Just had a tooth extraction, can I vape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McCloud

May 5, 2013
Bath
Pretty much what the title says, just had a fairly large Molar removed, (probably because of smoking analogues). The dentists gave me a list of things to do and things to Not do, one of which was to not drink and smoke in the next 48 hours. Just wondering if anyone is thinking it might not be the best idea to vape either?

Advice much appreciated.

stillnotsmoking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
GA, USA
Call your dentist and ask.

Can't beat that advice with a stick :)

Considering you're not supposed to drink through a straw or smoke I wouldn't vape considering vaping is like sucking through a straw....

That's the issue here (the sucking action) not the smoke or the liquid.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
If the nicotine stings on the open wound don't do it until things heal up after a few hours. Then take it easy for most of the day because nicotine will constrict blood vessels reducing blood flow needed to heal the wound. You could try some nicotine gum on the other side of the mouth if needed during the first day.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Can't beat that advice with a stick :)

Considering you're not supposed to drink through a straw or smoke I wouldn't vape considering vaping is like sucking through a straw....

That's the issue here (the sucking action) not the smoke or the liquid.
Beating a dentist with a stick may not teach him anything about vaping. ;)

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I would suggest avoiding the vaping for a couple days. The reason they say to avoid smoking is the suction that you create with the cig. While it isn't the same suction with an ecig it is still suction and could lead to a dry socket. And that hurts like H3LL! Good luck!

yeah its really not the nicotine so much as it is the suction...dry sockets are awful...i've had it before

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
You're not supposed to due to the sucking more than anything else. And nicotine doesn't aid in healing. Did you dentist really tell you not to drink anything? That's a new one to me.

I've had a lot of teeth removed and I was bad each time. I smoked right after, just tried not to suck very hard.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
As several other have said the issue is that the sucking action can remove the blood clot and cause a dry socket.

Back in my early 20's a heavy smoker friend of mine had his wisdom teeth take out. He knew better than to smoke...normally...but he HAD to have his nic fix. His solution was to put the cig up to one nostril, pinch off the other and inhale through his nose. I honestly cannot imagine what that must have felt like, but he did that for 2 days. it was the strangest thing to see.

jimrug1

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2012
Peoria, IL
You can always rub the ejuice on your body, the nic will be absorbed thru your skin.:vapor:

Or .. Stick the mouthpiece in your nose and breathe in real slow. May want to turn down your voltage to cool off the vapor a little... ;-)~
I know Grosssssss but desperate times call for desperate measures!

The whole reason they tell you not to smoke after a tooth extraction is that no matter how gently you pull/draw that fragile clot in there that keeps you from bleeding and lets you heal can easily be dislodged. It may no longer bleed but you can more easily get an infection from any particles in your mouth lodging in the open site that the clot was acting like a bandage/filler.

That same smoking rule, since the mechanics are the same, would go for anything you essentially 'pulled' on. And its does not take much. They don't tell you to gently smoke or gently suck fluids in a straw and I doubt vaping would be any difference. The act of drawing is is enough to dislodge that clot during the first 24 hours. I had one taken out and when he said no smoking I told him that's was okay I vaped anyway. He gave me a very odd look and since he knew what vaping was I though 'oh wow he is going to tell me he vapes too'. Instead I got a lecture on the fact that I might not be breathing in all the crap from a cigarette but the mechanics were the same as smoking and I should not even consider it. Spent the day with the old nicotine patch (could not chew gum either). I guess if you vape somehow by just breathing the vapor and not pulling or drawing the vapor in like an analog it might be different but I don't know anyone that vapes like that :0

You got the best advice from face Meat, though, and that is to call and ask your dentist if you are not sure. Different dentists can have different cans and can'ts after they do work and they should have the say in what they want you not to do. You may even have to explain to him what vaping is and what your draw is like and then let him make the call.

If you can't reach him for an answer I would just abide by what your post-extractions instructions said about smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread