Just one day and it's in this state. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokyo87

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
Hello.

This is my coil after 1 and a half day (1 and a half tank on kayfun 5) of vaping:
main-qimg-e8f2fa780d44a83e377b23847d82b7a3-c

And a wick:
main-qimg-7e9f08d40ceda9047e88bafd717cc99b-c

Why is it burned so fast? I vape at max 10 Watts, coil is 1,25 Ohm Kanthal, 28GA so too high temperature or to high watts are not the case, my coils are heating up pretty slow. I am using unflavoured 15DW/85VG e-liquid so neither flavours are the case. My draws last from 2 - 4 seconds. Vapour production is still good, vapour taste is not affected (no burnt taste).

What is this black gunk or layer on the coil? What does it mean from health point of view?

How to resolve this issue? How often do you rewick your coils? How long does it take for your coils to get to this state? At which power (watts) do you vape?

Thank you for your answers in advance.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
The darkening is normal "caramelization" and not a health concern. Continuing the draw for a tad after releasing the fire button may help reduce it.

If it's not changing the taste, no reason to change the wick. When needed, sure, and a dry burn of the coil.

I tend to vape about 8.5 watts across 1.5 Ω, KF2s. I do vape flavored, don't care for the taste of un, and flavors indeed can hasten the browning, some more than others.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
you're at high ohms and low amps... in order to burn the cotton, you would have be vaping harder/faster than the wicking can keep up with... as david said caramelization is normal, but yours actually looks burnt in those pics, but that could just be the lighting.

i'm far higher wattage and far lower ohms... so i can't help there.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
It's been a while since I've used a Kayfun, but from the first picture, it looks like your wick looks a bit heavy. It may be being choked, by being too tight in the coil, and can't keep up. Also, by the looks of the wick tails, they may be blocking, or partially blocking the juice holes. Try rewicking a little looser, and trim the tails so that they just barely touch the ledge.

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016
    I vape at 1.3-1.5 ohm 12-15 watts on flavored juice 3 days it will look like that. Using unflavored I can go a week. Mind you I'm using clapton coils and organic Japanese cotton so they gunk up faster than regular coils. Only reason I can think of why your coils are gunking so fast is either to much wick, bad cotton, or its still got a lot of heat and still vaporizing after you hit.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

Why is it burned so fast? I vape at max 10 Watts, coil is 1,25 Ohm Kanthal, 28GA so too high temperature or to high watts are not the case, my coils are heating up pretty slow. I am using unflavoured 15DW/85VG e-liquid so neither flavours are the case. My draws last from 2 - 4 seconds. Vapour production is still good, vapour taste is not affected (no burnt taste).

If you are getting Good Vapor, and it Doesn't Taste Burnt, then I think things are Pretty Much Normal.

Just going by the Picture, I'm kinda with Rule62 though. It looks like you might be using a Tad Too Much Cotton for you wicking.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    That you're not getting a burnt taste suggests it's not a burned wick, just slightly "gunked." But too tight, can lead to burning as it can choke off the juice flow. Too loose will also bring problems, of course.

Cotton will expand a bit when wet, so it's pretty easy to wind up with a bit too much :)

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Try rinsing the wick. If it's burnt it will leave a brown spot.
    If it's caramelized it will rinse clean.
    Could be the VG causing the build up.
    I have a REO always loaded with 25/75vg unflavored, and can go a couple months before rewicking or dryburning the coil. Even after a couple months the wick is still white. 6ml per day.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread