Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrsun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
los angeles
Hi All,

I don't want this post to seem like I'm trashing the Vmod as I know there are a lot of folks here that enjoy theirs, and the device when working properly is a great box mod for the price. But unfortunately my experience with Vmod has left a sour taste in my mouth and I though i would share my experience.

I knew all along that I had wanted to try a box mod and the two mods that really caught my interest were the mini reo 2.1 and the vmod 2.0. I had wanted a small form factor box mod to stealth vape at work and take with me on my buisness trips. I am currently using a eroll in this capacity. Although i am happy with it the eroll, the vape is a little on the weak side and it's really annoying to have to carry around all those filled carts and constantly having to cut my vape breaks short because the 90mah cigalike battery will only last me in 10-15 mins. Anyways, I chose the vmod over the reo initially due to styling and price. The vmod just looks smoother and more sophisticated compared to the square hard angled reo, and the discounted price of the vmod premium kit was almost half of what the mini reo was selling for and it came with two batteries, charger, atty, carto, and spare juice bottle. These two factors alone were what made me choose my initial box mod.

So here begins the story of the vmod 2.0

I ordered the Vmod 2.0 on 10/3 and received it on 10/7. The first thing that went wrong was vapage sent me the wrong color ( i ordered black they sent me silver). No biggie, I used the online chat function yesterday and politely told the customer service agent my problem and they promised to send me a replacement black case with a return label for the silver one I got. I spend the rest of the day and evening learning how to properly sqoink the vmod and enjoying the overall vaping experience. By late afternoon yesterday I had pretty much stopped using the silo carto and kept the hybrid atomizer in full time as I realized that the hybrid atomizer was excellent. By evening the atty refused to work in the Vmod and only the vmod. I dont know what happened, at first I though the atty blew out, but then i didn't remember hearing a pop or feeling any degradation in the vape. I stuck the same atty on a another mod I had lying around and guess what, it fired right up and vaped extremely well as a dripper. I checked the batteries and tested the ohm on the atty and everything was fine, I just wouldn't fire in the vmod. Dejected I put the silo carto back into the vmod and used that for the rest of the evening. This morning as i packed up my supplies for work i swapped out the vapage battery from the night before and put in the fresh battery and both battery stickers started to peel on me. Half on and half off i decided to pull then entire vapage sticker off and spent the next 10 minutes cleaning glue residue off the two batteries. Getting to work late the first thing I did was call vapage to let them know of the atty issue and see if they had a solution. Not only did they not have an solution for me but they didn't even ship my black replacement case yet which they promised would go out yesterday. Really annoyed now I get through the work day on the vmod and carto and when I get home I find the vmod completely dead. Somewhere along the drive home the vmod must have shorted and luckily the battery spring did its job and shrunk enough to break the circuit or I would have possibly had a fire in my car on my drive home.

So here is sit with the Vmod 2.0 packed back into the original box ready for me to ship back to vapage tomorrow and a order confirmation from reosmods for a mini reo 2.1 in black wrinkle and a extra repair kit. Hopefully reosmods ships fast and I will have better luck with my second box mod :(, right now I'd probably settle just to get it in the right color...

By the way does anyone know what the return policy at RTD Vapors is, I have 4 AW IMR 14500 batteries on route to me and no device to use them in.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Oh this really sucks! Sorry you had such a bad experience jerrsun. I've been lucky I guess. I've had little setbacks in my vaping career, but nothing like you just have.

Glad to hear you are OK and no damage was done to you and yours. Those collapsing springs are really nice to have in case something bad happens! My XL continues to work well for me, but I hear ya, and if all that had happened to me I would be pretty upset too.

The Reo is a great mod and I'm sure you will be happy with it. I don't know what RTD's return policy is. I would offer to buy those batts off you, but I only use 18650's. Best of luck with it all!

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Bummer man... It's a shame you had a bad experience. The Vmod is not for everyone and there have been a few cases of problems such as what you experienced... The good news is it is returnable and no hassles from Vapage. As to the spring collapsing, as Ryedan said, good to hear all is ok and it was just the device that suffered in this instance. You don't hear much about the spring collapsing in a Vmod so something must be amiss with what happened. Never had a problem with my XL either. I think the majority of complaints I have heard about the Vmod was with the 2.0 usually. I'm not convinced that any APV should be made for use with a 14500 battery to be honest. The batteries just don't hold up the same as an 18xxx series APV. Regardless, wish you luck with your new device thats on its way...

As to RTD's policy, here is a snipit from their site.... Returns must be authorized prior to sending items back. RTD Vapor does not pay for return shipping. All batteries must be in new, unused condition to be accepted for return. A used battery is considered being placed in a charger or device. This also applies to all items on this website. Exceptions to this are manufacture defects.

jerrsun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
los angeles
Thanks for the support guys...

Just got back from the post office and shipped off the Vmod. I did have a disturbing conversation with the customer service rep this morning about returning the Vmod. She had insisted that i would need to pay a 15% restocking fee for a refund. This was after i explained all the problems I had with the device. She kept insisting that they would send me a replacement for free but if I wanted a refund there would be a 15% restocking fee. Luckily I found the faq on their website that stated all refunds would be for the full purchase price if dissatisfied with the product. Only then did she relent and told me to just send the unit back.

Now the wait for the REO mini begins....

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
That sucks jerrsun, it's one of those times where everything just goes wrong when it shouldn't (because generally even though I don't own a Vmod they don't do that, probably a defective unit.) Odd what happened with the customer service, can't really comment there. Good luck with your next mod, drop by REOville and let us know your experience with the REO when you get it.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
if you over tighten the atty in the vmod this can happen, the pin can get pushed down and not return up, this would explain why the atty that was fine stopped working, also if you tighten it too much you can actually push the pin all the way down until it bottoms and this can short the mod out which explains the collapsed spring, so the lesson here is do not over tighten the atty :)

you don't need to crank it down , this goes for the reo as well as the vmod, just snug it till you feel resistance, then just a little more for good measure then check for firing, over tightening can do damage on any mod but the vmod doesn't handle it well because it allows the firing pin to drop enough to short out way before gasket damage, where most other mods would be fine up until actual gasket damage from repeated or severe over tightening. glad you got a return on the vmod, yes the reo costs more than twice as much but it is also more than twice the device, so you get what you pay for. the vmod is a good budget device but the reo is just a good device period, good luck with it :)

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
if you over tighten the atty in the vmod this can happen, the pin can get pushed down and not return up, this would explain why the atty that was fine stopped working, also if you tighten it too much you can actually push the pin all the way down until it bottoms and this can short the mod out which explains the collapsed spring, so the lesson here is do not over tighten the atty :)

you don't need to crank it down , this goes for the reo as well as the vmod, just snug it till you feel resistance, then just a little more for good measure then check for firing, over tightening can do damage on any mod but the vmod doesn't handle it well because it allows the firing pin to drop enough to short out way before gasket damage, where most other mods would be fine up until actual gasket damage from repeated or severe over tightening. glad you got a return on the vmod, yes the reo costs more than twice as much but it is also more than twice the device, so you get what you pay for. the vmod is a good budget device but the reo is just a good device period, good luck with it :)
^Great advice right there. If I may suggest something, it's using an O-ring. You can safely it tighten it knowing you are not jamming your atty too far down and even get the airhole to where you want it to be.

You will be happy to know Robs service is top notch. I usually get my mods in 2 or 3 days after ordering, and I live in Texas.

One good thing about VMods...they sure increase sales for Reo's
:lol: :lol:

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
One good thing about VMods...they sure increase sales for Reo's

Well of course. And so will the Aurora's. :toast:

Vamo sales increase prothingy sales.

Mech Clones increase High End Mech sales.

Rebuildable coil clearo's increase RBA sales and then high end RBA sales go up too.

And, cig-alike sales and disposables increase ego & twist sales.

Can you imagine what the e-cig industry would be like today if one had to buy $300 or more worth of equipment and supplies from assorted vendors that only advertised in an on-line forum dedicated to the hobby, instead of an Njoy King for $8? I even know a couple of people who prefer disposables. Afterall, everyone doesn't want the hassle of charging a battery.

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
Well of course. And so will the Aurora's. :toast:

Vamo sales increase prothingy sales.

Mech Clones increase High End Mech sales.

Rebuildable coil clearo's increase RBA sales and then high end RBA sales go up too.

And, cig-alike sales and disposables increase ego & twist sales.

Can you imagine what the e-cig industry would be like today if one had to buy $300 or more worth of equipment and supplies from assorted vendors that only advertised in an on-line forum dedicated to the hobby, instead of an Njoy King for $8? I even know a couple of people who prefer disposables. Afterall, everyone doesn't want the hassle of charging a battery.
Absolutely true. Some things that we see as "stepping stones" are the all day setup of others. Most people I've met are on eGos with Vivi novas and Protanks. I always just tell them to look around Genesis tanks/dripping attys, and of course bottom feeders, but if they are happy with their setup, that's all that matters. It also depends on how into vaping someone is, as opposed to someone who simply wants a way to quit smoking and eventually vaping quickly at the same time. Some of us find joy in many aspects of vaping; trying out mods, modding/tweaking them, coil setups, making our own DIY mods, DIY juices/trying different vendors. Sometimes when I drop by a B&M people say "Oh what's that? Can I try it?" Regardless of whether they are amazed by the flavor/vapor production/warmth/etc., when I explain how it works many of them just go "Ah, seems like a lot of work. I'll just stick to my eGo setup, much simpler".

No kidding, I once dropped by this famous B&M here in Miami and the employees themselves, after I explained to them about making coils, one of them goes "Ain't nobody got time for that!". I'm like...5 minutes...5 minutes. :lol:

Last edited:

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
ha, for the first few years all I did was use disposable attys as a dripper, didn't want to know anything about tanks, rebuildable what??? why would I ever want to rebuild something that only costs a few bucks???, Id rather just toss it and put a new one in... rebuildables sounded like they made about as much sense as washing and reusing diapers, why???, looks like such a pain in the azz, just throw them away and use a new one, cheap enough... it's not until the hobby end of it bites you, and you then start to realize the performance that's really achievable with some effort, and you then start trying to make it better and better, and then you're just stung, a full on vapehead instead of just someone who vapes I guess :) to someone who just vapes it's def going to seem like it makes no sense at first I think :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread