Joyetech ESPION Tour 220W TC Kit with Cubis Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the ESPION Tour 220W TC Kit with Cubis Max from joyetech. The ESPION Tour 220W TC Kit with Cubis Max was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ella from joyetech.

http://www.joyetech.com/product/espion-tour-cubis-max/

https://www.joyetech.com/online/joyetech...r-kit.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Box

Contents:

1 x ESPION Tour (no cell)
1 x CUBIS Max atomizer
2 x NCFilm heater
1 x QC USB cable
2 x Manual
1 x Warranty card
2 x Warning card
Spare parts

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Espion Tour device and Cubis Max tank are packed in separate packaging and then has a sleeve over both to complete the kit. I received the White version, it's also available in Green, Red, Blue and Black, the Red, Blue and Green versions have a tie dye type finish and all versions come with a Black Cubis Max tank. The device is moulded plastic so won't be for everyone but is made well and seems as sturdy as a plastic device can be. Both sides have a panel in the colour of choice with the chassis on all versions being Black. The panels bulge out to have a central ridge on the diagonal, they also have grooving which gives the device good grip when handling. The edging is nicely curved and the device feels comfortable in the hand when firing. One side of the device see's the panel house the screen top right and further down we have the up and down buttons on a large rocker followed by the micro USB port. The other side panel is removable to fit your batteries, the spine is featureless apart from "ESPION TOUR" lightly etched. The face of the device has a large switch style fire button at the top and towards the bottom "JOYETECH" again lightly etched. The base has etched safety stamps and venting and moving to the top we have a raised 510 plate to one side, the 510 is Gold plated and spring loaded.

Cubis Max Specs and Features:

Diameter: 28.0mm
Height: 48mm
Capacity: 5ml
Heater: Joyetech NCFilmTM Heater (Kanthal) (Best at 35W-45W)
New Concept Coil-less Atomizer with 5ml Large E-liquid Capacity
Innovative Joyetech NCFilmTM Heater
Larger Heating Area for Great Flavor
Durable Long Lifespan
Easy Slide Top Refill and Bottom Airflow System
Thread: 510
Colour: Matte Black, Sky Blue, Gold, Silver, Dazzling

The NCFilm Heater

Instead of a coil as we know it the Cubis Max uses the new NCFilm heater which actually is a coil but flattened out. From the name and the picture no prizes for working out it's a thin NotchCoil that has been flattened out and not that dissimilar to the stovecoil idea but rather than circular this is rectangular and not pre-wicked so you can change the wicking time and time again making full use of the NCFilm heater longevity. Also the NCFilm is not relying on the tilt of the tank to saturate the cotton as it's placed in the base of the tank with cotton placed underneath so liquid saturates the cotton in a more traditional fashion.

Cubis Max Overview

Starting at the top of the tank we have a delrin drip tip which is a standard 510 fitting so you will be able to use your own 510's. The Cubis Max is top-fill and on top of the tank is a clear arrow which shows you where to push for the top to slide it open, it clicks into position once fully open revealing a single and quite small juice port so a bit of patience is needed when filling. The Base of the tank is where this differs from others, when you unscrew the base from the tank the 510 is left on the tank, you now pull the 510 which pulls out a circular section. The inner side of this circular section is ceramic and has a rectangular cutout which is where a rectangular piece of cotton needs to be placed to wick the NCFilm (included with the kit are several pre-cut pieces of cotton). looking inside the base of the tank you will see the NCFilm screwed into place via 2 small screws (when unscrewing the NCFilm you have to be careful not to lose the screws and again a bit of patience is needed when trying to screw the NCFilm back into position (i wish the screws were bigger)). Above and below the NCFilm are slots for the juice in the tank to travel through to wick your cotton, when placing the circular ceramic section back into the base of the tank there is a little notch on the side and corresponding cutout on the base so the section slots into the correct position. Before putting the base section back together prime the cotton, then you can place the circular section back into place, screw the bottom back on to the tank then fill.

Espion Tour Specs and Features:

Size: 48 x 33 x 92mm
Battery: Dual high rate 18650 cells (CDR ≥ 25A)
Screen: 0.96-inch OLED display
Output: 1-220W
Modes: POWER/TEMP(NI/TI/SS)/TCR
Resistance range: 0.05-1.5ohm for TEMP/TCR mode;
0.05-3.5ohm for POWER mode
Max charging current: 2.0A
Max output current: 50A
Max output voltage: 9V
Lightweight but powerful TC MOD with exquisite design
Multiple protections for safety vaping
Upgradeable firmware
2A quick charge
Thread: spring-loaded 510
Colour: White, Green, Red, Blue, Black

Fitting The Batteries

The Espion Tour uses dual 18650 batteries which are fitted by removing the side panel. There is a little interlocked notch to get your fingernail under to help remove the panel which reveals a neat and tidy battery compartment but yet again Black on Black orientation. No issues at all with the panel it snaps in place very securely and there is no play whatsoever.

The Display

The Display is 0.96" which suits the style of the device and is big enough, all information can be easily read as the display is bright and sharp. The main screen displays the mode top left and mode unit top right, underneath is your wattage or temperature (if in temp control). Then we have the resistance of your coil followed by left your volts (wattage when in temp control) and right amps (this can be changed in the subpara section of the menu to puffs or total time vaped). Finally at the bottom of the display we have two battery status indicators.

Navigating The Espion Tour

The device is the usual 5 clicks to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and once on it's 3 clicks to enter the menu. When you enter the menu 4 options are available which are mode, set, info and exit, exit is obvious and info allows you to view the status of your batteries as well as software and hardware versions. If you choose mode it gives 3 options which are VW, TC (choosing this gives you the choice of TI, NI or SS) and TCR which has 3 memory slots. If you choose set from the main menu screen it gives you the following options, coil (lock your resistance), power (set wattage for temp control), stealth (turn on or off), Subpara (choose which you want displayed on main screen), logo, preheat (set power and duration), timeout (set how long it allows you to vape for before cutting power, 5 secs, 10 secs or 15 secs) and finally as with all screens in the menu system we have exit. The up and down buttons can be locked and unlocked by pressing both at the same time, the device still fires when the buttons are locked. The menu is typical Joyetech and very easy to navigate around in my opinion it's very user friendly.

Using The Espion Tour With Cubis Max

As usual the first thing to mention is i do not vape in temp control and i do not have equipment to access data so simply review products as a personal experience. The fire button is very easy to find but does respond better pressing on the top section as it's bottom hinged but responds with a satisfying click. Ramp up is very good and preheat seems to work as it should, i tried the tour with various tanks at different wattage's and the device seems very accurate. As i have already stated i don't vape in temp control but certainly in power mode i found the Tour to be a reliable accurate device, i also like the way after 20W the device alters in 1w increments and the simple to use nature of the device despite having many features which will appeal to many. When the timeout is set and you reach the limit the device powers down so no damage will result if the device fires in your pocket by accident. The Cubis Max gives flavour short of mesh coils that are all the rage but as good as any standard drop in coil i have used and the cloud production is immense considering the wattage i was vaping at. Obviously the biggest advantage the NCFilm heater should give is the 3 months plus longevity which obviously only time will tell but if that pans out to be accurate then the Cubis Max is a leakfree, cloud beast which gives pretty good flavour, with good capacity and very cost effective to use which can be a gateway towards full rebuildables. The other things that stood out was the smoothness of the airflow and how quiet the tank was, the Cubis Max takes quiet to a new level as it is practically silent. The NCFilm heaters are 0.25ohm (my NCFilm came out at 0.29ohm) and is rated between 35w and 45w with a best at 40w, i actually found the NCFilm best at 45w, airflow half open for a restricted lung hit. The Espion Tour will accomodate a 26mm atty without overhang, supports 2A charging and is firmware upgradeable, also battery life i found to be what i would expect from dual 18650's. The one thing i did notice was the 510 plate is slightly raised so you do get a gap between tank and the device.

Final thoughts

If you are after a dual battery device whether the Espion Tour is for you is really down to whether you like moulded plastic lightweight devices or not, some do others prefer metal. As mentioned i would find more information out if you do temp control but as a power device i can't fault it's performance.

Although plastic made very well and feels durable
Nice feel in hand with good grip
Sharp, bright display
Battery door no movement
Quick ramp up
Performs well in power mode
Temp control (not tested)
Nice aesthetic look and shape
Good colour options
Fire button easily found
Auto power down when timeouts
Device easy to navigate
Cubis Max large capacity
Cubis Max innovative
NCFilm longevity
2A charging
Firmware upgradeable

Cons

Espion Tour made of plastic (subjective)
Slight gap between tank and device
Black on Black battery orientation
Fire button needs pressing towards the top as it's bottom hinged
No Curves feature (if you don't use this feature then not an issue)

I would once again like to thank Ella from Joyetech for supplying the ESPION Tour 220W TC Kit with Cubis Max for the purpose of this review.

http://www.joyetech.com/product/espion-tour-cubis-max/

https://www.joyetech.com/online/joyetech...r-kit.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread