Just got my Kraken clone, had a queation

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
I ordered a 1:1 Kraken Clone from pegasus Vapor Academy. I wanted to get some peoples' opinions on wicking it,

I wanted to try setting it up as an "auto-dripper" as statedin pegasus Vapor Academy's youtube video. but I also got some stainless steel cable (not mesh) and silica ekowool. The kraken itself came with mesh.

I was going to try to put the cable into the silica ekowool like a sleeve. how do you think that would work? would just the cable torched be better? how about compared to mesh? what compared to the cotton as mentioned above?

Lova

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2014
Finland
There's few options for that, personally I prefer mesh, as it provides the best possible wicking and flavor/vapor out of any wicking method.

But using rda's/RBA's is always about experimenting, try all options and see which works the best for yourself, there's no correct answer to these, just opinions.

Just remember, using mesh or cable with or without any sleeves requires oxidization of the wick, e.g. cable or mesh before it is safe to use in a genny.

Experiment and vape safe!

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
Tried the "auto-dripper" with cotton on a dual coil.... and i didn't realize the steel cover actually has airflow options... I was wondering my my flavor was so mute and a bit off.

after opening up the holes, the flavor is a lot better, and as of now the cotton has had absolutely no trouble keeping up with my usage.

However I find it odd my kayfun has a more potent flavor considering the vapor has to travel farther, but i think this has to do with the size of the drip tip and chimney condensing it,

Going to try cable next

Scy123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2014
Canada
I use to use the kraken with cable and ekowool sleeve. Works great! Best wicking I ever got out of it. Could chain vape a whole tank without dry burning. I've tried all the other methods you mentioned and it just does not keep up. This is at 40w (the highest I could go without dry burning)

Trying to use it without the sleeve is a pain. Ive tried it without success... too many hotspots. The sleeve also helps with flavor.

A tip on getting the cable through the ekowool, tape one end of the cable so the sides don't catch onto the ekowool and pull the tape out afterwords.

Nowadays I just use the Lemo. I get better flavor/vapor. With less expensive/elaborate setups.

p1t9hLm.jpg

Last edited:

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
Thanks for the info.

I only vape at 10-20 watts, so maybe that's why my cotton is working,

However, I did crank it up to 25 and 30 (didn't hit it, just pressed button) for a little bit and the cotton did in fact keep up. It seems the heat draws the liquid.
>
I am planning on trying cable with ekowool next. Any other tips (even non-wicking related) are always appreciated. The more you know, am i right?

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
My experience is that mesh gives a more efficient heating of your liquids compared to wire rope. The rope tends to heatsink more and give you less bang for your (battery) buck. On the other hand, it's almost hard to make wire rope not wick enough. Easier to make leak-proof setups that way. Just plug all other deck holes and it will still wick well.

My Kraken is usually set up with 500 mesh and a classic single-coil 4 wrap 28 awg Kanthal coil. I think everyone who wants to get into gennies should try one of these builds. It's sort of the "standard" ~0.8 ohm gennie build. You may find that chasing flavor, vapor and throat hit works a bit differently on mesh wicks than other setups. So it may be a good idea to try "the basics" just to get a feel for it. At least for me, I'm more about purity than density of flavors. So mesh wicks with somewhat 'weak' liquids is perfect for me.

The only reason I sometimes use wire rope is for diversity and because a couple of my gennies are already set up with it. I tend to prefer the mesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread