Joyetech Ultex T80, Cubis MAX & NC Film Heater review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
joyetech Ultex T80, Cubis MAX & NC Film Heater

Review by stratus.vaping

Joyetech provided me with the device, but I always give a realistic review, usually after a week of daily use. I normally use an identical well known premium e-liquid for all my reviews, it’s high VG, zero nic and uses organic fruit flavourings with complex flavour notes, I know how it tastes in many devices and with varied settings, in that way I can judge how good a device is at releasing subtle flavours.

The Ultex T80 is a tube style device with a difference. Joyetech have always been innovators, they invented the now ubiquitous 510 battery connection system and more recently the no coil Riftcore tank and a NotchCore coil system that actually works.

JY8e1Y1.jpg

On top of the Ultex sits the 5ml Cubis Max tank, therein lies the latest innovation, the 0.25 Ohm NCFilm heater (On my screen it showed as 0.36 Ohm after filling). It’s a completely flat, replaceable heater made with Kanthal. Joyetech claim a 3 month life for the NCFilm, there’s a spare provided in the kit, with spare screws and a tiny screwdriver, seals and a tank glass too.

DGNwbhi.jpg

ehgVs4g.jpg

That’s not all, the Cubis Max features a top airflow design and a well thought out wicking system utilising a very easily replaced cotton pad which is at the very base of the tank, more on how effective this is later on.

The tubular design is fashionable at the moment, Joyetech have succeeded in creating an elegant device without including any of those, to my taste, overdone embellishments of some other manufacturers, I don’t want a skull and crossbones on my vape thanks! I received the Sky Blue version, you can also obtain Matte Black, Gold, Silver or Dazzling.

v4w88Jf.jpg

The Ultex uses a single standard, replaceable 18650 cell that fits into the bottom of the device, with a screw on bottom cap. A battery was not provided with the kit I received.

uPqtsUh.jpg

This powers the Ultex up to 80W, but going by my experience you won’t want or need to go anywhere near that much power. There’s a mini usb socket for 2A fast charge too.

The very positive click fire button is near the top and is LED illuminated when firing, below that are two smaller menu navigation buttons, near the bottom is a very sharp and clear 0.49 inch monochrome OLED display.

Remarkably, the Ultex has a wide range of modes available via the menu system. I’m fundamentally a Power mode vaper, but here there are modes for Temperature Control (TC) too, with Wattage, Bypass, Temp NI, temp SS, TCR M1/M2/M3 and preheat all being available. The NC Film heater is Kanthal based, but the Ultex can be used with many types of 510 tanks if you want to use the TC modes. You can also choose to display puffs, vape time, volts, watts or temperature and battery level. There is a settings lock function accessible by simultaneous pressing of the two menu navigation buttons.

mg0MtRg.jpg

There are of course multiple protection systems built in including overcharge, over discharge, reverse polarity and short circuit.

In use.

After spending months with the Riftcore and Notchcore as my go to daily devices I wasn’t expecting that anything new would seduce me away from their simplicity and power, but after 3 weeks of using the Ultex I have to say that it’s my new daily.

Why?

It’s powerful - Joyetech recommend using between 35 and 45W, with a best of 40W. I initially set the Ultex up at 45W and was staggered by the volume of vapour, too much for me! I have now settled at 30 - 35W, with the air vents at around 75% open for a perfect DTL vape, the 80% VG liquid I use for testing works well for me at that rating. It’s also near silent in operation, only the sound of air moving when puffing, no bubbling, no sizzling, no pops - zero.

It produces great flavour - the test liquid has complex notes of coconut, blackcurrant and pineapple. My RiftCore seems to bring out the blackcurrant, the Ultex has the pineapple to the front, but the coconut is more forward with a mix of blackcurrant and pineapple on the exhale, interesting! A very satisfying vape indeed.

It’s easy to rewick - there are a few cotton pads provided as spares, but I like to use my own organic cotton pads which were easy enough to cut to size. Remove the tank from it’s 510 connector, unscrew the base section and then pull the 510 screw thread which detaches the bottom plate, the inside of this plate is ceramic and has a rectangular cutout where you place the fresh cotton pad.

F7lZ2m8.jpg

wT6lzy9.jpg

Carefully clean the film heater with a lint free cloth, I found that any gunk comes off easily.

Prime the new cotton with a few drops of liquid and push the plate back into the bottom of the tank, look for the notch that keys it into the bottom of the tank in the correct position. Screw the base back into position firmly and replace the tank onto the 510 battery unit.

HdmZslO.jpg

Refilling is easy - the now standard slide top fill system is fitted on the Ultex, a clear arrow symbol indicates where to push to open the cap for filling. I did notice that the hole is slightly smaller than most other Joyetech tanks and the dropper of my test liquid bottle was a little too large to fit, so a wipe was required to clean up. Close the fill cap and leave it to wick the liquid for 5 minutes.

It’s ready to go!

Summary

A huge volume of cloud and great flavour, easy & economical re-wicking and simple operation, substantial tank, near silent, absolutely no leaking with that top air-flow system and great looking!

The only negative that I felt needed mentioning is that slightly too small fill hole.

Several other testers have reported that the tank gets pretty hot if chain vaping, I don't chain vape so didn't experience that, but it's believable as the NC Film heater is very powerful.

Joyetech have done it again, innovation with great looks and functionality.

Reactions: gliz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread