Just picked up a DSE905, Stick, and eGo for under $100 total (short review and comparison)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
I was purchasing some atomizers at Heaven Gifts, and I noticed a few deals on mods. I picked up a DSE905 (body only) for $30, a Joye Stick (body only) for $30, and an eGo (battery, cone, and charger) for $30. Since I already have a bunch of batteries and chargers, this worked out to be a pretty good deal for me. I figured that with three mods, there was a good chance I'd find at least one that I liked.

The good (Joye Stick)
I've already owned a few of these. My v2 burned out, and I replaced it with a v3 (silver) that has been my main device for the past couple of months. So I already had a high chance of liking the same device in a different color -- I went with the black rubberized body, as my silver has gotten pretty scratched up from daily use.

Appearance: Looks good, and the rubberized body seems like it would hide scratches very well. As a test, I used a sharp dentist tool to put a few scratches on it, and they were almost impossible to see after I rubbed my finger over the scratched area.

Quality: While it feels flimsy, I do know from experience that my other v3 stands up very well to being dropped fairly frequently, often onto concrete or asphalt. I imagine that the rubberized coating will only assist in protection from dropping. Two negative points did stand out, though. First, the USB recharging port is slightly crooked. This is not the case with my other unit. However, this does not seem to affect the charging function at all. Second, the switch is loose, and rattles when the device is moved. Again, it doesn't seem to affect the functioning of the unit, but it does make the whole thing feel "cheaper."

Performance: As expected, the device performs wonderfully with an 801 atomizer. Lots of flavor and vapor, without too much heat. The battery is the smallest out of the bunch, but the USB charging makes all the difference. While I do carry an extra battery, I've never had to use it, as I just plug the device in when I'm at my desk at work or home, or my car when I'm out and about. The standard USB connection means that you can get charging cables all over the place, including the local dollar store. Solid performance and just enough functionality to fit most people's needs seems to be an excellent combination in my opinion.

The bad (eGo)
As I'm a fan of the Stick, I figured the eGo had a good shot of being a decent device. The relatively mediocre battery size wouldn't be enough to get me through a day, so I'd need to have a backup battery to make this an everyday device. But for testing purposes, I only needed one. I figured that if I liked it, I could pick up an extra battery or two, and/or pick up some extra chargers.

Appearance: The first thing that struck me was how much smaller the device was than I thought it would be. In retrospect, I think it's because most pictures of it show it with the cone attached, which makes it hard to estimate its size in relation to an atomizer. It's a very nice looking unit, although the button does look a bit lower quality than the rest of the device, marring the overall look somewhat. I hadn't realized that the LED was in the button, though, and I'd always thought this was a neat idea, and wondered why no one else had used it before. I'd originally thought that the cone was a superfluous component, and that I was probably just wasting $3 by getting it, but after looking at the device with and without it, it's clear that the cone is an absolute aesthetic necessity. With the cone, it's a sleek looking vaporizer. Without it, it looks like some weird scientific probe.

Quality: Overall, the device feels very solid and well-made. The button does take away from the look, though, and it has sharp, raised edges which make it a bit uncomfortable to depress. The tolerances are a bit off, as the cone is touching my atomizer on one side, while there is a gap on the other.

Performance: Fairly decent with the 501 atomizer. Acceptable amounts of vapor and flavor, though not as good as on the Stick. The moment I used it, though, I realized why the "LED in the button" idea never really caught on -- you can't even see the light when your finger is over it. To check the LED, you need to perform some manual acrobatics, and there doesn't appear to be any way to comfortably use the device and keep the LED visible. There is one other problem with the device, though, and it's more important. Even fully charged, it only registered as 3.9v on my meter. That's pretty close to the point at which I put my batteries back in the charger (around 3.6v, when it becomes very noticeable). This may simply be a problem with the charger, and I'll leave it on for a longer period and see if the voltage ends up being higher.

The ugly (DSE905)
I'd heard about this device being a copy of the ScrewDriver, and the body does seem to be similar. However, this one has a button in the right place, and an LED ring, so I'd been considering it for a while. It does use the 14500 battery instead of the 16340s, which is good for me, as I have plenty of spare 14500s, but only a few 16340s.

Appearance: All in all, a fairly nice-looking device. Fits in the hand pretty well, and it's big enough to hold comfortably, without being too big for your pocket. The body is very shiny and reflective, which actually is a bit of a problem, since it doesn't match up with the finish on a stainless atomizer.

Quality: Very thick walls, and it seem pretty sturdy. However, there are signs of poor build quality throughout. Visible solder clumps, atomizer connection at a slight angle, etc. And...oh, my god!...the acrylic LED ring is installed upside-down! How can you possibly miss that at the quality control point? I have to assume there isn't any quality control on these units. And since HG no longer has these in stock, I can't even pick up another one (it was on clearance, with no warranty, so an exchange isn't likely).

Performance: Terrible. At first I thought it might be that I'm not used to the 901 atomizer, or that I had to break it in. So I put on some adapters and tried with a 501 and an 801 that I knew were good. A bit better, but still pretty poor with the 501, and not great but usable with the 801. I pulled out the battery and measured it...4.0v, so that shouldn't be the problem. I tested voltage at the atomizer connection...3.3v! No wonder the performance is so bad. EDIT: Even with the switch off, there's an open connection between the outside body of the device and the center pin of the atomizer connection, and that's getting the full 4.0v. I took an old LED and touched one lead to the center pin of the atomizer connection, and the other one to the body of the device, and the LED lit right up. It looks like the switch breaks the negative connection to the atomizer, rather than the positive connection. This is very bad, as you can short out the battery accidentally if the device is, say in your pocket and some change makes a connection. Since I'm not a fan of sparks or explosions in my pocket, I definitely won't be carrying this one around.

So, in review:

Joye Stick: Cheap but quality, great for everyday use.
Joye eGo: Small and sleek, but with some limitations.
DSE905: Good potential, ruined by quality issues.

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
All I can say is wow!

Owning all 3 of these devices (originals) I am flabbergasted that you would vote the stick ahead of the eGo, for longevity. My best device at the moment is my eGo, for every day use and 3 times on Sunday. I will concede that I do enjoy the fact that the Stick can operate as a PT, and both my sticks have there use. But to date, there is no device (stock) at this point that I am aware of that comes close to the eGo and it's cousins batts longevity which is a solid 6 hrs for a heavy vaper.

Edit: Some of the voltages provided do not make any sense at all.

Last edited:

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
All I can say is wow!

Owning all 3 of these devices (originals) I am flabbergasted that you would vote the stick ahead of the eGo, for longevity. My best device at the moment is my eGo, for every day use and 3 times on Sunday. I will concede that I do enjoy the fact that the Stick can operate as a PT, and both my sticks have there use. But to date, there is no device (stock) at this point that I am aware of that comes close to the eGo and it's cousins batts longevity which is a solid 6 hrs for a heavy vaper.

I'm with Switched!!

The Ego is, by FAR, one of the best units out there. I too get a SOLID 6 hours from it and I'm a TRUE chain vaper.

As for the buttons LED display, I don't understand why you would need to resort to 'acrobatics' to see it? It's right there, under your finger. :confused:

I LOVE this about the Ego, I can have a 'stealth vape' when I want it, but it's not a TRUE stealth with NO light..I've always wondered about those m'self..at least when you HAVE a LED, you know it's the battery dying on you when it starts flashing. If you want to see the Ego's LED, just move your finger off the button and LOOK at it. :yawn:

Look at it this way, you got what you paid for, don't bash one of the best e-cigs quite so 'openly'. I'd suggest highlighting WHERE you got it from and HOW much you PAID for it.

A lot of people on ECF will perform a seach using 'Ego' and your 'review' will pop up. Not fair to the original manufacturer OR the vendors SELLING the Ego. :nah:

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
Owning all 3 of these devices (originals) I am flabbergasted that you would vote the stick ahead of the eGo, for longevity.
I'm not saying that the stick battery lasts longer, I'm saying that the USB recharging function means I never end up running a battery all the way down, which is not the case with a 650mAh battery like on the eGo (a 900mAh battery just barely almost gets me to the end of the work day, for comparison).

I agree. Both the eGo and the DSE905 are showing lower volts at the atomizer than I would expect.

As for the buttons LED display, I don't understand why you would need to resort to 'acrobatics' to see it? It's right there, under your finger.
Exactly, it's under my finger. Maybe I just have big fingers, but they cover up the button entirely. There are two ways to hold the eGo that feel "natural" to me. One is with my thumb on the button, in which case both my thumb and the device itself block the LED. The second is with my thumb on the other side of the button, and using my middle finger to press the button. In this case, my middle finger covers the button and my pointer finger further blocks the LED from sight. Holding it any other way just doesn't feel right, and even then, I have to push the button with just the edge of my finger, which is uncomfortable.

Look at it this way, you got what you paid for, don't bash one of the best e-cigs quite so 'openly'.
As I said, I was fine with the deal and ending up with just one mod I liked using on a daily basis. I don't see that I'm bashing anything, just documenting my experience.

I'd suggest highlighting WHERE you got it from and HOW much you PAID for it.
Uhm, I did. I put that info right at the beginning of my post:
I was purchasing some atomizers at Heaven Gifts, and I noticed a few deals on mods. I picked up a DSE905 (body only) for $30, a Joye Stick (body only) for $30, and an eGo (battery, cone, and charger) for $30.

A lot of people on ECF will perform a seach using 'Ego' and your 'review' will pop up. Not fair to the original manufacturer OR the vendors SELLING the Ego.
I disagree. I think it is unfair to prospective customers not to highlight the good and bad points of the devices. If you only "review" the products you love, you're not giving people the information they need to make their own choices.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Look at it this way, you got what you paid for, don't bash one of the best e-cigs quite so 'openly'. I'd suggest highlighting WHERE you got it from and HOW much you PAID for it.

A lot of people on ECF will perform a seach using 'Ego' and your 'review' will pop up. Not fair to the original manufacturer OR the vendors SELLING the Ego. :nah:
The aforementioned comments are verbose and unnecessary and in doing do add no credence to the argument.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I'm not saying that the stick battery lasts longer, I'm saying that the USB recharging function means I never end up running a battery all the way down, which is not the case with a 650mAh battery like on the eGo (a 900mAh battery just barely almost gets me to the end of the work day, for comparison).
Outside of being tethered to the PC because of usage, I believe it would have been more beneficial to all to state:

• that outside of an 18350 or better, the stick because of its USB capability or allowing it to be used as a PT, ensures that I can use it for an entire work day, without having the need for additional batteries.
Wrt your reported voltages. All JoyE device produces max 3.1V because of the PCB circuitery. (read Scottsbee post wrt battery performance.)

My eGo coming off the charger is 4.19, my 10440 is 4.15V and my 16340 batt for the SD 4.17V.

Longevity:

• Stick 3-4 hrs 10440 320 mAh batt
  • eGo 6-8 hrs 650 mAh batt
  • SD 4-5 hrs 16340 1000 mAh batt (that batt is overrated as seen and mentioned in my SD review.
I have some AW 750 mAh 16340s coming we will see if they last longer. From tyhe reposrt I have read they should. I woudl expect at elast 6hrs from them.

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
The aforementioned comments are verbose and unnecessary and in doing do add no credence to the argument.

I disagree Switched.

What I was saying was that the OP should have highlighted where he purchased these units from. A lot of people merely skim these posts until something catches their eye. (See how that works?) ;)

My other 'beef' with the OP was the 'acrobatic' comment. Also cleared up in the OP's 2nd post. :)

While I agree that everyone has the right to post their opinions, (something I'm NOT afraid to do, btw, just take a look at my history and you'll see me going against the grain m'self...V4L's flavors are downright nasty IMHO, but, to each their own..), I just want to make sure that 'skimmer's' GET the fact that these were probably some Chinese company's 'sloppy seconds'.

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
Outside of being tethered to the PC because of usage, I believe it would have been more beneficial to all to state:

• that outside of an 18350 or better, the stick because of its USB capability or allowing it to be used as a PT, ensures that I can use it for an entire work day, without having the need for additional batteries.
Well, I did say, in my original post:

The battery is the smallest out of the bunch, but the USB charging makes all the difference. While I do carry an extra battery, I've never had to use it, as I just plug the device in when I'm at my desk at work or home, or my car when I'm out and about.
If you like your wording better, that's fine. I just said the same basic thing in different words.

Wrt your reported voltages. All JoyE device produces max 3.1V because of the PCB circuitery. (read Scottsbee post wrt battery performance.)
I'll try to find that post, because I don't see how a PCB by itself would drop voltage without a voltage regulator...unless you're talking about loaded versus unloaded voltages, which is a whole different matter.

My eGo coming off the charger is 4.19, my 10440 is 4.15V and my 16340 batt for the SD 4.17V.
Right, those voltages are in the range that I'd expect to see, not 3.9v or 3.5v. And the voltage you report on the eGo doesn't match the 3.1v figure you mentioned earlier.

Yes it was unfortunately not factual.
Where did I say anything non-factual?

What I was saying was that the OP should have highlighted where he purchased these units from. A lot of people merely skim these posts until something catches their eye. (See how that works?)
Ahh, I see what you are saying. I don't agree, though. I'm just conveying my experience. Past that, I don't see how it's my responsibility to make sure people read all the relevant points. If they want to skim, that's their choice, and they may well miss some things doing so. I find random capitalization, bold text, etc. simply for the sake of emphasis to be rather distracting when reading, so I don't frequently use it.

I just want to make sure that 'skimmer's' GET the fact that these were probably some Chinese company's 'sloppy seconds'.
As I understood it, the only difference between Joye products is whose warranty covers the device. If that's wrong, please let me know.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Please re-read what I wrote, as I am not prepared to go over it again.

Outside of supporting the stick amidst it's flaws, the remainder of your review lacks objectivity IMHO. For someone who is not as well verse with the original devices, they may actually go away with the wrong impressions from your review. I believe that is what Domino was trying to say.

You made some pretty bold assumptions and I merely pointed them out to you. I also pointed out where you can find this information. Most folks do not care to search so here it is: Battery Voltages

Many folks are price driven these days and there is a lot of knock-offs being circulated, of which you bought 3, only to be corroborated by your findings. We appreciate that your review is your impressions, and solely your impressions. In supporting your point of view, wouldn't you be of the opinions that our opinions are equally important, especially since the data provided by these opinions is anecdotal and verifiable.

I will concede that perhaps your devices perform exactly as you described. I wouldn't know as I only own the genuine products.

vandrixfly

Mar 30, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm sorry, just strolling the forums, but doesn't every member of ECF have the right to express their opinions of products Switched? It doesn't mean the products are actually genuine, but that they were sold from a supplier that named them as genuine. In whose lap does that fault lay? Your "observations" of the original poster, if they can accurately be called that, would be more aptly directed towards reviews of HG itself. Not the reviewer who received under-performing products...

It's great that your products work fine. And I'm sure that the OP didn't mean to attack your "ego", but go blow off some steam somewhere else and stop acting like you're better than others. "Please re-read what I wrote, as I am not prepared to go over it again." Like anyone is going to read past that line, much-less the previous post, delivered with that kind of bum attitude...

And if you're really looking for a truly "objective" review, there isn't one out there. We all speak from our own perspective, including our conscious/subconscious bias. See...others can be as picky as you:)

Thanks for the reviews BoonD. I'll take them into consideration.

I wanna throw my 2 cents in.
In a year n a half of using almost everything under the sun...
I have never used a stick... I don't like 801/penstyle atties (although I started with them and used m-201's for quite a time) I never bothered to get one.

I have used many mods and high voltage for most of them to get sold again. IMO it's all about the watts and 3.7 is just great when paired with the proper atomizer...

the dse 905 was ok at first but drop it 2 or 3 times and you will see just how poorly thought out the plastic ring really is... and the draw on the 901 atty was superior with 901 auto batteries in comparison.

The ego/tornado in comparison to all others is quite a perfect little unit... I now tell everyone looking to get into vaping to bypass the small 510/901 kits and don't go big into mods because for the money and performance they are most likely to succeed with the ego/tornado without having to go through the batteries and still get a HV-like vaping experience...

After getting an ego I laid down ALL my other parts, attys and even usb's and mods....
It was just perfect.

I still want a precise tho just for the look.......

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I'm sorry, just strolling the forums, but doesn't every member of ECF have the right to express their opinions of products Switched? It doesn't mean the products are actually genuine, but that they were sold from a supplier that named them as genuine. In whose lap does that fault lay? Your "observations" of the original poster, if they can accurately be called that, would be more aptly directed towards reviews of HG itself. Not the reviewer who received under-performing products...

It's great that your products work fine. And I'm sure that the OP didn't mean to attack your "ego", but go blow off some steam somewhere else and stop acting like you're better than others. "Please re-read what I wrote, as I am not prepared to go over it again." Like anyone is going to read past that line, much-less the previous post, delivered with that kind of bum attitude...

And if you're really looking for a truly "objective" review, there isn't one out there. We all speak from our own perspective, including our conscious/subconscious bias. See...others can be as picky as you:)

Thanks for the reviews BoonD. I'll take them into consideration.
Sir you are absolutely correct.

Unfortunately because of the "thread title" the uninformed could be disappointed, if these articles were purchased unknowingly. I made my observations, because we see more and more folks flocking unknowingly towards knocks-offs because of mis-information and pricing, only to be disappointed afterwards. I guess I should really care less about that, but I can't. I would rather pass off as conceited, than to try and steer folks in the wrong direction. IMHO, of course :D

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
Please re-read what I wrote, as I am not prepared to go over it again.
I have re-read what you wrote, and what I wrote, several times. I do not see anything in my posting that was non-factual, nor do I see anything from you highlighting such. If you cannot substantiate your claim that what I posted was not factual, I will not give your assertion any weight, and neither, I suspect, will anyone else.

Outside of supporting the stick amidst it's flaws, the remainder of your review lacks objectivity IMHO. For someone who is not as well verse with the original devices, they may actually go away with the wrong impressions from your review.
Again, it is not my responsibility to ensure that people do a decent amount of research before purchasing. I documented my experience and posted it, so that it could serve as one source among many that people can read, then use to make their own decisions.

You made some pretty bold assumptions and I merely pointed them out to you. I also pointed out where you can find this information. Most folks do not care to search so here it is: Battery Voltages
Which of my assertions do you feel were "bold?" You seemed to take issue with my wording about the utility of the Stick in terms of battery life in real-world usage, but as I have already said, my message was the same as the one you put forward, even if my wording was different. You claimed that my numbers were "off" or wrong, based on what Scottsbee had determined. In point of fact, he was discussing loaded voltages in his thread, where I am referring to unloaded voltages.

Many folks are price driven these days and there is a lot of knock-offs being circulated, of which you bought 3, only to be corroborated by your findings.
Based on the posts by Mik_Janty, both to me directly and to others, Heaven Gifts is an authorized reseller of Joye, which manufactures the same product for Janty, with the only difference being the warranty and logo. What support do you have for your claim that I bought "knock-offs?"

I will concede that perhaps your devices perform exactly as you described. I wouldn't know as I only own the genuine products.
Thanks for conceding that I might not actually be wrong or lying. And based on the information available, it would appear that I also have the genuine products, unless someone can provide new information.

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
Who do you think buys JoyE products that did not pass QA as you stated in your review?
At no point in my post did I say that any Joye product did not pass QA. What I did say was that the DSE905 had such an obvious problem, that I had to assume quality control was absent in order to miss it. The problem of the upside down LED ring is obvious with even a casual inspection.

Now I have to go and try to figure out a way to reverse the polarity of my SD. Anybody got any hints???
I haven't taken apart a ScrewDriver, but if it's just a battery holder with a switch as I suspect, you can reverse polarity by putting the battery in backwards. Of course, I'd recommend that you confirm the internal circuitry before doing so. You'd only run into problems if the device has polarity specific components in there, like LEDs or voltage regulators. With that said, I can't see why you'd want to reverse the polarity, since the device (assuming a simple circuit as I have explained) would function the same way.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Of course, I'd recommend that you confirm the internal circuitry before doing so. You'd only run into problems if the device has polarity specific components in there, like LEDs or voltage regulators. With that said, I can't see why you'd want to reverse the polarity, since the device (assuming a simple circuit as I have explained) would function the same way.
Thanks for the advice, there is no circuitry involve with a screwdriver, just the battery and the body. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread