Just got my Recurve, got a few questions about installing coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogzx

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
USA
First off, this is my first rda. Think i've got the coil glowing evenly now, but i'm still a little concerned with the ohms its reading at. It's kinda jumped all over the place, started at .18 (think I was doing it wrong) and now its at 28-29 according to both my Revenger and my ohm reader. Not sure what the stock coils that came with it are supposed to read at, and i'm still just generally confused as to how I install them. Do I put the leads in all the way and then screw down? Or just barely put them in and then screw down?

alvitae

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2009
Oregon Usa
First off, this is my first RDA. Think i've got the coil glowing evenly now, but i'm still a little concerned with the ohms its reading at. It's kinda jumped all over the place, started at .18 (think I was doing it wrong) and now its at 28-29 according to both my Revenger and my ohm reader. Not sure what the stock coils that came with it are supposed to read at, and i'm still just generally confused as to how I install them. Do I put the leads in all the way and then screw down? Or just barely put them in and then screw down?
Those Allen wrench looking tools that came with it are leg gauges. Slide your coil into the long part. Then cut the legs flush, or just a tad shorter than the short part of the tool. Then place the coil with the top of the coil flush or just a little shorter than the top of the RDA. (The airflow towers).

As far as the fluctuating ohms make sure your 510 pin is tight on the bottom of the RDA. Then take your coil out and try again. Make sure the screws are tight but keep in mind you can get so tight you snap wires in the coil and cause grief.

I have also found that wicking tighter worked better for me.

Edit: As far as putting coils "all the way in", I always make sure my legs aren't touching the bottom of an RDA so it doesn't short out. Ideally legs should go just past the screws of an rda. Just enough to grab securely.

Frogzx

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
USA
Those Allen wrench looking tools that came with it are leg gauges. Slide your coil into the long part. Then cut the legs flush, or just a tad shorter than the short part of the tool. Then place the coil with the top of the coil flush or just a little shorter than the top of the RDA. (The airflow towers).

As far as the fluctuating ohms make sure your 510 pin is tight on the bottom of the RDA. Then take your coil out and try again. Make sure the screws are tight but keep in mind you can get so tight you snap wires in the coil and cause grief.

I have also found that wicking tighter worked better for me.

Edit: As far as putting coils "all the way in", I always make sure my legs aren't touching the bottom of an RDA so it doesn't short out. Ideally legs should go just past the screws of an rda. Just enough to grab securely.
Hmm, maybe I need to cut a little shorter then. Cut them to the specifications on the rod and they were still a little bit above the airflow towers, and that was with me pushing the coil as far down as I could. I think it's safe to just put them all the way down to the bottom? At least it didn't short out for me when I did.

Reactions: Heartsdelight

VapeFreak

Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Just picked one up also. Very nice flavor RDA! Here is a pic of my coil placement.

Attachments

• 15315053337148244412547871745135.jpg
    15315053337148244412547871745135.jpg
    954.7 KB · Views: 192

StraightJohnson

Jun 15, 2018
Is it supposed to get scorching hot? The drip tip is fine but if my lips barely touch the RDA its like aaaaaah. Just using the stock coil with some organic Japanese cotton at 30w.
No. It should not get scorching hot. I have brought my Recurve upwards of 70w, and never has it gotten so hot that I couldn't vape.

• Agree
Reactions: VapeFreak

opticruby

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
UK
First off, this is my first RDA. Think i've got the coil glowing evenly now, but i'm still a little concerned with the ohms its reading at. It's kinda jumped all over the place, started at .18 (think I was doing it wrong) and now its at 28-29 according to both my Revenger and my ohm reader. Not sure what the stock coils that came with it are supposed to read at, and i'm still just generally confused as to how I install them. Do I put the leads in all the way and then screw down? Or just barely put them in and then screw down?

If you want easy consistent leg lengths on your coils in this and all postless RDA's, google 'coily tool', I use 2.5mm on the Recurve.

My stock Recurve coils always come in at 0.24ohms if it helps.

• Informative
Reactions: gpjoe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread