Just a couple of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a returning vaper. About a year ago I went through a lot of stuff in my personal life and more as a matter of convenience than anything else I ended up back on cigarettes. I had just started trying sub ohm vaping and had really liked it so I'm ordering a couple of sub ohm batteries and tanks. My questions are:

1) At 0.5 ohm coils where about should my wattage be?

2) I'm unsure of the nicotine level for sub ohm at the rate I smoke presently. Right now I'm at about 1 1/2 to 2 packs a day. Unfortunately more than I've smoked in the past due to major stress issues. I was thinking of mixing 3mg and 6mg. I don't want to overdo the nicotine level but I don't want to end up with bad withdrawals either. Any advice on that?

3) Lastly does pg/vg level matter with sub ohm? I generally used 50/50 or 40/60, are those still acceptable? I like flavor and clouds are nice but I don't need massive one's.

Thanks ahead for any advice!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm a returning vaper. About a year ago I went through a lot of stuff in my personal life and more as a matter of convenience than anything else I ended up back on cigarettes. I had just started trying sub ohm vaping and had really liked it so I'm ordering a couple of sub ohm batteries and tanks. My questions are:

1) At 0.5 ohm coils where about should my wattage be?
depends on the particular coil cartridge a lot. Suggested wattages should be printed on the side. They generally run high though. Start out at or below minimum wattage and raise it a bit at a time till it works how you like.
2) I'm unsure of the nicotine level for sub ohm at the rate I smoke presently. Right now I'm at about 1 1/2 to 2 packs a day. Unfortunately more than I've smoked in the past due to major stress issues. I was thinking of mixing 3mg and 6mg. I don't want to overdo the nicotine level but I don't want to end up with bad withdrawals either. Any advice on that?
6 seems low to me for that number of analogs. Everyone is different though. Maybe a bottle of 12mg/ml and a bottle of zero, and mix em till they feel right and extrapolate your preferred nic level from what you wind up with. 0 analogs is much more important than low nic level. First worry about ditching the stinkiest, then worry about dropping your nic level
3) Lastly does pg/vg level matter with sub ohm? I generally used 50/50 or 40/60, are those still acceptable? I like flavor and clouds are nice but I don't need massive one's.
Yep. Those levels are still fine.
Thanks ahead for any advice!
Oh! And welcome back! :)

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Jae Jae, Propylene Glycol gives you more of a throat hit, carries flavours better and is thinner than Vegetable Glycerine. Vegetable Glycerine gives a smoother vape and is thicker, so can cause some issues with wicking with prebuilt coils.

So really adjust your base for the right throat hit for yourself, if the mix is a little bit thicker than desired though you can add Distilled Water to thin it. But remember that a little goes a long way.

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
I agree with the above. If the coil is rated at 40w - 60w, start at 40 and go up or down depending on your preference. 6 mg of juice might be light but running a .5 ohm coil anything higher might hit a bit too hard. I've used 12 mg juice in a .2 ohm tank before because...well, just because...and it hit pretty hard. But I liked it! YMMV

If 6 mg isn't going it for you then go up. It won't kill you. Probably not, anyway.

Reactions: greek mule

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
@bombastinator is correct in everything except, perhaps, the PG/VG ratio. Sometimes, it's written out with VG first... If you see 70/30, that's usually 70VG and 30PG. Most Subohm tanks are better IMHO at 70/30. Thinner liquids tend to leak through Subohm coil heads when they have huge wicking ports. Now, if you're referring to something like the Kanger Subtank series or the Aspire Atlantis Series (of which there are very nearly 100 compatible tanks and dozens of compatible coils), higher PG levels are fine as the wick ports on those older suntan is are smaller. If, on the other hand, you're referring to something a little more current (most of the Smok line, Falcon, etc), higher VG will minimize leaking. Most will still leak, but incidence will be reduced.

I say most as there are a couple top airflow tanks that are pretty good at preventing leakage... The Advken Owl and the TFV8 X Baby Beast Brother (or whatever mouthful it's called).

As to nic levels... Think of nicotine as alcohol and the coil resistance as a straw where 24mg nic might be whisky and 3mg might be beer. You wouldn't want to try to "cop a buzz" with a coffee stirrer straw and beer (3mg on a 1.8Ω coil). Conversely, beer bonding bourbon in not good either (24mg on a 0.15Ω coil).

Not knowing what brand you smoked, I've read reports that the average cigarette delivers 1mg nic per cigarette at a relative 100% effectiveness. Vaping is about 80% effective in its delivery. So, if you wanted to get the equivalent of 30-40mg (1.5 to 2 packs at 1mg per cigarette), you would need around 4ml of 12mg liquid (48mg at 80% is around 38mg) or 16ml of 3mg liquid.

I would not exceed 12mg in a Subtank regardless.

Probably TL;DR, but there you have my $0.02.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I agree with the above. If the coil is rated at 40w - 60w, start at 40 and go up or down depending on your preference. 6 mg of juice might be light but running a .5 ohm coil anything higher might hit a bit too hard. I've used 12 mg juice in a .2 ohm tank before because...well, just because...and it hit pretty hard. But I liked it! YMMV

If 6 mg isn't going it for you then go up. It won't kill you. Probably not, anyway.
*is currently squonking 12mg/ml out of a pulse @.47ohm & 30w on replay* I smoked 3 packs of lucky strike straights in a day though way back when.
It’s all about what works for you right now. Everyone is different and later is later.

Last edited:
When I vaped before I had started with 12 and 18mg juices. But that was with a 1.6 ohm coil I believe. I just wasn't sure about sub ohm coils because I knew they tended to hit harder. The 18mg didn't last too long and I eventually tapered off at about 12. Unfortunately I couldn't remember what mg I had tried with the sub ohm tank.

I went ahead and ordered both 6mg and 12mg in a few of the flavors I remember really liking. Maybe start at the 12mg and dilute it if it hits too hard.

As it turns out when I went to order extra coils with the tanks they had recommended wattages to be used.

Thanks much for all your advice, it's really helping!

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
1 Start at 15 watts and turn it up until you find your sweet spot!
2 Anywhere from 3mg to 9mg. Try the 6mg, if it works, great! If too much, go down to 3. If not enough, go up to 9.
3 That may depend on your tank. I use Top Air Flow RTA's. they can handle just about every range of PG/VG mix. I tend to stay mostly with Max VG, only the flavors and Nic have PG in my house. When I do want a thinner mix, I do 20/80 PG/VG.

It's all up to you and your style of vaping.

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
Not knowing what brand you smoked, I've read reports that the average cigarette delivers 1mg nic per cigarette at a relative 100% effectiveness. Vaping is about 80% effective in its delivery. So, if you wanted to get the equivalent of 30-40mg (1.5 to 2 packs at 1mg per cigarette), you would need around 4ml of 12mg liquid (48mg at 80% is around 38mg) or 16ml of 3mg liquid.

The current estimate (at Q1 2013),(https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/tobacco-cigarette-vs-e-cigarette-nicotine-equivalency.26) is about 50% of the nicotine in the liquid is transferred into the vapor (because a variety of tests have been made but do not agree, although there is a preponderance of results around 50% to 55%). The nicotine in the smoke can be as little as one-twentieth (5%) of the amount in the cigarette.(one cigarette contains on average 18mg of Nicotine). Cigarette (mainstream) smoke contains about 1mg per cigarette.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
For e-liquid, the typical nicotine recommendations are generally determined by how much you smoked, and are as follows:

1/2 pack per day or less = 6 mg nicotine
1 ppd = 12 mg
1 1/2 ppd = 18 mg
2 ppd = 24 mg​

Should you choose to use a sub-ohm juice attachment (coil less than 1.0 ohm); drop the above recommendations by half.

The following video shows how to properly "prime" and "break in" the replacement drop in coils for the original Crown tanks. The methodology shown applies for all tanks.

All factory made coils should have the ohm and recommended wattage range on the coil itself. Most vendors have that recommended wattage range on the product description page and it should also be on the product packaging or owners manual.
  • 1.2 ohm Single Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Coil - 10 to 30W
  • 0.5 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 30 to 80W
  • 0.25 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 80 to 120W
  • 0.15 ohm Dual Ni200 Nickel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 400 to 600 Degrees Fahrenheit (temp control only)

Uwell-Crown-Edit-7.png

For example, I use the above 0.5 ohm coils. The recommended wattage range is 30 - 60 watts. I tend to vape them at 30 watts as that helps extend the life of the coil, and is also my preferred wattage setting in general.

Last edited:

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Thought it might help you to know my vaping habit :) I sub-ohm at 18mg/ml and it's fine. The coil resistance I commonly use is .15 in a tank or .25-.30 in an RDA. The most important thing for you is to get your nicotine levels correct so d'on't be frightened to go higher if you need to.

I have never been actually nic sick but have stopped vaping for a few hours because I realised my nic levels were just a bit too high...the point here is your body will tell you way before you get ill that it's necessary to stop inhaling.

For what its worth I did exactly the same as you. I gave up in 2014 and was cigarette free until christmas '16 and then went back to smoking for just over a year. I was smoking cigars and about 35 per day and inhaling. When I decided to give up again it was easy really I just got my RDA out again and one of the new sub-ohm tanks, used 18mg liquid and found the first few weeks to be really ok actually. I was definitely getting my nicotine and the vapour was really satisfying. Good luck to you :)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Hi! Good to have you on the ECF @Jae Jae
Speaking for myself, I use a few 0.5ohm coils - some are rated up to 80w or even 100w. None of them will last more than 2 minutes at 100w.
I try to stay in 30w-40w band... that way they last a longer time.
As for Nicotine level, you'll be hard pushed to overdo it. 3mg or 6mg is not enough...
I would suggest a minimum of 12mg even at the 30w-40w I am recommending.
I can't say I scared of using too high a strength these days... I just vaped 18mg out the back of the house in a Uwell crown tank at 34w. OK, so it's a bit strong, but a solid nic' dose and some throat hit is kind of where you want to be to get off those smokes.
Good luck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread