a good tank, just not great like the Espion to warrant it's inclusion into this kit.

If you are looking for a deal then one place you should check is this site: http://www.vapecrawler.com/results/espion Of course a google search might yield some great results as well.

Thank you for checking out my review and thanks for Joyetech for sending me the Espion kit for review, it was an excellent surprise. You can find more info here: http://www.joyetech.com/product/espion-with-procore-x/

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
I added the gunmetal Espion a few weeks ago but today went to use it in TC and got very choppy results. My black review sample was great in TC most of the time but this new one is just off. Wish I still had my black one but gave it to a friend when I got the gunmetal....sigh. It sure is good looking though, hopefully I can figure out why TC is out of whack, maybe it has a different firmware?
245933d970a8ddae6dd8a0a5abc9c389.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
I added the gunmetal Espion a few weeks ago but today went to use it in TC and got very choppy results. My black review sample was great in TC most of the time but this new one is just off. Wish I still had my black one but gave it to a friend when I got the gunmetal....sigh. It sure is good looking though, hopefully I can figure out why TC is out of whack, maybe it has a different firmware?
245933d970a8ddae6dd8a0a5abc9c389.jpg

I had a black sample and it was bad in TC from the start. i said as much in my review. it's very incosistent. If you use it with 1 maybe 2 builds for a day or 2, it might come off as good, but the more you use it the more you notice it's bad. Kinda like the predator but the predator was more due to the 510. This is just a chip/firmware issue.

• Informative
Reactions: mjag

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
I had a black sample and it was bad in TC from the start. i said as much in my review. it's very incosistent. If you use it with 1 maybe 2 builds for a day or 2, it might come off as good, but the more you use it the more you notice it's bad. Kinda like the predator but the predator was more due to the 510. This is just a chip/firmware issue.

I trust your opinion and now I know what your talking about, didn't have this same experience with the black sample version I had. I really wish I would have tested the gunmetal more before giving my black sample version away to a friend, I just confirmed it powered up and worked in power then put it to the side. I did note in my review how it was finicky and off with certain builds but some builds, most with AVS SS316 claptons worked great for weeks. I have been getting a noticeable delay in power mode with a simple dual coil single wire Temco SS316 build with the gunmetal, not something I got with the black sample. Really this mod is pissing me off but I heard Arctic Fox is working on a firmware for it.

Well as you have mentioned before we can only review what we receive. I just had to update my review when I bought a second and ran into problems.

Reactions: Anthony_Vapes

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
I trust your opinion and now I know what your talking about, didn't have this same experience with the black sample version I had. I really wish I would have tested the gunmetal more before giving my black sample version away to a friend, I just confirmed it powered up and worked in power then put it to the side. I did note in my review how it was finicky and off with certain builds but some builds, most with AVS SS316 claptons worked great for weeks. I have been getting a noticeable delay in power mode with a simple dual coil single wire Temco SS316 build with the gunmetal, not something I got with the black sample. Really this mod is pissing me off but I heard Arctic Fox is working on a firmware for it.

Well as you have mentioned before we can only review what we receive. I just had to update my review when I bought a second and ran into problems.
yup. pretty much. QC will always be iffy. plus at least you came back to update which is the mark of a good reviewer who cares in my book :)

Razor_alpha

May 18, 2018
Really this mod is pissing me off but I heard Arctic Fox is working on a firmware for it.

They just came out with the first release:
[P1] RedPanda 180510
Would you mind giving it a try if you still have it?

• Informative

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
They just came out with the first release:
[P1] RedPanda 180510
Would you mind giving it a try if you still have it?
Just found and downloaded it onto my espion. Been awhile since I used AF, can you tell me how to switch from Celsius to Fahrenheit?
9fabc29ab482852d289126519f6b43fa.jpg

Razor_alpha

May 18, 2018
Can you tell me how to switch from Celsius to Fahrenheit?
Sorry, new account did not expect it to remove the link also excuse me for the latency,
On the device it should be: Menu -> Settings -> Regional -> Temp
If it does not work (they rewrote it from basically scratch) there is an alternative way from NFE toolbox which should work for AF and RP too (I hope the picture will be shown):
XIux1xp.png

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
Sorry, new account did not expect it to remove the link also excuse me for the latency,
On the device it should be: Menu -> Settings -> Regional -> Temp
If it does not work (they rewrote it from basically scratch) there is an alternative way from NFE toolbox which should work for AF and RP too (I hope the picture will be shown):
XIux1xp.png

Thank you!

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
Was it able to fix the TC issues? :)
I haven't tried it a lot yet but with limited use so far it definitely is an upgrade. Seems loading the 316L TFR profile from the software is giving me the best TC thus far. Setting the TCR to 92 didn't yield great results, had to up it to about 105 but still playing around with it. The stock SS316 profile seems a little off.

There is so much customization with AF, love it but haven't had the time to really dig in. I am really enjoying what it adds so far though. Thank you for the heads up of it's release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread