Status
Not open for further replies.

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
joyetech exceed grip Pod system
Review by stratus.vaping

Joyetech provided me with the sample device, but I always try to give a realistic review, usually after a week or two of daily use. I tend to give a “real user” review rather than delving into the numbers, others do that much better than I can. I like to use use a well known premium e-liquid for all my reviews, it’s high VG, zero Nic and uses fruity flavourings with complex flavour notes, I know how it tastes in many devices and with varied settings, in that way I can try to judge how good a device is at releasing subtle flavours.

First impression is that this thing is tiny yet robustly built. With it’s all-day 1000mAh battery, multiple available colours, two cartridge types and mesh coils the Grip surprises with power and flexibility. I’m a DTL vaper and it was fine for me, and works well for MTL too with the disposable cart which is designed for MTL, it’s powerful, with masses of available vapour and good flavour too, likely due to the mesh coils with “mesh cotton” that according to Joyetech is perforated.

qtKImTt.jpg

I have to say that, as is often the case with Chinese products, the English language in the PR and product materials is, <cough>, interesting! Chinese is a very descriptive and rich language, they use many similes for example, these can get “lost in translation” ... in the same way technical descriptions can be confusing too, I found it difficult to tease out which cart is “standard” and where the mentioned ceramic coil (option) is .. I guess in the disposable cart that is provided and is not therefore optional!

With that said, the Grip cart system is indeed innovative; they slot in the side with an easy push fit and there have been no leaks for me, the replaceable coil cart has Dry Burn Protection available that warns with two LED flashes and shuts off power before damage can be done.

4NJMylE.jpg

The replaceable coil cart ...

Xqc1w58.jpg

The disposable cart showing contacts ...

iKpHmuf.jpg

In use.

The Grip could not be easier to use, 5 clicks of the solid and rattle free fire button turns it on, press to fire and vape away. Easy to fill too with a black rubber plug on the upper side of the carts, no leaks from there either. Joyetech provide their standard multi-protection circuitry against over charging, over-current, over-discharge and short circuit. Charging is via a mini-usb under the LED indicator on the button side ...

R2V5CHU.jpg

... that accepts 5V DC, the LED is red when charging and out when fully charged. As is standard on most of these tiny pod devices the indication of the amount of charge left is rather limited, in use the LED is white when there is more than 20% remaining and red with less than 20%. In my experience it went from red to “oh my no charge left” rather quickly, however the 1000mAh battery was enough for a full day of use, the battery delivers it’s power using an intelligent variable voltage output circuit that, in hand with the mesh coil, certainly seems to conserve the available charge. Joyetech suggest that the Grip is optimised for Nic Salt liquid ( ...nobody really knows what that means!) so the intention seems to be that a hefty dose of nic is delivered with each puff so that chain vaping is not required.

Lots of vapour, surprisingly good flavour for a pod device and it’s very light at 74g unfilled, easily shirt pocket sized. It stands up securely too, I don’t like devices that fall over as they are top heavy. No problems with leaks or gurgles either.

As there’s nothing to adjust or fiddle with the Grip is ideal for travel, social occasions, discrete use or as a backup for a larger mod. If I hadn’t been given one to review I would certainly buy it.

There seems to be two kit versions; the “Standard 4.4ml & 3.5ml” and the “2ml Kit” ... I think I received the 2ml which I assume is EU TPD compliant (Bah Humbug!) There’s two carts, the disposable with a Mesh 0.8 Ohm coil built in and 2 EX-M 0.4 Ohm coils for the other cart, the Grip battery unit, USB cable and the usual manual and cards in each kit.

BFlFuNE.jpg

Take a look at the Joyetech page for full information about the Grip in it's many colours and enjoy the prose!

EXCEED Grip - Joyetech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread