Juice for Cold Weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quin

Jun 9, 2014
Central Oregon, USA
Hello fellow vapers!

It's fall and soon it'll be winter (where I live, we already have snow!)!

So I've come across a conundrum because of this.

I use primarily VG liquid, and I don't like the taste of large quantities of PG in my liquid when it's a fruit flavor (which is... most of my juices) because I feel it makes it taste bitter.

Sometimes I'm outside and trying to vape. Clearly... with snow on the ground, it's WAY TOO COLD for my hardware with how thick the VG liquid is after even just a minute or two of being outside (it just doesn't wick well enough to be vape-able).

So I need a way to thin out my juices to be useable when outside, but without adding a significant amount of PG, and preferably without alcohol (one: as I am a recovering alcoholic, two: as I imagine it would also make the juice take on a bitter characteristic).

Any suggestions?

Bored2Tears

Verified Member
Sep 26, 2014
Western South Dakota
Quin, what hardware and type of wick do you use? I'm in South Dakota. Curent temp here is 5 degrees with severe winds. I vape 50/50, but don't have any issues with wicking. I've never used a heavy VG juice though. I don't think I'd recommend altering the juice as much as trying to find another alternative.

Are you outside for long periods? I keep my vape in my inner coat pocket next to my body, and only pull it out long enough to take a few vapes. I was blowing snow outside yesterday in without any issues.

My cotton wicking keeps up, but the silica stuff doesn't do well for me.

Quin

Jun 9, 2014
Central Oregon, USA
I'm usually not outside for too long, max about 10-15 minutes because it's so damned cold. (I try to keep it to a couple minutes)
I'm currently using a Kanger T3S clearomizer for out and about. It's running stock coils (which I believe are primarily cotton with a silica flavor wick). I also have been known to take my Aerotank out with me just because it's my favorite tank - it's running the v2 dual coils -- which I believe are pretty much the same set-up as the single coils).

The Big Dripper didn't seem to have too much of a problem - it's got dual coils with cotton... but I've only taken it out of the house once to show off to a friend of mine... and it's a completely different set up than a tank.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
.......... I don't think I'd recommend altering the juice as much as trying to find another alternative.

Are you outside for long periods? I keep my vape in my inner coat pocket next to my body, and only pull it out long enough to take a few vapes. I was blowing snow outside yesterday in without any issues.

My cotton wicking keeps up, but the silica stuff doesn't do well for me.

I'm thinking that Bored2Tears is on the right track here - tackle the problem through equipment rather than the juice.

For what it's worth, I can tell you that wicks made from the Japanese cotton pads really do wick much better than any thing else I've tried. I'm not familiar with the tanks you're using and I don't know if you rewick your coils or not, but I'll include a link because this is the best price I've found on the pads because of the free shipping. Free shipping but they did charge me tax for some reason so my total bill was 10 something.

They are Shiseido but they have the long fibers running in one direction and they're very easy to work with.

Shiseido Facial Cotton | Nordstrom

If you're thinking about some new hardware, I'd recommend taking a look at the Veritas clone. I have the 1:1 from FT and love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread