Just a little thought for storing nic that comes in plastic bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_maiden_fair

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
SD , USA
I have read the recommendations for long term storage of nicotine base. I do agree with storing in colored glass bottles. I was looking for a simple, inexpensive way to do this. I have a small suggestion, I decided to get baby food. I got flavors pleasing for my dog, since I have no babies. I will empty them, and store my nicotine in them, labeled, and in a paper bag in the refrigerator, in order to protect it from the light. A simple and inexpensive way to store usable quantities of nicotine (I opted for the 4 oz jars, to keep too much air from entering into the equation).

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
I have read the recommendations for long term storage of nicotine base. I do agree with storing in colored glass bottles. I was looking for a simple, inexpensive way to do this. I have a small suggestion, I decided to get baby food. I got flavors pleasing for my dog, since I have no babies. I will empty them, and store my nicotine in them, labeled, and in a paper bag in the refrigerator, in order to protect it from the light. A simple and inexpensive way to store usable quantities of nicotine (I opted for the 4 oz jars, to keep too much air from entering into the equation).

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Thanks!

I buy a lot of baby food because I have a dog in poor health and it's the only way I can get some pills in him (crushed & mixed in baby food), and I do use them for mixing small amounts of juice, but those lids never fit tightly once you open them. Air is more of an issue I would think than light...I wouldn't trust them.

I personally use canning jars. They're cheap, widely available in a large range of sizes and very secure.

I don't like high shipping either ;)

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
Thank you, Boston! I will look into it! I use the food for the exact same reason, used to use peanut butter to give the pills, but the baby food works well for something different!

Ya...that (peanut butter) worked for awhile till he got wise to it. Now he'll work it around in his mouth until everything is gone but the pill...then spit it out :facepalm:

I have to crush the pills and mix with baby food to get him to eat it. Anything that can't be crushed has to be carefully sandwiched between layers of braunschweiger with a chaser right behind it so his focus is on the second piece rather than feeling around the first lol!

The things we go through huh? ;)

the_maiden_fair

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
SD , USA
My dog has learned, she doesn't get any more until she takes her pills! She is a smart cookie, and actually knows they help her (she will whine if we forget to give them to her). Yogurt works good too, she loves that! Sounds like your pooches are so smart, they just won't accept anything foreign!

Where do you purchase your canning jars in tiny sizes?

Last edited:

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
My dog has learned, she doesn't get any more until she takes her pills! She is a smart cookie, and actually knows they help her (she will whine if we forget to give them to her). Yogurt works good too, she loves that! Where do you purchase your canning jars in tiny sizes?

The grocery store...my local Kroger has a small canning section. Walmart would have them as well..

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I store my nic in my used and emptied Everclear bottles, then brown-bag them, but I buy my 100mg nicotine in the 1000ml sizes. If you buy smaller amounts and like smaller bottles for storage, you could always visit a home canning aisle in your store as Boston has suggested. They have jelly jars there which may be more to your liking in size.

@Boston
That is too funny about your smart dog.:laugh: My little yorkie dame does the same thing. She takes one-fourth of an OTC benadryl in her food. I have to hand-feed it to her embedded in a chunk of cheese first as I set her chow bowl down in the morning. My little yorkie male picks all the cooked carrot slices out of his bowl as he eats and deposits them neatly in a pile beside his chow bowl while he eats. He can't pick his zucchini out b/c I shred that up.:laugh:

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
sandwiched between layers of braunschweiger with a chaser right behind it

<pant><pant><rolling over><sitting up, beggin'> No, I don't have a dog anymore (RIP Ginger)... that's ME!
BigGrin-1.gif

Oh, oh, and a beer as a chaser?
snoopy.gif

gumchewer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
south Jersey-in the woods
BTW, my father was a chemist that collected water samples for testing. He would use half pint whiskey bottles (he had a deal with the manufacturer somehow) and would dip them in a gallon of black paint. it gave a nice, even light proof coating. they stack nice against each other and can be easily labeled

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
I have a 19-year old cat with a thyroid condition, that needs pills twice a day. When she was in poor shape, it was easy enough to poke them down her throat. She is now as active as a kitten, and won't stand for that. Seriously, she hides under the bed every morning so she can pounce on my feet as I get up. It's cold in Midwest USA now, I often sleep in socks. She will draw blood if I am not.

They are highly soluable, I crunch one and drop it in an ounce or so or water, put in one spoonful of this AD food, swirl it up, and she laps it down.

That would be pricey for food, but two spoons a day is cheap. Her 'kitty-clock" is in complete tune, she expects it at the desired time, and is quite vocal about it if I am late.

Back on topic, to minimize spills, this seems like a good choice for nic storage.

Last edited:

gumchewer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
south Jersey-in the woods
Gumchewer, it's been well-discussed on ECF. General consensus is a year, easily. It won't freeze at home fridge temps, but will slush up in the freezer. Light/oxygen/heat are the enemies.

I caught a couple of those threads after I asked.
Hard to read evry thread on here.
I'll let ya get back to your dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread