Just a got a darwin, several questions and some observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketfish

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Vancouver
Just recieved it today from happyvaper. As suggested by happyvaper and some posts I've read, I bought a drip cone, and some adaptors(510-801 and 801-510).

Vape quality is fantastic! I love this thing, going to have to lower my nic levels in the juices though, I made myself sick once today already. The system is intuitive, simple and pleasant to use. I love vaping with it so far.

Build quality is a really mixed bag, and probably the only serious negative on it. Generally solid if ugly. And this thing is ugly, no doubt about it. Compared to my precise, it looks like it was made in a basement shop. A deep gouge(covered by the anodizing) near the wheel, looks almost like cheap casting due to this. Two chips exposing metal beneath in the anodizing elsewhere. The button is sloppy, it rattles around and makes noise because it's so loose, at least 1mm of side to side play, it appears to be a piece of stamped and folded brass, the kind of button you'd see on a kids toy from several decades ago, one corner is a bit short, as though cut off a bit, and you can see into the case and under the button quite easily.
Visible solder or something around where the silver threaded portion for the atomizer is attached to the brass rotating part.
The brass rotating part also rotates too easily for my taste, not that it isn't effective, but it just feels cheap and a bit sloppy, a stiffer rotation would have made this feel better in use, and I'm worried that it will loosen up further to the point that it won't stay in position soon.
The exposed usb port is annoying, with 2mm of gap around the sides, and visible internals. A small rubber plug, or a sliding cover as most cell phones use these days would have been nice.
I would happily have paid another 40$ to have a solid, non rattling button, and a wider wheel that didn't look like the volume controls on my ancient walkman.
I also note that if the brass piece was extended 3mm further, almost any attachment would work, and not prevent it from closing.
The good side of the design: The actual aluminium housing design is great, I love the heavy milled textures, brass screws, engraved logo, and the CNC milling patterns left in actually work with the aesthetic of it. Overall the design and looks are good, I really like it, the sloppyness doesn't make it undesirable to me, but it does certainly reduce the feeling of quality and durability that the case gives it.

Questions I have about it:

I was told it was an unsealed connection, yet to me it looks like there is a small cup similar to the ego. It looks different than the videos posted by Drew(Nhaler) His does not have the silver cup mine does.
I bought a drip cone as recommended by Jack of Happyvaper, but can't figure out how to use it, no matter how I attach it, the O-ring is above the air holes of the atomizer so juice can come out the bottom, the cone bottoms out against the case in any position before sliding on far enough. In addition using it prevents me from being able to close the darwin, without holding any juice in. I tried using the two adaptors end to end to give me some space, but it still won't close and the adaptors allow juice to flow through them anyways.

Am I using it wrong?
The way I see it used here(can't link images)
Canadian electronic cigarette Drip Shield Cone

I can clearly see the holes in the atomizer, which leads me to assume juice will run out the bottom, I also notice that the Darwin in this pictures doesn't have the silver threaded piece that mine does.

My button is also different, it is virtually flush with the surface of the casing, while the one I saw in the video had a button that had a large space underneath and appeared totally different, why is this?

Do I need to use a drip shield at all, it doesn't appear to me that it would prevent juice from going anywhere at all, except perhaps if I miss the drip tip and dribble down the sides, the silver cup is sealed at the bottom.
If the silver cup wasn't there, I can't see how a drip shield would stop juice going into the case, as it doesn't seal the bottom holes, and with it there it still doesn't seal the air holes for the atomizer, so I can't see it keeping juice off the outside of the darwin, or from entering where the wheel is.

I got a 510 tip to 306 atty adaptor as well(not made by the same company), it's a nice addition, and it lets me leave my vapemate on though it rubs slightly when closed. It's even uglier, the outside isn't even turned evenly with the inside, one side is twice as thick, and the other side is missing the beveling and grooves, I'm impressed by it, as it seems to me that it would be harder to mount it so far off center and still get a tool to cut on it at all without chattering like crazy. The contrast in finish quality between my Super-T drip tip and vapemate and the darwin itself and this adaptor is pretty funny when it's all put together. The adaptor is loose enough to fall off frequently on both cisco and joye 306s, I'm thinking of putting some teflon tape around each atomizer to see if that helps.

I would still recommend this setup to anyone wanting to get the nicest vape going, but just be prepared to deal with some pretty roughly made components, and a bit of puzzlement. I would skip the drip cone, and the two adaptors that extend it, because I'm not finding any additional functionality, and they cost another 20$.

Other observation: I read some comments that people were having troubles with atomizers getting damaged if left on while charging, and also in knowing when it was finished so I was watching it while it charged. I noticed that it actually DOES indicate when it's finished charging. While charging, every time the screen flashes(it does this every 4 seconds, charging or not) the voltage readings jump up from 0. When it is done charging, they stay steadily on 0. I could see this being the cause with a dry atty on it.

Rocketfish

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Vancouver
Most of my observations wouldn't be changed by a new one IMO. I don't care about the two nicks, but I felt they should be noted. It's the feel and apparent quality of the hardware such as button, wheel etc that are offputting, not enough to make me re-consider the purchase, just enough to surprise me considering the good quality of the overall product. I don't want to let go of it for that long anyways, not sure how I'd vape on anything else now!

4mehealth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2011
canada
In regards to the drip shield, it's supposed to sit below the atty a little.

I think that's why Jack recommended your 510-808 and 808-510 adapter. Basically this extends your atty out a bit and then you put the drip shield on. The top of it should roughly line up with the top of the atty (510, haven't used a 306).

rrayda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
the icy northlands
Most of my observations wouldn't be changed by a new one IMO. I don't care about the two nicks, but I felt they should be noted. It's the feel and apparent quality of the hardware such as button, wheel etc that are offputting, not enough to make me re-consider the purchase, just enough to surprise me considering the good quality of the overall product. I don't want to let go of it for that long anyways, not sure how I'd vape on anything else now!

This exactly sums up how I feel about my Darwin. Fit and finish are not consistent with a product of this performance caliber. It's unfortunate, because there is nothing else like it in the vaping world; it is bar none the best-performing device available at this time. I have a love/hate relationship with my Darwin, love to vape it, hate to look at it...I'd still recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Rob0506

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2011
Renton, WA
There have been some updates along the way, one was to add a 510-510 sealed adapter to help keep juice out of the unit (it's the silver fitting connected to the brass).

The criticisms of the quality control are fair, the machine work is a little rough around the edges, but like you say, it kind of works with this device. Sort of has a post-modern industrial look. I could picture Mad Max using one of these.
I always charge with the atty attached and never had an issue, but the device is always off when I charge. This is the first I've heard of a problem with blown attys.

To me, this is the best device around. The ergonomics are fabulous and it fits well in the pocket. Just be prepared for some variance in the appearance.

Rocketfish

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Vancouver
But what's the point when the atomizer adaptors drip out the bottom? Seems pointless then. I tried it and I ended up with more juice on the outside then before since it had more holes to come out.

Re: the Mad Max look. I thought it looked like something out of Battlestar Galactica and loved it.

Unfortunately non-vapers don't.

I get one of two reactions, curiosity about the breathalyzer/medical device I've stuck in my face, and outrage that I'm smoking pot in whatever situation I'm in. I don't even try to vape inside with it(I usually don't vape anything inside) but even in smokers areas, or outside on a windy day I get the outrage. It's irritating.

drac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2011
Winnipeg
I got lucky, the Darwin I got was in good shape. I always leave the atty or carto on when charging and so far no problems. I never noticed volts jumping when charging so tonight I spent a few minutes watching it. No change at all when flashing. I hope that is not a sign of trouble with yours. So far it has been fantastic. Good luck
Drac

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Here's the funny part, it's never done it since the day I posted it I was wondering if that might have been the cause of trouble for other users. It's never given me any trouble, however just to be safe I close the arm when it's charging unless I'm vaping off it.

The maker of the Darwin told me personally that it is fine to charge the Darwin with the arm up (open) not closed. In fact, he stated it is better to do it this way, at least on the earlier models.

Bmbvegabmb

Sep 26, 2011
Mississauga ont
I just thought Id add what I know about a Darwin! Jack and are good pals, The button on the one Drew uses in the video is the first design and they have been changed up to the flatter style like you have I picked mine up from happyvaper about a month ago! First of all the brass swing arm is sealed under the 510 to 510 adaptor the first ones did not have that adaptor on them and people were saying that they were scared that they would strip the brass so I think that's why the 510 to 510 ext was lock tighted on the brass! As far as looks all I can say is you like it or you don't! The flashing of the screen when its on is just the Darwin doing a self test! when people are talking about burning out addies I think its just because the Darwin can put out a lot of amps and volts! If you take the addy or cart off the Darwin push the button look at the volts it has full charge it will have 13 or 12.9 volts! So it can put out a lot when needed Iv seen mine put out over 3amps so that's a lot! As far as charging it arm open or closed it will not matter it works as a pass-though as well! As far as a drip shield your right with the short 510 to 510 it will leak but I use a long 510 to 510 on it then my 510/910 or 510/306 then the o ring will come down to cover the holes and work as it should the arm will still not close fully but it closes to the point to turn it off! I know it is a completely device than any thing out there but as you said it does hit like a champ so Ill put up with the little things! Plus remember if you have any issues you do not like or understand you can call or email Jack and he will help you out! Or you can send me a message! I love my Darwin and I know lots of people with then and love them! So hope has helped you out a bit! Please let me know if there is any thing else I can help you out with! Iv used Jacks off and on since the spring and when you get a bit of time with it I think you will learn to love it also!

Rocketfish

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Vancouver
Thanks, all good info. Honestly in terms of functionality there is little I would like to see improved(the looseness of the arm, the build quality notwithstanding). The only thing I would still like to see at this point is the offset of the arm increased, though that would increase the overall size unfortunately, and I'm sure the spacing that was chosen was based on a series of trade offs.
I vape without a drip shield and only drip, and it works fine so far! The only functionality change I'd like to see is an ability to disable the screen backlight, I still take my precise when I need to stealth vape and keep it dark(in a dark-room or at a show where vaping isn't allowed)
In terms of looks, I love the way it looks, unfortunately everyone else doesn`t agree(non-vapers). I get lots of dirty looks and occasionally hassled which I never get with the pen style or precise style ones. Likely because I live in Vancouver, everyone thinks I`m smoking weed out of it.
The darwin freaking rocks! Best vaping purchase I`ve made.

Bmbvegabmb

Sep 26, 2011
Mississauga ont
You are so very true it is like nothing iv ever vaped off of! Any onerous lazy addy's and carto's it has brought them back to life! I have a XL B type dual coil carto ( the new ones ) and after 4 days it stopped working on my 1000mha EGO'
And my P8 18650 Precis, well I never tossed it and never checked the res but after I got the Darwin I looked at it and went let's try it and man oh man it vales like mad on it! But nothing else! I have seen the inside of a Darwin and I'm telling you as a mechanic don't worry about the sight lossness it will not come apart un less the brake the alum housing! As far as the light I agree it would be nice to turn it off! But this way u can keep ur Precise going! Lol to be honest when I'm just running around I do take my Precise, I love the Darwin to much and would hate to lose it, or brake it! But the Darwin has so much more to offer than any thing else out there! And it would be nice to have a doff style of arm so you can put tanks and XL addy's on it! I did a little cutting and grinding last night on one of Jacks drip shields and got it to work on my Darwin on a 901 with just the short 510 /510 and the 510/901 on it and I now can close the arm all the way and no marking of the Darwin! I'll try and get a pic up on here of it on the Darwin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread