Status
Not open for further replies.

LilyBear

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Western NY
I just want to share this because maybe there are others like me out there who have been there....
One of my really good friends I work with quit smoking 2 years ago and a week did not go by after that that someone at work would say "Isn't it about time for you to quit now". Yes I was about the last smoker left on the crew (not the last she still smokes)but this made me want a cig break! Easter of this year it was my turn to drive the drive out to the Rez and get smokes (we took turns among those of us friends that still made the trip) and I found maybe the worst ecig ever! For 12.99 USD I got one smoke that was disp. and three carts that fit into it. It was awful tasting the batt lasted almost through the first cart and I could see no way to replace the batteries in it -EPIC FAIL! Not all was lost though I had remembered seeing ecigs in the mall let me go there and see what I can score (wow was that the next painful step). To make a really long story short I lost one of those overpriced batts and atty so I googled to find myself something else and wound up here and today I am smarter and spending a lot less to be happy.

Part two of the story happened on September 15th my four month anniv. since my last analog and I am feeling ever so proud of myself. It comes up in conversation at work and the friend that quit two years ago says "You are not a non smoker as long as you are puffing on that thing you have". I reply "OK so how about those that choose the patch or gum are they smokers" she tells me I am still an addict and as long as I am not nic free I am a smoker. OK so no biggie but then she says "You know nic causes heart attacks and you are no healthier today than you were before"... when I try to tell her its the tar the additives etc. she does not want to talk to me at all about it anymore. I do NOT mind that she thinks this I consider myself healthier and have done my research but it sorta bugs me that almost daily people in my life ask if I am done with that "thing" yet. I need a shirt that says "I vape AND NOT ONLY THAT I LOVE IT" or something so people stop asking. She says I have an addictive personality disorder... well in some ways I think we all do we just express it differently, Evil Kenivel (I am sure I spelled that wrong) tried to kill himself as a hobby and Navy SEALS jump out of perfectly good flying things.

I just wanted to share that I think I am a non smoker and I am sorry for those in my life that were able to quit cold turkey and have no sympathy for those that couldnt (including that husband of mine that did it cold turkey!)
Alright done with my semi rant though it was supposed to just be a share! Off to vape something comforting ROFL

calico21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2011
next to a corn field,IL
"If I had a million dollars.... I'd tell her to shut the hell up" , It may not be perfect, but it is better. Not everyone that smokes dies of lung cancer, life is a lottery some win, some don't. Many have given up vaping after they have lowered their nic, some are able to stop it cold turkey as well, as reported some don't ever want to, it's all okay. If she doesn't get it, just tell her next time I'd rather not get into it with you. That's the thing about some of the other replacements(drugs) for cessation. You have a limited time to get it right or the prescription runs out, or the patches are too strong or to weak, or they cause other problems (nightmares, homicidal or suicidal thoughts,heart attacks) the list goes on and on. If this is having no adverse effects on you at this time, as I'm always putting in my welcomes; live well,vape well!

LilyBear

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Western NY
I am in total agreement with all of this and I may never stop vaping but I have taken it from 24 to 12 slowly dropping the nic when i felt like trying and always when I have some of the old left to fall back on if I need it. I am happy and may just make the shirt myself at one of those places that does custom work LOL
Thank you for the input I just wish people really would "live and let live" but alas it may nevah happen!

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I just want to share this because maybe there are others like me out there who have been there....
One of my really good friends I work with quit smoking 2 years ago and a week did not go by after that that someone at work would say "Isn't it about time for you to quit now". Yes I was about the last smoker left on the crew (not the last she still smokes)but this made me want a cig break! Easter of this year it was my turn to drive the drive out to the Rez and get smokes (we took turns among those of us friends that still made the trip) and I found maybe the worst ecig ever! For 12.99 USD I got one smoke that was disp. and three carts that fit into it. It was awful tasting the batt lasted almost through the first cart and I could see no way to replace the batteries in it -EPIC FAIL! Not all was lost though I had remembered seeing ecigs in the mall let me go there and see what I can score (wow was that the next painful step). To make a really long story short I lost one of those overpriced batts and atty so I googled to find myself something else and wound up here and today I am smarter and spending a lot less to be happy.

Part two of the story happened on September 15th my four month anniv. since my last analog and I am feeling ever so proud of myself. It comes up in conversation at work and the friend that quit two years ago says "You are not a non smoker as long as you are puffing on that thing you have". I reply "OK so how about those that choose the patch or gum are they smokers" she tells me I am still an addict and as long as I am not nic free I am a smoker. OK so no biggie but then she says "You know nic causes heart attacks and you are no healthier today than you were before"... when I try to tell her its the tar the additives etc. she does not want to talk to me at all about it anymore. I do NOT mind that she thinks this I consider myself healthier and have done my research but it sorta bugs me that almost daily people in my life ask if I am done with that "thing" yet. I need a shirt that says "I VAPE AND NOT ONLY THAT I LOVE IT" or something so people stop asking. She says I have an addictive personality disorder... well in some ways I think we all do we just express it differently, Evil Kenivel (I am sure I spelled that wrong) tried to kill himself as a hobby and Navy SEALS jump out of perfectly good flying things.

I just wanted to share that I think I am a non smoker and I am sorry for those in my life that were able to quit cold turkey and have no sympathy for those that couldnt (including that husband of mine that did it cold turkey!)
Alright done with my semi rant though it was supposed to just be a share! Off to vape something comforting ROFL

In the AA world, they call people like your friend a dry drunk.

"The term is used by Alcoholics Anonymous in relation to feelings of anger, depression and resentment. [3] Other destructive behaviors in the condition could be, Grandiosity (extreme self-centeredness), Impulsivity (lack of impulse control), Being judgmental and Complacency."

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
Make sure to check and see if she is eating a totally organic diet. You may choose to mention that many consider things like carbohydrates, sugar, coffee, tea, fatty foods, meats, processed foods and other day to day items as "not good for you."

Personally, I have no problem with the fact that I have an addictive personality - it is the part of me that is passionate, adventurous and obsessive - it makes me, "me." I would mention to your friend that you feel that she is a bit "vanilla" - maybe a good drink or hit on a mod would loosen her up a bit. Apparently, she has little going on if she is so interested in your innocuous hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread