Jumped in with both feet......critique my shopping list please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtianz

ECF Veteran
After spending days browsing the internet trying to figure out which analog look alike didn't sound like a total rip-off I finally tried the search term "e cigarette forums" and found this amazing place.

My goal is to get my wife and I off of cigarettes. We've both been smoking for almost 20 years ~ 1/2 to 1 pack per day. We both work and are out of the house most of the day. My Thinking was that we would use these as a first, and hopefully easy, step into the world of vaping. My wife will want something simple to use and it'll end up being my job to keep her charged and loaded.

I got somewhat fed up with all the reading and the research so I just bought a bunch of stuff and 180ml of different liquids. So, now that I've gone and bought all of this I find myself wondering how badly I messed up or if there are some things I may have missed (like a box of atomizers for dripping - the RIVA's come with a couple)....

Please critique my shopping list.

E Liquid - UE Liquid 30ML - USA - tobaccoSmooth tobacco 24mg1
E Liquid - U
E Liquid 30ML - USA - TobaccoSweet Tobacco 24mg1
Electronic C
Joye 510Black 510 - 5 Pack1
Electronic CBoge CartomizersBoge 510 Cartomizer 2.7 Ohm (Black) - 5 Pack2
Electronic C510 / 901Flat Drip Tips - Black2
Electronic CRiva 510
Black Riva 510 - SE Edition
Electronic CSmok Tech EGOBlack EGO 900mAh - Carto Deluxe1

American Blend
(Nicotine Level: 24, Size: 15ml)
Black Cherry Dream
(Nicotine Level: 24mg, Size: 30ml)
Coffee Cream
(Nicotine Level: 24mg, Size: 30ml)
Grape Ape
Tobacco Haze
Virginia Fire Cured

Thanks for looking,
Ian

gtianz

ECF Veteran
Thank you,

Nice to see that I didn't totally screw up.

I have seen that most people suggest not buying 30ml bottles without trying them first. But, I figured we should have nice starting supply of liquids if we are going to do this.

Are the Riva 510's and the EGO basically the same thing? I was thinking we'd leave the egos around the house and try dripping or maybe try tanks with them.

I did almost buy 2 ego's but, I figured that would be overkill.

Last edited:

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Welcome to ECF and vaping! I hope you have a great experience on both! I know I have had an awesome experience on ECF myself. I haven't tried the PV's you selected (I started with and still use the GoGo's), but the juices look really familiar. Looks like you ordered them from Mom And Pop Vapor Shop (judging by Grape Ape and Tobacco Haze)? I love that site, and Pop's the greatest fun on their thread in the supplier's sub-forum! (You can click here to read: Mom and Pop Vapor Shop , but you can't post there until you get five posts here first). I love Tobacco Haze - there's an amazing "nutty" flavor on the exhale that just keeps me coming back for more!

Good luck to you both on your journey!

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
The ego and Riva are, yes, basically the same thing. The 510 number is the battery threading so anything that captures your attention, as long as it says 510, will work on both batteries.

Get yourself some extra atomizers to test flavors with and/or dripping. vaporkings.com sells them in bulk for a good price. Also, just a heads up, the 306 atomizer will also work on your batteries but if you choose to try these out, you have to buy 306 drip tips.

If the juices you bought are "made to order", they may need to steep for a week. So if you don't like them at first, put them away and try again after a week. Usually fresh made juice takes 6-10 days before the flavor really shines...some juice takes even longer like backwoodsbrew which is a good month steeping. Just a recommendation...stay with 10ml bottles until you and your wife find something that you really like. I made this mistake when I started and wound up getting rid of a bunch of 30ml bottles.

Another thing to keep in mind, your taste buds are changing and healing. What you like/hate right now, could very well turn the other way.

Good luck to you both and please yell out if you need any help.

Welcome to ECF.

Last edited:

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
So , if you buy a liquid you don't like.

Is it a bleh, I'm about to gag type taste?

Or is it more like the difference between Dreyers Grand ice cream and the Generic store bought brand?

I've had a few that I could just not stand the taste. Others don't have much flavor at all but I used them anyway.

Others are good for occasional use only. In other words, you get tired of it. Eventually, you will find the ones that you can enjoy all day long.

Look for a site that sells small 3 or 5ml samples and try a bunch of them.

Looks like you have set yourself up pretty well as far as the PV's go. You got backups for sure.

Use the atomizers that came with the kits first. For testing those juices. That way you don't ruin a cartomizer with something you find you can't stand.

After you blow the primer out of the atomizers, drip 3 or 4 drops of the juice directly into it, on top of the bridge. Then, every 7 to 10 puffs or so, drip another couple of drops.

You can clean bad juice out of the atomizers. Not so much with cartomizers.

BTW, don't wait too long to order more cartomizers.

Last edited:

gtianz

ECF Veteran
Use the atomizers that came with the kits first. For testing those juices. That way you don't ruin a cartomizer with something you find you can't stand.

After you blow the primer out of the atomizers, drip 3 or 4 drops of the juice directly into it, on top of the bridge. Then, every 7 to 10 puffs or so, drip another couple of drops.

BTW, don't wait too long to order more cartomizers.

Thank you for all the advice and pointers.

What exactly is "blow"ing out the primer of the atomizers?
Guess I now have 19 atomizers coming.

And, I have another question about all the blank carts I've ordered.
10x Boge 510 Cartomizer 2.7 Ohm
10x Blank Carts - e-liquid will be required to fill the cartridges, sold separately
5 x SMK LR 510 Cartos

Do I need to "punch" these blank cartomizers or is there a cap that I remove to fill them? I believe I have watched a video on this but I don't know for sure which type of carts these are.

And, a final question:
How long should I anticipate 19 atomizers, 25 carts, and 180 ml of juice to last 2 x 1/2 PAD smokers to last (a rough guess is totally sufficient).

Once again thank you all for your help, I'm getting excited to give this a try!
Ian

P.S. I'm already $300 in and I haven't even tried an e-cigarette yet! Kinda crazy but, I know it will pay us back 10x fold.

Last edited:

dlsw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Ohio
Wow! You are going to be amazed at your experience! You have made a great choice for you and your wife. Also make sure you have a couple of levels of nicotine. From my limited experience, (1 month), 24 is great during the day, at least at first, but may be too strong for nighttime use. Good luck. Keep posting your experiences.

gtianz

ECF Veteran
Wow! You are going to be amazed at your experience! You have made a great choice for you and your wife. Also make sure you have a couple of levels of nicotine. From my limited experience, (1 month), 24 is great during the day, at least at first, but may be too strong for nighttime use. Good luck. Keep posting your experiences.

Thank you much!

I will definitely keep the nicotine levels in mind. I was considering that when I made the initial purchases..... and I think I probably went a little overboard with all the juice I bought.

And, I'm sure I'll be posting here regularly. I can see myself getting into mods, tanks, and all those other goodies. Seems like a fun "hobby". Will just have to wait and see how my wife responds to it.

Last edited:

Oban

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2012
South Carolina
Welcome to ECF gtianz! Looks like you made a great 1st order.

I'll try and answer some of your questions.

What exactly is "blow"ing out the primer of the atomizers?

Blow through the top of the atty, airflow out of the threaded end - you should hold the threaded end loosely with a paper towel. IDK what they prime these things with, but it tastes like a dead cats azz (please don't ask how i know this).

Do I need to "punch" these blank cartomizers or is there a cap that I remove to fill them? I believe I have watched a video on this but I don't know for sure which type of carts these are.

You don't need to punch them unless you're gonna use them in a tank, and I don't see any tanks in your order list. Yes they do have a plug you can remove to fill them, and there are several videos on youtube to help you get a handle on carto filling. Here are a few to get you started -
Care and Feeding of Cartomizers Part 1 - YouTube
Care And Feeding of Cartomizers Part 2 - YouTube
A Great Way To Fill Cartomizers - YouTube

I personally like the condom method even tough some folks think you waste too much juice with it. I have found a quick and easy way to fill cartos and not at all wasteful, once you get the hang of it. One thing to remember is to always drop more liquid into your carto once the flavor starts to drop off as you don't want to burn the filler, once that filler is burned you're never gonna like the taste of that carto again.

How long should I anticipate 19 atomizers, 25 carts, and 180 ml of juice to last 2 x 1/2 PAD smokers to last (a rough guess is totally sufficient).

Oh at least a month, probably longer, much longer for the attys'.

Good luck on your journey :)

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
So , if you buy a liquid you don't like.

Is it a bleh, I'm about to gag type taste?

Or is it more like the difference between Dreyers Grand ice cream and the Generic store bought brand?

Taste is a very subjective matter. Some people have major problems finding anything they like. Some can taste non-natural flavorings a mile away and can't stand them. Some people - like me - can vape just about any flavor with no complaint.

Another reason for new vapers to not buy whopper size bottles is you have to find out if you have any allergies or sensitivities to components in the liquids. If either of you, for example, has a negative reaction to PG in liquids you just bought yourself a whopper pile of liquids you cannot vape. Hoping neither of you has a problem. But for someone like me who is allergic to PG your first order of liquids would have been a major waste.

Considering it is unlikely a new vaper will use more than 10 ml's of liquid in one week, even buying four 5 ml samples bottles in your first order is sufficient to experiment with any allergy or sensitivity questions and to check out a few flavors. Find one in those four that works for you, reorder larger sizes of that, and add more small samples onto the second order in order to check out more flavors. And repeat...

For me that minimized my newbie losses to one 5 ml bottle of 100% PG liquid I was allergic to, and a 5 pack of pre-filled PG based carts. The carts? No loss there: Rinse out, dry and reuse. In total - a $3.00 loss.

But if you find anything you don't like or can't vape you can always put it up in the ecf classifieds.

gtianz

ECF Veteran
Taste is a very subjective matter. Some people have major problems finding anything they like. Some can taste non-natural flavorings a mile away and can't stand them. Some people - like me - can vape just about any flavor with no complaint.

This is what I have kept reading..... taste being subjective. And, I do realize now that I went way overboard with all the juice I ordered.

Another reason for new vapers to not buy whopper size bottles is you have to find out if you have any allergies or sensitivities to components in the liquids. If either of you, for example, has a negative reaction to PG in liquids you just bought yourself a whopper pile of liquids you cannot vape. Hoping neither of you has a problem. But for someone like me who is allergic to PG your first order of liquids would have been a major waste.

This I hadn't thought about (I'm not allergic to anything so I never imagined any issues like this).

In the future I'll definitely head your (and the rest of the communities) advice here and buy smaller sizes until I find the juices we like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread