JS-Downloader virus pop-up when clicking on ECF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvmydogs

Aug 16, 2011
Texas
Hi all-

About 30 minutes ago I got an avast warning that it had blocked a trojan, JS-Downloader, when I clicked into the ECF forum. No specific forum, just the general forum tab at the top. My last avast update was 9/12/11, 2pm CST. I went ahead and manually updated again, and nothing popped up when I came back to the forums this time. It may have been a false positive from avast, but just wanted to let you know.

Pam

Luvmydogs

Aug 16, 2011
Texas
I do not keep windows open if I am not actively using them, I never have 2 windows open if I am at any site I have to login to, my browser IS set to clear history when I close it, my avast updates automatically, lol, sometimes several times a day, I run Spybot S & D twice a week. I have had 2 (TWO, only) alerts in the last year; not infections, just notices of avast blocking something. The other time was also on a trusted site, like this one. Just wanted to make someone aware of it. My machine IS clean.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Yes - we found an exploit on the server and removed it.

Please note that these things can only affect you if you both:

1. ...use Internet Explorer. Anything is better than this, please do not use it;
2. ...AND you don't update your PC software. You have to keep updating it or you will be vulnerable.

The malware attack comes in through IE then attacks old software.

Adobe products are especially vulnerable so make sure to update Flash regularly. Don't use their PDF reader, it is too vulnerable, get PDF Exchange Viewer or another app (see Gizmo's below). Java is another thing that needs regular updating, the best way to do it now is by using the JavaRa app, it updates it and removes all traces of the old version and the installer (a standard update routine leaves the vulnerable stuff laying around).

In order to stay on top of this, an excellent solution is to use a 3rd party software update manager such as Secunia PSI. See this review on Gizmo's:
Best Free Software Update Monitor

Last edited:

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio
I use Avast and Malwarebytes and haven't had any problems. I use Firefox and Chrome. I'd only let IE run on my PC if my life depended on it.

My XP Pro PC is so old Microsoft refuses to let me have anymore security updates. I generally have 8 to 10 tabs open on my browser and 4-6 programs running at a time including a bittorrent and usenet client. I do delete my browser cache completely when I close it every 48 hours or so. Delete all the temp files when i reboot the PC once a week.

If I can be that sloppy and not get infected that tells you how rotten IE is.
It's poison, stop using it.

Edit: I use Foxit for PDFs. I run the Adobe Flash updater fairly often.

Last edited:

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I use Avast and Malwarebytes and haven't had any problems. I use Firefox and Chrome. I'd only let IE run on my PC if my life depended on it.

My XP Pro PC is so old Microsoft refuses to let me have anymore security updates. I generally have 8 to 10 tabs open on my browser and 4-6 programs running at a time including a bittorrent and usenet client. I do delete my browser cache completely when I close it every 48 hours or so. Delete all the temp files when i reboot the PC once a week.

If I can be that sloppy and not get infected that tells you how rotten IE is.
It's poison, stop using it.

Hate to say it but not even FF and Chrome means you are safe. I use both and got nailed not to long ago and everything on here is up to date.

Since then I close the FF browser several times a day and log in again. Zone Alarm runs a couple times a day and I run the Malware & Super Spyware on a regular basis.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
No one virus/malware package will catch everything. I like Microsoft Security Essentials for virus and Malwarebytes for malware and spyware. Register MWB for $24.95 and it will enable the resident utility and catch things on the fly in the background. The free version only finds malware when you run it. Registration is for life, not annually ... Recommended.

I also like to run SuperAntiSpyware from time to time. MSE and MWB run together just fine, since they look for different types of rogue programs.

Windows Defender is also a good free utility to have. You will also need TdssKiller from time to time if you are prone to encounter root kit viruses. It good to have it installed before you need it. If you get a root kit or boot sector infection, boot into safe mode to get rid of it with TdssKiller. In fact it isn't a bad idea to run your virus scan in safe mode any time you suspect trouble.

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio
Hate to say it but not even FF and Chrome means you are safe. I use both and got nailed not to long ago and everything on here is up to date.

Since then I close the FF browser several times a day and log in again. Zone Alarm runs a couple times a day and I run the Malware & Super Spyware on a regular basis.

What did you get infected with and do you have any idea where it came from?

Seriously, I leave my machine on for weeks at a time, the browser open for days. Last time I got infected with anything I was poking around with a file I knew was probably infected and I'd turned my AV off for some stupid reason. Took me about 90 minutes to clean up the mess.
Do you use a Flash Killer, Pop Up Blocker, Ad Blocker? Do you block scripts?
Are you using Zone Alarm's fire wall or the whole security suite?
Might help to block all that sort of stuff.
I only use the Windows fire wall. I had to give up on having a software fire wall, they kept screwing with my network.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread