Just got new mod...With great power...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomeX

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
HTX, USA
Comes great responsibility!

I've been waiting for my Provari to come in, and saw my delivery date change from 9/21/2013 to 9/23/2013 while I was waiting last Saturday. Thankfully I stuck around and I was surprised to hear a knock at my door-- Boom, new Provari! The only other things I've vaped were disposable Blu's. I figured I'd spend a lot more if I didn't get a Provari from the start.

So, I loaded up the included Protank 2 with 0mg Vertigo from CC Vapes, and I was on my way to unlimited vaping...

I think I did two tanks on Saturday and then Sunday, I went to my local bar and chain-vaped three tanks. Man, last night I had a headache! I was okay this morning, but when I showed some co-workers my new toy and took a puff I got another headache.

My current setup yields a nice cool vape, not a big throat hit, so I'm really not getting the same feedback were I to chain-smoke cigarettes. Yowza, this is so smooth, I did'nt realize how much I was vaping! The patrons around me must've thought I was burning incense.:vapor:

tl;dr: made the jump from blu's to Provari, overdid it this weekend, headache city...:facepalm:

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA
Certainly agree with everyone else. IBCR brings up a good point too. If you're used to vaping #% nicotine juice and suddenly switch to 0mg you'll be getting a headache from withdrawal. Inversely if you were to start using higher mg you can get a headache from that as well. Try to find your happy medium whatever that may be and stick with it, or at least use gradual transitions from one stage to another.

I quite understand how amazing vaping is, even 0mg it's a wonderful experience. But as with all things in life one must practice moderation... doesn't mean it's always easy!

I got a flavor that I REALLY enjoyed and vaped far too much in a short period of time and learned the lesson too, horrific migraine for 2 days. Certainly aggravated by this horrendous allergy season we're having, but a mistake on my part for sure.

Hope you feel better soon & stay safe! :)

Last edited:

nomeX

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
HTX, USA
I can just as easily smoke as not... I just like the smoke. I also smoked pipes, so my habit was in the plumage. I smoked camel/marlboro lights on the weekends at band practice or during happy hour. I smoked roughly a pack a week, with my smoking done on Sunday and Tuesday. No smoke breaks at work, just when I drank, really. I was able to make my first disposable Blu last six days. The second one, 4 days, the third, one day. I figured, "just get the Provari, you'll only be spending that much before you eventually get there, anyway."

The first day I had my Provari, I vaped two tanks between 2pm-11pm. The next day, I read a book, vaped a bit, then went out to lunch and then to the bar to watch some football/showw off the Provari. I think I vaped 3 tanks of 70/30 pg/vg, 0mg juice from 2-5:30pm, and then I had an early dinner. Around 10pm I had a headache which was gone by this morning. I didn't vape at all until I showed some co-workers my new toy, and when I took a drag, the headache returned.

It's not nicotine withdrawal, I gave up smoking for a few weeks before an insurance test and I was able to get non-smoker rates. I just know I overdid it due to how smooth this system is, with almost unlimited power (I had three batteries with me), and almost unlimited juice. I could never smoke more than a pack a day or three bowls of a latakia blend pipe tobacco, but vaping with the Provari and Protank2 was just so easy... I'll experiment with different ratios, but this weekend, I was definitely the "monkey with the button!"

Tl;dr: casual smoker becomes tank/hour vaper when supplied with superior vaping capability, and pays the price with monster headache.

nomeX

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
HTX, USA
:facepalm: $200 bucks just to be styling:laugh:

Well, glad your enjoying it and use less pressure on the draw. The headaches may subside.

Why else, aren't we all? ;-)

Should I spend money on cig-alikes, then get a 501 set up, and then get 4 chinese mods and then get to the "I shoulda bought a Provari at the get-go" stage? I did that with my pipe habit, bikes, and basses.

If I could stick with pipes, I would, but those things with the tobacco I used (Latakia and other Eastern blends) made a Cuban cigar feel like a marlboro light :D

I had pipes that cost more than a Provari, just as I had pipes that cost less. I looked at all those $50 pipes and thought about how many REALLY good pipes I could have had instead of 6-8 nice ones. $200 on a Provari makes more sense to me than a $200 box of cigars or cigarette habit-- at least there's something in your hand at the end of the day, which is why I was a pipe guy, not a cigar guy- we had better toys and more flavors to choose. Compared to a Savinelli, Peterson, Dunhill, or those custom Viking pipes, heck mech mods are reasonable. Vaping to me is more akin to pipe smoking than cigarettes- most cigarette smokers find one flavor and then suck on that forever.

I was never in it for the nic fix, just the flavor. Unfortunately, chain vaping is way easier to do than chain smoking / pipe smoking. I don't get the burned tongue or busted lungs to tell me it's time to quit.

Happy Vaping!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My daughter vapes 0 nicotine for the flavors and to help her relax while studying at college. Not on a Provari, but a mechanical Altsmoke BB setup. She's never been a cigarette smoker, but likes the flavored smoke at hookah bars when socializing with her friends. She got the idea of wanting her own BB from seeing my black one. She has a pink and purple BB with color-matched Innokin iClear 30 clearomizers.

She's already converted a few of her cigarette smoking friends to purchase their own e-cigs to quit tobacco.

BB.jpg pinkblackandpurpleBBs.jpg

Last edited:

nomeX

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
HTX, USA
You know with my luck, Bad, the nicotine content was probably mislabeled and it was really 24 mg...

Hookah bars are also a problem for me-- that cool, flavorful smoke would also creep up on me, but my lungs would tell me when it was time to stop.

I look forward to a mechanical as a future purchase, it should go well with the Provari. When the batteries start dying on the Mech, I'll just put them on the Provari and finish them off.

Cactus Breath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
AZ
Why else, aren't we all? ;-)

Should I spend money on cig-alikes, then get a 501 set up, and then get 4 chinese mods and then get to the "I shoulda bought a Provari at the get-go" stage? I did that with my pipe habit, bikes, and basses...
There are some very vocal ProVari haters on ECF who love to pee on other peoples' parades any time the 'P' word is mentioned. Most of them have never even seen or held one in real life. Congratulations on your purchase of a very durable, reliable and enjoyable mod. If I'd bought mine in the first place instead of going through disposables, cigalikes and eGos first, I would have saved myself a lot of money.

As far as the headache goes - as others said, could be dehydration. Vaping draws moisture from your oral/nasal tissues as you vape, so hydrating frequently could stave off the problem. Good luck and enjoy!

nomeX

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
HTX, USA
Did you consider any other Mod's beside the Provari? Just curious what your biggest draw to the Provari was. I'm considering one myself..along with a few other mod's lie the SID, Vamo, eVic.
B

I did. I considered the Lava Tube due to the price, and I kept running into the same thing: "If you can afford it, go with the Provari." My biggest draw to the Provari was build quality, reliability, and customer service.

Excuse the forthcoming geekiness: I made a mistake long ago when I was racing Radio Control cars- I chose a Kyosho Ultima over an Associated RC10 because it had won the world championships that year (1988) I believe it was also the same price ($139). There is still an RC10 in some form today. /geekiness

In my other hobby, shooting, I favor three handguns: Colt 1911, Glock 9mm, and S&W .357. The Provari goes right along with my choice in firearms. I have yet to find the Glock of the the Mod world. I feel the Provari is akin to the 1911, with the Reos being pretty close to the Smith & Wesson. Heck it might even be closer to a .45 Long Colt Single Action Army! Of course ideally I'd have everything chambered in .45ACP (or 10mm) with the Smith eating Full Moon Clips.

I had the money available (I was so close to getting a Halo Triton starter), I knew what I wanted, and I knew I wouldn't be happy with anything else, so that's why I got the Provari. Some may say, "yeah, but for the price, you could get two/three more other mods." True, but with my history, cheaper stuff always breaks down on me. I'm a guy that buys tools with a lifetime warranty. I buy the best that I can afford, or I save up for it. I work hard for my money, so I like so spend it on quality. I have a mech in mind for a future purchase.

Good luck to you, as you can see this site is a wealth of information. I was able to read and study and watch videos before coming up with what was the best decision for ME

nomeX

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
HTX, USA
-snip-
As far as the headache goes - as others said, could be dehydration. Vaping draws moisture from your oral/nasal tissues as you vape, so hydrating frequently could stave off the problem. Good luck and enjoy!

Yeah, I guess all those Lonestars weren't quite the hydration I needed ;-) and before you beer snobs come running in, I do drink Porters, Ales, and Stouts, it's just Lonestar is my perfect sipping/session beer... :D

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
Congrats on the 'vari brother. Same shoes as you, made the leap (thanks to ECF) from cigalikes to 'vari, here is a post I made when I finally got it.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...noob-looking-recommendations.html#post7504743

You filled in one piece of the puzzle, now you need to find yourself a juice and delivery device, then it's all cake from there..

Damn proud to see history repeating itself, in a good way for a change. BTw, today is my 1 year smokefree anniv.

RHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread