Just a thought: atomizer repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapinginmyboots

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
Upstate NY, USA
Hello everyone. Ive been thinking, if someone were to come up with a sure-fire way to repair dead atomizers, they could make a good amount of money and help a lot of us out, were they to open up an atomizer repair shop or something to send dead atomizers to. Maybe some kind of technical process that noone has figured out from what Ive read so far. It could be possible if someone well-connected knows a smart technician or 2 and maybe a chemist or 2. Personally, it would make me feel more secure if a ban actually comes down the road. Only problem would be, is it legal to fix a banned device for a profit? Any thoughts on this would be great.

Vapinginmyboots

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
Upstate NY, USA
I knew this guy who fixed Xbox video game consoles that died, they call it the "red ring of death" (3 rings on the console turn red, indicating general hardware failure) and those that had it happen to them were devastated cause it was considered unfixable. He showed me how to fix it because I was going to work for him, it is actually a very simple process and most were completely repairable. It involved only a few steps and a special oven. He made/makes a lot of money doing it. Thats where I started thinking, perhaps its possible, highly doubtful yes, but may be possible. I think we would all agree it would be a sweet thing!

asidrave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2009
New Jersey
for what an atomizer is worth...i dont think that repairing one would be worth it.

even if they could be repaired...what would you pay to have it repaired vs. the time it will take to repair it, materials, a warranty, shipping...etc

many of the techs, modders, tinkerers here have tried and are continue trying to successfully repair one to make it worthwhile.

Vapinginmyboots

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
Upstate NY, USA
You have a point there asidrave, there would be tons of overhead costs, and atomizers are relatively cheap to buy new. So far the techs and such are puting a good amount of effort into it and even have some success from what I seen, a fool-proof way to fix them may not even exist. The more I think about it now, the more doubtful I become that a repair shop makes sense.

Angela

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hertfordshire, England
Am I the only one who hates the 'disposable' world we live in?

I would much rather have things repaired than throw something out - if it is at all possible, but these days, no matter what object we're talking about, it's almost impossible to get anyone to repair anything!

I bet if a ban comes about, there will be a ot of people interested in repairs then! LOL! :D

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
LuckySevens4U - I haven't tried it myself (no need) but it seems reasonable given what I know from taking them apart. If you've not tried running under a hot tap (from both ends, alternating), you could try that first and if no luck, try the key-hole surgery.

Angela - In the Modders forum is a thread called something like cigar rebuild by RjG that explains with photos what to do. Good luck ;)

Oh, vince.cadc posted the link already (#7) :)
(That thread should be a sticky, just in case we all need it one day)

Last edited:

Vapinginmyboots

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
Upstate NY, USA
Am I the only one who hates the 'disposable' world we live in?

I would much rather have things repaired than throw something out - if it is at all possible, but these days, no matter what object we're talking about, it's almost impossible to get anyone to repair anything!

I bet if a ban comes about, there will be a ot of people interested in repairs then! LOL! :D

See, I was thinking of the ban when I thought of it, if it was banned and someone had it figured out, wala! $ signs come to mind :D

unixian

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Hi all. First time post for me - long time lurker.

Yeah - Atomizers are what we used to call in the Gas Detection industry "Razor Blade" items: IE. they're consumable. Trying to repair an atomizer would be as logical as repairing a light bulb. But yeah - if a ban goes into effect, then the situation changes doesnt it.

Speaking of Gas Detection, I've always been struck by the similarity between ecig atomizers and combustible gas detetor heads. A classic detector head is a platinum or nichrome coil coated with a catalyst in some cases. The coil is placed inside a sintered stainless steel housing that allows gas to pass through it but will not allow flame should a failure of the detector act as an ignition source.

The fixed units run under 24 volts but they have hand-helds as well. I don't understand why someone (maybe a supplier?) doesn't look into contacting a petro-chemical intstrumentation or safety supply house about adapting some of these heads for ecig use. AFAIK, all atomizers are foreign-made - which means they have to go through customs...

Vapinginmyboots

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
Upstate NY, USA
You may be able to get them NOW, but if our respective governments get their way, it may become very difficult in the near future. They are treating this as "guilty until proven innocent".
Thats what im thinking. The e-cig has 2 important things that affect longevity, the atomizer and the e-liquid. We can use a usb passthrough for a battery, or a mod like the screwdriver. They cant ban batteries. The atomizer and the e-liquid are a potentially a different story, as they would be in short supply. If the atomizer could be repaired somehow by a shop, then the only worry would be stocking up on/getting the liquid. Perhaps someday it will be possible.

Vince1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Down South, USA.
It's possible now, Just not a priority. But if there is a ban, and I start running low on my stash, you can bet I will be making my own.

Necessity IS the mother of invention (or re-invention). In fact, a ban could lead to new breakthroughs in atomizer technology. Things like screw together atomizers that you can just plug in a new coil with no solder. And coils that last a really long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread