Juicy Lucy's extreme NETS experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealJuicyLucy

May 6, 2020
This is an edited post - see end of post.

Anything worth doing is worth going overboard - this may be proof, lol

Having never even made DIY NETs, figured may as well go for the gusto and purchased tobacco seeds in a first attempt to grow tobacco for turning into NETS (Naturally Extracted tobacco)

For this experiment, I bought a strain of Virginia, a cigar type tobacco and, just for fun, a ceremonial strain sourced from the Seneca Indian Reservation in New York

The original plan called for trying out about a dozen tobacco types, but I found out that tobacco easily cross pollinates and real farmers try not to grow different strains closer than a mile apart - first lesson learned

I've thought about doing something along those lines myself and so will follow with interest your progress in this endeavor. By going so far as to even grow your own tobacco, as opposed to just buying some loose leaf or a good (or even a bad) cigar, etc., you control as much of the material used and creative process as is possible to control. I need to check out what kind of tobacco can be grown in Florida myself. Good luck and keep us posted!

How you cure it counts, as I hear. So do your research. If you're engaged in THR with e-cigs anyway, may as well cure it properly. One ref I found used microwaves! Anyway, I don't do this and I vape unflavored nic as pure as I can get the nic, so I'm by no means an expert, but I know enough and read enough to realize that there's no clear-cut answers here, but methodology matters. There's tobacco industry "history" here too. Did some research about growing my own nic, with all the deeming scares.

Anyway, it's not just the plant types. And more or less "natural-nasties" can get produced depending on what you do.

Just hopefully helpful :2c:
Good luck.

Just wondering why you would copy, word for word, a post made on the VU forum?
Even your title is the same as that thread.

View attachment 883751

So Mike, or Alex... do you normally just plagiarize from one forum to another... I mean its just an old ECF members thoughts you're passing off as your own now right?

I can buy an ounce of tobacco for two to three dollars, and have it in three days from pipesandcigars.com.
Why bother trying to grow a commercial product that is known to be difficult to maintain, draws insects, and complicated to properly harvest ?

How about this: I am the real JuicyLucy and this loser swiped my post word for word from another vape forum that ECF does not like

Admin Edit :
OP was a Spammer and banned.
Adding quotes of posts prior to this one to re-create the thread in RealJuicyLucy's name.

Last edited by a moderator:

RealJuicyLucy

May 6, 2020
I can buy an ounce of tobacco for two to three dollars, and have it in three days from pipesandcigars.com.
Why bother trying to grow a commercial product that is known to be difficult to maintain, draws insects, and complicated to properly harvest ?

First, I want higher quality, organic tobacco that is not available for $2 or $3 an ounce

Second, I love a challenge and also enjoy the finer things in life and that often means doing it yourself - especially in these increasingly uncertain times, self reliance can really make the difference

gopher_byrd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2013
Peoples Republic of California
Anything worth doing is worth going overboard - this may be proof, lol

Having never even made DIY NETs, figured may as well go for the gusto and purchased tobacco seeds in a first attempt to grow tobacco for turning into NETS (Naturally Extracted Tobacco)

For this experiment, I bought a strain of Virginia, a cigar type tobacco and, just for fun, a ceremonial strain sourced from the Seneca Indian Reservation in New York

The original plan called for trying out about a dozen tobacco types, but I found out that tobacco easily cross pollinates and real farmers try not to grow different strains closer than a mile apart - first lesson learned

Soooo uncool! I would site the original post by JuicyLucy at another place, but ECF doesn't approve of the source...

RealJuicyLucy

May 6, 2020
May as well do an update here - the stuff is really taking off and coming along as it should

The stuff in the semi-shade is doing the best

IMG_1299.jpeg

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
May as well do an update here - the stuff is really taking off and coming along as it should

The stuff in the semi-shade is doing the best

View attachment 883789
HA I got the same idea going. In my country (New Zealand) tobacco is unaffordably expensive to import or buy. I've also planted some. Don't even know the variety. Winter is approaching and i have plenty of time to research. Growing it is no problem. The treatment after is what scares me...for now. I hope this thread takes off and people with more knowledge and experience chimes in.
IMG_20200506_133908.jpg
IMG_20200506_133921.jpg

RealJuicyLucy

May 6, 2020
HA I got the same idea going. In my country (New Zealand) tobacco is unaffordably expensive to import or buy. I've also planted some. Don't even know the variety. Winter is approaching and i have plenty of time to research. Growing it is no problem. The treatment after is what scares me...for now. I hope this thread takes off and people with more knowledge and experience chimes in.
View attachment 883793 View attachment 883795

Best of luck to you - I was lucky and was able to find air cure varieties

And here is my original post on the other forum that I started at the end of February

Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 3.37.05 PM.png

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Best of luck to you - I was lucky and was able to find air cure varieties

And here is my original post on the other forum that I started at the end of February

View attachment 883797
Thanks bud, and best of luck to you to.
I'll have to shop for some more varieties. Best to know what you when starting off.

RealJuicyLucy

May 6, 2020
Thanks bud, and best of luck to you to.
I'll have to shop for some more varieties. Best to know what you when starting off.

I admire the spirit of giving it a shot with what you have on hand - if we sit around and wait for everything to be perfect, nothing would ever get done

My guess is that you might be able to find out more about what you have once it flowers?

Am totally new at this also with tons to learn

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I'm going to build my own electric vehicle, so thought I'd start with nurturing my own batteries.
    Apparently the curing is the most difficult part of the process, but very little info, any suggestions?
    I did read somewhere that, "Anything worth doing is worth going overboard", so I thought that I'd follow the mantra...
    I read urine might be an option.

• Agree
    Reactions: Fredman1

Captain Grey

Apr 29, 2020
    SW Scotland
    I admire the spirit of giving it a shot with what you have on hand - if we sit around and wait for everything to be perfect, nothing would ever get done

My guess is that you might be able to find out more about what you have once it flowers?

Am totally new at this also with tons to learn

If you let if flower all of the plant's energy and nutrients will be directed in that direction. You really want the leaves to develop, so would recommend removing flower growth ASAP.
    I'd also recommend trying to source dried tobacco leaves and then developing your flavour extraction skills, before embarking on an enterprise which will add 6 - 9 months to your flavour source.
    By the time you've mixed and steeped, you're not far away from a year, start to finish.
    Life's too short...

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    If you let if flower all of the plant's energy and nutrients will be directed in that direction. You really want the leaves to develop, so would recommend removing flower growth ASAP.
    I'd also recommend trying to source dried tobacco leaves and then developing your flavour extraction skills, before embarking on an enterprise which will add 6 - 9 months to your flavour source.
    By the time you've mixed and steeped, you're not far away from a year, start to finish.
    Life's too short...
    I can go to the store and buy every vegetable I have in my garden.
    I can go to the store and buy the same cuts of meat I will get from the beasties in the paddock.
    I made tagliatelle last night, by hand, I couldve bought it from the store.
    I build guitar amplifiers I could probably pay someone else to build.
    I can go to the store and buy the fish that I sit on the beach and catch.

Lifes too short to not explore your passions and satisfy your curiosity....

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2011
    Knoxville, TN USA
    If tobacconists find it equitable to have hundreds of varieties of tobacco flavors, cuts, etc. on-hand for me to sample and choose for a nominal fee, when given the application and required quantity vs yield, then there is no way I could justify the effort I would have to implement just to have a mediocre, at best, harvest, to which I am key-holed to consume or discard, count me out. Good luck in your endeavors, though. That's my $.02

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    It is if you die at three months of age.

But forget the dang "Little House on the Prairie" speech, I want to find out more about the cross pollination of internet identities and whatnot, etc. Like has it been resolved and will the two avatars meld peacefully or not? Baby in 9 months?

I'm sorry I will grow things when I have to or it saves me money or whatever, but I don't have an intrinsic interest in like growing stuff, unless I have to in order to survive, etc. It's just not my bag. I will hunt, I guess, when the time comes. I do think leatherworking is pleasant and I hear you can cure hides with urine too. I guess we hunters/gatherers are not so different after all.

We all have dumb stuff we want to do sometimes, even if someone else might do it better or cheaper. I had this real thing about carding, cleaning and spinning wool. It wasn't what you could call.....even. I am also a very poor basket weaver indeed. If there is like, you know, someone you hate you want to get a gift, well, I'm your gal. But the whole yanking vines out of the forest-- as long as it wasn't poison ivy which is not so great--- and curing it and everything, well it's fun? I suppose.

I hope you have fun with your tobacco growing and harvesting etc., if it's a passion or whatever. LOL and welcome to ECF.

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread