Just a question I want to put out there, non inflammatory I hope...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
I just wonder why I have been nicotine sick (not literally sick but felt wow what the hell) from vaping and also I get the headaches from too much nic even when I lowered my nic levels but never at any point in 35 years of smoking did I get nic sick or headaches from smoking even when I chain smoked in times of great stress.

Are we taking more nicotine in through vaping than we realise? I'm not saying nicotine is bad or vaping is Satan I'm just asking a simple question. I don't remember ever deciding for example to change my brand of cigs because the one I was on gave me too much nicotine or gave me headaches.

Why does this only happen with vaping? Why do people lower their nic levels constantly when they never did with cigs? Why do people say they came down from 24mg when they first started vaping because it was 'too much' even though they smoked two packs a day? Why do people say certain nic levels when vaping make them 'jittery' and nervous when nobody I have ever known who smoked has ever said that?

I'm just asking a question here. Why are people having massive problems with nicotine intake when vaping that they need to control and manage that they NEVER had while smoking?

Lolli

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
I was pretty out of it the first month when I started vaping. I don't think it was the vaping as much as the withdrawl from smoking. I was dizzy, foggy, irritable and just downright yucky feeling for a while. I wasn't drinking enough water though, and could have been part of it.

Maybe you are still withdrawling from smokes more than adjusting to vaping? Also, I think we are getting a more pure form of nicotine and it is a good thing we don't need as much after a while. I think it's a bonus we decrease nic levels after some time

AegisPrime

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
The Fortesque Mansion, UK
I tend to OD on the nic whenever I get something new to play with - I'll puff away on it whilst I'm tinkering and then suddenly think 'whoa' and put it down for a while. Also, moving from one less efficient device or topper to a more efficient one can take you by surprise.

On the Green Smokes and eRoll I was happily vaping 18mg, but switching to the MVP/PT I've realised that given the amount I vape (and the huge difference in the quality of the vape) that I'm probably better switching down to 12mg.

I've also noticed that the single-coil PT hits a lot harder nic-wise than my dual-coil iClear 16b that came with my MVP - different toppers just deliver the nic in radically different ways I guess.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
You need to drink, drink, drink. More than you want to. Some members says drink water, but I say drink your favorite beverage. If you have dropped your nic content then you are not over nic-ing. Sounds like dehydration which also has symptoms of headaches.

Try it and let us know how it goes.

:)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Also the nic delivery is very different than with smoking. With cigarettes, it goes straight into your lungs and replaces the oxygen in your brain cells almost immediately(hence the head rush). With ecigs, the nic is absorbed thru the mouth, nose and throat so we don't think we are getting as much as with cigs, which is not true. It just takes longer to reach the same levels in our bodies.

I have over nic-ed on both cigarettes and ecigs and once you have there is no mistake about it. Your heart races and you are bouncing off the walls. Never did get headaches either. Just a horrid sic feeling like I wanted to vomit. so I would eat something and lay off the smokes or ecigs for a while. Usually felt better after eating something.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I just wonder why I have been nicotine sick (not literally sick but felt wow what the hell) from vaping and also I get the headaches from too much nic even when I lowered my nic levels but never at any point in 35 years of smoking did I get nic sick or headaches from smoking even when I chain smoked in times of great stress.

Are we taking more nicotine in through vaping than we realise? I'm not saying nicotine is bad or vaping is Satan I'm just asking a simple question. I don't remember ever deciding for example to change my brand of cigs because the one I was on gave me too much nicotine or gave me headaches.

Why does this only happen with vaping? Why do people lower their nic levels constantly when they never did with cigs? Why do people say they came down from 24mg when they first started vaping because it was 'too much' even though they smoked two packs a day? Why do people say certain nic levels when vaping make them 'jittery' and nervous when nobody I have ever known who smoked has ever said that?

I'm just asking a question here. Why are people having massive problems with nicotine intake when vaping that they need to control and manage that they NEVER had while smoking?

Like Rolygate has stated, "cigarettes are a fully engineered product. they are not simply tobacco leaves chopped up and rolled in a paper tube. They have been carefully crafted to be as efficient, or as addictive, as possible - according to your point of view." They contain all sorts of chemicals. The fact that nicotine is a stimulate is masked by all the other ingredients in cigarettes. Why you don't get that jittery feeling.

h. Nicotine overdose is easily avoided with an e-cigarette: stop vaping when you get dizzy, and reduce the strength of your liquid - exactly as with coffee or wine drinking. It couldn't be much easier. Because the onset of nicotine effect is rapid enough with vaping that consumption can be stopped when symptoms appear, it is hard to go beyond the minor inconvenience stage. The exception to this is if a serious error in DIY refill mixing is made, and this is a different matter. No one has ever died though, and we don't have any reports of hospitalization. Essentially, this means the risk is the same as for coffee/caffeine.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Seems to me (and I have read on the internet!) that nicotine absorption via vaping is slower than with cigs. So, you may have enough nic awaiting processing while you still add more to your system. I usually don't do long vape sessions, but sometimes I notice after I put my thingy down... that I've had a bit too much. Note the "after I put my thingy down" part.

Something something freebasing nicotine with ammonia something pretending to know stuff I only skimmed through, something.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Honestly, I think when smoking(even chain smoking) the Nic is the reason(need) and as we reach that demand point we tend to back off.
With Vaping we actually enjoy the vape and may be missing that trigger/signal to slow down.
I have even noticed my reaction to Nic was dependent on the Device I was using.

My first experience with my normal 12mg and an Ithaka Tank left me Royally dizzy in a matter of minutes. It was/is the difference in Volume of e-liquid being processed. Dropping to 9mg solved that problem and I have sense dropped to 6mg and use mostly my better devices. Sweet!:D

erikbal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
Olean, NY
I tend to OD on the nic whenever I get something new to play with - I'll puff away on it whilst I'm tinkering and then suddenly think 'whoa' and put it down for a while. Also, moving from one less efficient device or topper to a more efficient one can take you by surprise.
I tend to do the same thing. When I get something new I am trying out or when I just put in a fresh coil or something I'll chain vape to test it out and then I start feeling nauseous. I never really get dizzy or light headed, just the nausea. When that happens I set it down for a while and it doesn't last too long.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

fretplayer20

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Mobile, AL
I started at 24mg as well and thought nothing of it. It wasn't until I actually vaped someone's 12mg that I realized my original was pinching my throat so badly due to the nic level. I only remember a couple of notable times of getting a headache. I think the delivery system is just more direct. There aren't tons of other ingredients and poisons masking the nicotine absorption into your bloodstream. Therefore when you vape a heavy nic juice, it's just there immediately. But i'm no scientist, so what do I know. it just made sense, so I typed it. :)

In all seriousness though, when I decreased my level to 12mg, I still would get a weird sort of .... lightheaded-ness I guess I would call it. So I moved down to a mixed 8mg recently and haven't had any problems at all. I'm sure it differs from person to person. That's a decent question that i'm sure we have all thought at one point, but it was never a big enough problem to think much of it. I didn't until I read this post.

Edit: Also, it could have something to do in part by the mixture of your juices I would think. For instance, the viscosity of a VG is thicker than PG, so maybe the nic settles more in one part ... and if you don't mix the juices well enough, you could be getting a much higher concentrated dose per hit?

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
Thanks for the responses everyone, sorry I'm a bit late replying.

On the Green Smokes and eRoll I was happily vaping 18mg, but switching to the MVP/PT I've realised that given the amount I vape (and the huge difference in the quality of the vape) that I'm probably better switching down to 12mg.

I've also noticed that the single-coil PT hits a lot harder nic-wise than my dual-coil iClear 16b that came with my MVP - different toppers just deliver the nic in radically different ways I guess.

I've had this as well. Usually when I get a few new liquids in the mail and I want to try them all, before I know it I've overdone it. I haven't noticed much difference with the Aspire dual coil and the protank single coil other than the Aspire is a better vape. I'm not saying it doesn't deliver more nicotine, I just haven't noticed it.

You need to drink, drink, drink. More than you want to. Some members says drink water, but I say drink your favorite beverage. If you have dropped your nic content then you are not over nic-ing. Sounds like dehydration which also has symptoms of headaches.

Try it and let us know how it goes.

I'm always aware of the fact I need to drink a lot of liquid and make myself do it even when I don't want it. I'm definitely getting too much nic but it's weird, I was on 24 for three weeks, been on 18 mostly for six weeks and now that's too much it seems.

I know some people deliberately try to lower their nic levels but I didn't, I'm doing it because I think I have to. I have gone from normal EVOD batteries to a VV battery and a VW battery maybe that has made a difference?

Like Rolygate has stated, "cigarettes are a fully engineered product. they are not simply tobacco leaves chopped up and rolled in a paper tube. They have been carefully crafted to be as efficient, or as addictive, as possible - according to your point of view." They contain all sorts of chemicals. The fact that nicotine is a stimulate is masked by all the other ingredients in cigarettes. Why you don't get that jittery feeling.

That makes sense I suppose, I'm just surprised it's taken three months to notice and it's still changing all the time.

Honestly, I think when smoking(even chain smoking) the Nic is the reason(need) and as we reach that demand point we tend to back off.
With Vaping we actually enjoy the vape and may be missing that trigger/signal to slow down.
I have even noticed my reaction to Nic was dependent on the Device I was using.

My first experience with my normal 12mg and an Ithaka Tank left me Royally dizzy in a matter of minutes. It was/is the difference in Volume of e-liquid being processed. Dropping to 9mg solved that problem and I have sense dropped to 6mg and use mostly my better devices. Sweet!:D

I've thought about this a lot it's definitely something to do with vaping habits v smoking habits like you said. I chain vape sometimes without even realising it if I find a new flavour I like. I don't feel I'm worse for this kind of thing now than when I started but maybe I am and haven't noticed.

The weird thing is I'm fine all day but in the evening specially when it's late I am all over the place. Maybe I just need to vape something lower nic in the evening?

You devices also play a big role in how hard the nic hits you. I know when I made the switch from clearos to RDAs I had to drop my nic level by half. The RDAs just delivered the nic that much more efficiently for me (with my build).

Yeah I think the more powerful batteries have played a part in it to some extent. I'm on normal clearos though, no sub ohm stuff going on or anything like that lol.

Well anyway, I'm going to try going on 12mg stuff for a while though I noticed it was harder to get a nic 'hit' at 18 when I stepped down from 24 and I know I'm vaping more than I was to compensate. I don't know how that will work out with 12mg. It seems I 'need' higher nic but my body can't handle it. It's a bit of a dilemma. I can't think of any reason my nicotine tolerance would drop so much in the space of three months.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Thanks for the responses everyone, sorry I'm a bit late replying.

Well anyway, I'm going to try going on 12mg stuff for a while though I noticed it was harder to get a nic 'hit' at 18 when I stepped down from 24 and I know I'm vaping more than I was to compensate. I don't know how that will work out with 12mg. It seems I 'need' higher nic but my body can't handle it. It's a bit of a dilemma. I can't think of any reason my nicotine tolerance would drop so much in the space of three months.
Have you changed vendors from where you purchase your eliquids? Or perhaps, started making your own?

I recently started making my own ejuices and had to cut back on the nic(much to my surprise). I double checked all my measurements to make sure I wasn't stupidly doing something wrong or measuring off or anything like that. I wasn't. So that leaves me wondering about some of the different vendors from whom I have bought eliquids. Not accusing anyone of anything, I just am thinking that the difference in where they buy their ingredients may end up being a good deal different from the last vendor.
Food for thought anyways.
Hope you feel better soon.

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
Have you changed vendors from where you purchase your eliquids? Or perhaps, started making your own?

I recently started making my own ejuices and had to cut back on the nic(much to my surprise). I double checked all my measurements to make sure I wasn't stupidly doing something wrong or measuring off or anything like that. I wasn't. So that leaves me wondering about some of the different vendors from whom I have bought eliquids. Not accusing anyone of anything, I just am thinking that the difference in where they buy their ingredients may end up being a good deal different from the last vendor.
Food for thought anyways.
Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks Sugar, no my buying habits haven't changed much apart from a few new vendors. No DIY yet though it's my next step. maybe I should jump on that sooner rather than later so I can play around with different nic levels and see where that takes me.

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
WTA has a lot to do with it for some people, I think.

First of all, you're detoxing from the other alkaloids, which will make you feel odd even if you're getting nicotine.

Secondly, if you're chasing the other alkaloids, you'll be craving 'a smoke', substituting vaping for that, and loading up on nicotine, never hitting the satiation point because you aren't ingesting the psychoactive elements you're actually craving.

Combine that with the fact that for most people smoking is fairly self-limiting (I can't smoke more than 1 every 1/2 hour even if I'm drunk), whereas vaping isn't, and the delayed absorption, and you can easily overshoot your level.

P.S. try some Thunder Ultra snus if you want to check you're sure what nicotine overdose is like. Cripes ;)

Last edited:

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
WTA has a lot to do with it for some people, I think.

First of all, you're detoxing from the other alkaloids, which will make you feel odd even if you're getting nicotine.

Secondly, if you're chasing the other alkaloids, you'll be craving 'a smoke', substituting vaping for that, and loading up on nicotine, never hitting the satiation point because you aren't ingesting the psychoactive elements you're actually craving.

Combine that with the fact that for most people smoking is fairly self-limiting (I can't smoke more than 1 every 1/2 hour even if I'm drunk), whereas vaping isn't, and the delayed absorption, and you can easily overshoot your level.

P.S. try some Thunder Ultra snus if you want to check you're sure what nicotine overdose is like. Cripes ;)

I thought about WTA's but a couple of things put me off, mostly that they are untested and they are prohibitively expensive (and I'd have to buy them from the US anyway). Strange thing is, I haven't once even considered having a cig since I started vaping. I just never wanted one. Maybe I want the alkaloids and don't even know it? Dunno, but yeah it kind of makes sense I might be overcompensating a bit and taking in too much nic.

I've been on 18 for quite a while now, and for the first three weeks on 24 I had no problems at all then suddenly it hit me. I can't figure any of it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread