Just hands on 1st build with RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennneth

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2019
Dallas
Howdy,
With the generosity of a lovely person here on ecf, I just built my first 2 rta's : )

Wotofo Serpent Mini 6 wrap S316L clapton 3mm at .443 ohm
Damn vape Fresia 5 wrap S316L clapton 2.5mm at .275 ohm..
according to the Pico.

Everything went well and as expected...got way too much nic in the last hour!

The Fresia is very good MTL and uses very liitle power, 6ish watts.
The Serpent is good all round with about 12ish watts use. (both after a 70 watt preheat).

I must say SS works better in VW than the Melo Kanth coils, imo.
The Melo has more open airflow than either (Tad more than Serpent).
Happily surprised at how well the Melo with Ni200 performs, actually.

And as I expected, the Pico can't TC the SS as well as Ni200 but again, haven't tweaked PID much on SS yet either.

Learned a lot this evening : )

Loving the smoothness of the SS : )

Awaiting leaks ; )

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Howdy,
With the generosity of a lovely person here on ecf, I just built my first 2 RTA's : )

Wotofo Serpent Mini 6 wrap S316L clapton 3mm at .443 ohm
Damn Vape Fresia 5 wrap S316L clapton 2.5mm at .275 ohm..
according to the Pico.

Everything went well and as expected...got way too much nic in the last hour!

The Fresia is very good MTL and uses very liitle power, 6ish watts.
The Serpent is good all round with about 12ish watts use. (both after a 70 watt preheat).

I must say SS works better in VW than the Melo Kanth coils, imo.
The Melo has more open airflow than either (Tad more than Serpent).
Happily surprised at how well the Melo with Ni200 performs, actually.

And as I expected, the Pico can't TC the SS as well as Ni200 but again, haven't tweaked PID much on SS yet either.

Learned a lot this evening : )

Loving the smoothness of the SS : )

Awaiting leaks ; )

Hey.. a couple thoughts here...

First question, are you using simple round wire on that 316L? Or is it Clapton wire?

I ask because TC sometimes has a difficult time reading Clapton wires, and does better with straight round wire.

A Pico owner might be able to help you more in that regard.. I neither do TC nor own a Pico, so I'm just taking a stab on the dark on that based on what I've read other people say.

As for the Fresia, it sounds like you have it set for MTL, whereas you can set it for RL..

You might want to check out this thread for that RTA:

Damn Vape Fresia MTL/RL RTA

They can help you with setting it for RL, or you can ask questions etc..

Overall though, it sounds great! You've learned a lot...you'll definitely have to figure out what DL RTA's there are which will fit that Pico...

There are a lot of 22mm RDA's, but most the RTA's in 22mm are mtl..

You'll have to explore the issue further..there were a couple other suggestions for you, someone suggested the aromamizer (the original one) and i know the 30mm is my son's favorite, so checking out the 22mm would definitely be worth a shot for you..

Last edited:

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Hello @Kennneth, those ohms seem on the low side for MTL vaping.

Also, get some round wire of a couple of different gauges. 26 to 27 could be of some interest, as some manufacturers do different micron/mm diameter wires under the wire gauges.

Got a small collection of different sizes because of this. 0.34mm is a good one, 3mm ID spaced at 6 wraps is around 0.6+ ohms, 7-8 spaced wraps would probably be of more interest to you in an MTL RTA though as you'd be getting closer to 1 ohm.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hello @Kennneth, those ohms seem on the low side for MTL vaping.

Also, get some round wire of a couple of different gauges. 26 to 27 could be of some interest, as some manufacturers do different micron/mm diameter wires under the wire gauges.

Got a small collection of different sizes because of this. 0.34mm is a good one, 3mm ID spaced at 6 wraps is around 0.6+ ohms, 7-8 spaced wraps would probably be of more interest to you in an MTL RTA though as you'd be getting closer to 1 ohm.
Believe he mentioned in another thread he's leaning towards dl.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
Maybe worth everything or nothing. But I thought I read somewhere that TC is also affected by attys. Some are great while some are meh, and some even don't work at all. I have 2 mods that support TC. I dropped some 24G SS 316L to my Kylin mini and another in Serpent Elevate. Kylin Mini works fine. I don't really know what is great experience in TC because I have very little time fiddling with it. But it doesn't work at all with the serpent elevate. Both mods auto switch to wattage mode when I use TC in the Serpent Elevate. Asvape Strider, and Rofvape XER are the mods.

Reactions: Kennneth

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Maybe worth everything or nothing. But I thought I read somewhere that TC is also affected by attys. Some are great while some are meh, and some even don't work at all. I have 2 mods that support TC. I dropped some 24G SS 316L to my Kylin mini and another in Serpent Elevate. Kylin Mini works fine. I don't really know what is great experience in TC because I have very little time fiddling with it. But it doesn't work at all with the serpent elevate. Both mods auto switch to wattage mode when I use TC in the Serpent Elevate. Asvape Strider, and Rofvape XER are the mods.
I have used a serpent elevate in TC mode every day for the last 4-5months. No problems that I can recall. SS 316L pretty much exclusively.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
With some mods you have to tweak TCR values.

Kennneth

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2019
Dallas
Hey.. a couple thoughts here...
First question, are you using simple round wire on that 316L? Or is it Clapton wire?
I ask because TC sometimes has a difficult time reading Clapton wires, and does better with straight round wire.
As for the Fresia, it sounds like you have it set for MTL, whereas you can set it for RL..
Overall though, it sounds great! You've learned a lot...you'll definitely have to figure out what DL RTA's there are which will fit that Pico...
Was provided some AVS 28/36 claptons by a lovely person here : )
The major issue I see is the TCR resistance factor the range SS has for the Pico device. It handles the wide range of 1 - 2 with Ni200 easy and very well. Not so well with the 1 - 1.2 range of SS (just less points for the Pico to read and therefore adjust from). And with this comes far less control with PID on the Pico. I'm sure ya'll hear more of my ramblings on that at some point...

Dadburn tooting it was/is great! Love learning... and I'm working out which 24-25mm I'll be getting ; )

70w preheat is pretty wicked for a 6w or 12w build. SS tc isn't really necessary at that low wattage. Try just using power mode with normal ramp.
100% agree, I actually have PID temp control take over when it gets to 85% of set temp. So not there long and variable depending on atty temp (sometimes never makes it to 40 watts on preheat). And yes, VW is much better imo with this build and SS but I can tell the vape is quite dependent on airflow/draw. I likely will use VW often but think TC will be the go to.

If your Pico has "Smart" mode, you might give that a try.
Yes, I tested it and it works well so far. Looked at my coil range and changed the setting from 10 to 15% and turned it on : ) Goes to the first profile with that coil setting every time so far...I'll always check though ; )

Hello @Kennneth, those ohms seem on the low side for MTL vaping.use of this.

Yea, I'm just learning and experimenting and will continue to do so and all advice is listened too : ) MTL, DL, MTL... Arrgh! Lol, actually see doing both as the MTL on the Fresia is quite nice. A deep flavor cigar juice, when the mood strikes : )

Maybe worth everything or nothing. But I thought I read somewhere that TC is also affected by attys. .
I think you whacked that nail pretty square there! Yea, a lot of factors go into that perfect vape ; )
As I fully disclose, I'm a noob, but I'd check and see if your TC coil resistance (during heating goes up out of the range your mod is capable of). Can at least rule something out and maybe give another clue as to the issue you have/had.

I have used a serpent elevate in TC mode every day for the last 4-5months. No problems that I can recall. SS 316L pretty much exclusively.
Yea, a fellow TC'er! What mod you use? I think you've said but I forgot ; )

With some mods you have to tweak TCR values.
Yea, good advice! I set for 316L but preset SS is so close and with Pico control on SS not much different (i.e. couldn't tell any). Again, single device experience on my part : ). I plan to do some nefarious things with these values to see what I can do with waveform shaping that PID may not be able to do...goes something like this...
DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! Ya, been warned ; )

Really happy and surprised at the Melo. Good performer for me with 0.15 Ni200. Eats batteries though. With that said, I like all 3 but in different ways. Pretty sure will be rocking the Serpent mostly in the coming days as a big benefit it has is with less energy usage to get a great vape in TC, the atty doesn't get as warm and vaping 10-20 times over 5 minutes is a more consistent experience than the Melo (heat build up changes flavor profile even with same vape temps being achieved).

I learned a tremendous amount and 1 thing surprised me. First I did non-space and she glowed correctly after a brush job. Some amount of wick. No leaking vaped good about 2ml. Ok, lets experiment, took apart spaced and raised coil. Thought, might as well learn about wicking (she wicked fine before) so I intentionally used what I though was very little wick, about 50% of what I used first time expecting it to leak. It was fluffed and still filled the vent circumference with contact all around. Didin't leak overnight or in use. My surprise, the large range of ok wick amount!

Leak.....>|<........................Wicks ok...................................>|<.......not wicking

IMO ; )
Well, enough rambling, need to go do some stuff, and many THANKS to everyone : )

Kennneth

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2019
Dallas
Well you know all that whoie I said above, well a lot of it is wrong!
I entered the wrong wire type in! It's actually SS430... corrected and Pico control now very good and similiar waveshape to Ni200 achieved....more flavor...
Sometimes learning hurts...
Safety notice, ALWAYS ENSURE YOU KNOW what your working with! Thankfully I was monitoring and paying attention...a little bit anyway!
Dadburn it!
Oh well, now off to hijack a nickel TFR curve... more nic od to come...
BTW, TCR 138 works well on SS430... face palm

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Congrats Kenneth :thumb:

I have both the serpent mini and damn vape Fresia. The serpent mini is a bullet proof, flavour banger that never leaks. I'm boring and usually use 26 or 28ga SS316l in it. Currently being a tad less boring with a twisted kanthal wire coil ;)

Also love the Fresia - another flavour banger.

I take it you are using arctic fox on the pico? I installed it purely to create custom logos :rolleyes: I soon found it's huge benefits in better battery usage and TC vaping

• Love
    Reactions: Kennneth
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread