Just got my Magma and 28 gauge kanthal.. Trying to make 2+ ohm coil.. Any pointers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaporWebHQ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
Pittsburgh
www.vaporwebhq.com
This is my first venture into rda's I just got my Magma clone and some 28 gauge Kanthal and Organic cotton in the mail.

I am going to use this on a Vamo V-2 so I want to get 2 ohms or more. Maybe 2.5 if I can.

I'm using 28 gauge Kanthal because when I ordered the stuff it was what someone recommended.

Any tips on how I can make a single 2.5 ish ohm coil?

I'm not sure what diameter to wrap the coil around or how many wraps or how tight of wraps.

I do have a multimeter and of course my Vamo has a Ohm readout also.

Any help would be great as I would love to be able to try this Magma out!

Thank you.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I wouldn't suggest making anything near a 2 ohm coil with 28ga. Yes it could be done but your lag time....time it takes the coil to get up to temperature is going to be long due to the amount of 28ga wire needing to be used to get the ohms that high. I generally do micro builds using a 5/64" bit and 2 ohms with 28ga would take around 13 to 14 wraps, 2.5ohms would to take even more wraps. I try to keep my number of wraps at 10 or below at that ga and diameter to keep lag time down. You could go a bigger diameter and less wraps but you're still using to the same amount of wire.

For 2.5 ohms builds I'd recommend 30 or 32ga, 32 will get you there easier but it's to thin springy for my preference. 30ga is a good place to start for 2ish ohm builds imo. 8 wraps with a 5/64 inner diameter should get you right at 2 ohms and keep the lag time down.

If you don't want to get any 30ga then try your 28ga and a 8 to 10 wrap microcoil at 5/64 diameter, less wraps if you go bigger or more wraps if you go smaller, that should put you in the 1.2 - 1.5ohm area and work well with your Vamo.

Last edited:

VaporWebHQ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
Pittsburgh
www.vaporwebhq.com
I just tried to build my first coil before I seen your reply and My vamo says its 2.1ohms but it wont fire. I hit the fire button and nothing happens.

I wouldn't suggest making anything near a 2 ohm coil with 28ga. Yes it could be done but your lag time....time it takes the coil to get up to temperature is going to be long due to the amount of 28ga wire needing to be used to get the ohms that high. I generally do micro builds using a 5/64" bit and 2 ohms with 28ga would take around 13 to 14 wraps, 2.5ohms would to take even more wraps. I try to keep my number of wraps at 10 or below at that ga and diameter to keep lag time down. You could go a bigger diameter and less wraps but you're still using to the same amount of wire.

For 2.5 ohms builds I'd recommend 30 or 32ga, 32 will get you there easier but it's to thin springy for my preference. 30ga is a good place to start for 2ish ohm builds imo. 8 wraps with a 5/64 inner diameter should get you right at 2 ohms and keep the lag time down.

If you don't want to get any 30ga then try your 28ga and a 8 to 10 wrap microcoilat 5/64 diameter, with a 5/64" diameter less wraps if you go bigger or more wraps if you go smaller that should put you in the 1.2 - 1.5ohm area and work well with your Vamo.

VaporWebHQ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
Pittsburgh
www.vaporwebhq.com
Nvrm lol when you said about the lag I didn't realize just HOW MUCH lag there would be... I thought it wasn't firing but I figured I would hold the button down longer and it is firing it just takes foreever for the coil to glow..

Shame I bought 28 gauge I dont have anything smaller and really want to try this thing out.. I think the Magma did come with a tiny bit of kanthal that is smaller than the 28 i have but I'm not sure what gauge it is.

Also it seems like my coil is glowing a little off center. Its glowing from the center out but a tad off center, is that ok?

Check to make sure you don't have any shorts, coil isn't toucing the body, etc. Also check the center pin on your atty and make sure it's connecting good.

VaporWebHQ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
Pittsburgh
www.vaporwebhq.com
Although it takes a long time for the coil to glow I'm really happy with my first RDA :) This is great! btw I got the Paradigm Magma and the Ehpro Kayfun lite Plus from eciggity and I'm happy with my purchase so far. I havn't got to try the Kayfun yet because I need to look up some videos on it I'm not sure what to do with it lol.

So you think 30 is good for 2ohm+ coils correct? Looks like I'll have to order some from amazon, I think I seen someone selling some with good reviews from vapers.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Nvrm lol when you said about the lag I didn't realize just HOW MUCH lag there would be... I thought it wasn't firing but I figured I would hold the button down longer and it is firing it just takes foreever for the coil to glow..

Shame I bought 28 gauge I dont have anything smaller and really want to try this thing out.. I think the Magma did come with a tiny bit of kanthal that is smaller than the 28 i have but I'm not sure what gauge it is.

Also it seems like my coil is glowing a little off center. Its glowing from the center out but a tad off center, is that ok?

Although I'd recommend getting 30ga for that pv you can use your 28ga. Just use less wraps and try to stay in the 1.2 - 1.5 ohm range. Your Vamo should be ok with that and the lag time shouldn't be bad at all. I don't know what diameter you're using for your coil but 8 - 10 wraps of 28ga using a 5/64" diameter should get you close.

If you want to get some 30ga check here, you can get 50 or 100ft rolls for less than many charge, they also sell on Ebay.

http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/search.html?category=Resistance_Wire

As far as the coil glowing off center and if you're doing a micro coil just press the button till the coil gets hot and glows then release the button and while the coil is still hot press the wraps together with some tweezers...DO NOT touch the tweezers to the coil with the button pressed but do it right after while the coil is still hot, that should get it glowing from the center. If you want a visual just search microcoil or micro coil on Youtube, there are 100s of videos showing it.

If you're doing a regular coil then just pick at the wrap that's not glowing a bit and move it slightly then try again, that should get them glowing evenly.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
2.1ohm = low load, lots of wire and 28ga is fairly thick compared to a Clearo coil @ 34-36ga

If the Vamo reads the resistance and does not say Lo when you hit the button, it is firing. How fast you will see the results will depend on what you have set the Vamo's output to.

No reason to build that high for the Vamo. It can handle below 1.4ohm and the Magma will work much better in that range.

VaporWebHQ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
Pittsburgh
www.vaporwebhq.com
Sorry I didn't see anyone replied again to my thread. It is the Tebeco Clone ( Atleast thats what I ordered but it does say Paradigm on the side so I dunno), I was going to get the infinity but Eciggity where I ordered was out of it.. The Tebeco one I got it perfect I don't see any issues with it and it has the delrin insert between the posts.

What company makes your magma and how is the quality?

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
Is there a reason you want to do a 2 ohm coil and not something like a 1.1 - 1.2? As previously mentioned the lag time is going to be huge and the Magma really shines at just around the 1.1-1.5 range with a single coil.
I have a magma also, and want a 1.5 coil. I am using a provari. I have 28, 29, and 30 ga wire. Can you suggest which one to use and how many wraps? And 1/16 or 5/64" drill bit?

Last edited:

VaporWebHQ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
Pittsburgh
www.vaporwebhq.com
I actually just made a coil and set up my Kayfun lite plus using my 28 gauge and 1/8 drill bit with like 7 wraps and its like 1.7ohms which is working great on it.. My magma though is not hitting nearly as well because of that lag time so I'm going to rebuild the magma with a lower ohm coil. I would love to get a better mod like a 50w box mod or just mech mod.. I feel a little limited already using my vamo but mainly because my Vamo is really beat up I've had it for a long long time and dropped it many times. It is straight anymore and the sections are wacky and tilted and the display is all fogged up and I cant get it to unfog and the one button is stuck down to the point where just the slightest touch raises the wats/volts.. Its just seen better days lol.. I don't have the money atm though which sucks, but just having these RDA's now is a big improvement over the i06's i was using. I need to get different juice though because I wanted to try some new juices I've been using the same flavor from the same company for 3 years lol.. I also need to get a lower nic strength as with these RDA's its to strong I'm getting headaches from to much nic.

Nick N

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
What wattage are you using? I have the Vamo v5 and the Magma, I use 28 gauge and do about 8 3mm wraps which comes out to ~1.8 and it does fine from 8-15 watts (prefer 15w). Gapped coils or nice and tight, doesn't matter. I am using the Artistic Wire Coiling Gizmo to wrap my coils BTW...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread