Just started diy - how to make a "flat" flavor good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frequentj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2010
Louisville, KY
OK, so I got my diy supplies today, and for the most part, I'm totally happy with my flavors. I got a lot of the FA flavors that I knew I liked (liquid amber, zen garden, hypnotic mist) because I figured that would be easiest to start. I've been mixing my flavors at 10% and a few of them I ended up adding a little more to my 10mL container, but for most of my stuff, 10% seems good. However!! I have two flavors that are just blahhhh. One is fresh fig. It smells great in the bottle, but I can't taste it at all. I added more flavor, but now it's starting to taste bitter. The second flavor I'm having problems with is the cola. I think I have the strength right, but it just seems like something is missing. Kind of like when you forget to add the salt to your chocolate chip cookies. It's not bad, but it's not really good. Any tips? BTW, one of my favorite flavors so far is my imitation "malibu" with 10% coconut and 5% menthol juice I made from 50% crystals, 50% base. Any help is appreciated!

frequentj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2010
Louisville, KY
First suggestion is time, give something a few days before making changes. Concentrated flavoring needs time to fully integrate in your PG/VG. Secondly, you may have gone too far with the ones that are flat. Too much flavoring = little to no flavor.

I'll definitely give the flavors some more time to steep before I make any final decisions, although I did add some lemonade flavor to the cola and I think it helped! I'm wondering if I took it too far with the fig. I think I have about 15% in there, but you sure can't tell it. :p

panachronic

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2011
WA
I agree with most of the comments above. Some flavors are a bit muted even at optimum strength, and once you overshoot it just goes downhill from there.

I have some Capella's Fig flavor and I'd say it is one of the more subtle flavors. I think I would start over at 5%, and add just a little sweetener before adding more flavor.

By the way, Capella's Fig with Capella's Graham Cracker makes a very nice Fig Newton flavor. It's not an "in your face", punchy sort of thing, but it really does taste like the real thing.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
.... It smells great in the bottle, but I can't taste it at all. I added more flavor, but now it's starting to taste bitter...

Read my blogs and you will have an answer for this. You have managed to go past the Too Much stage in my flavoring levels blog.

I've seen this enough that I just blogged it so I didn't have to retype it every time it comes up.

frequentj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2010
Louisville, KY
I've been following the vinegar thread closely, but I'm not exactly sure *when* I'm supposed to add that. When things are bitter? I do need to pick up some EM crystals because I've noticed I'm adding hypnotic mist to just about everything in tiny amount for the sweetness. Besides, playing with the menthol crystals was fun (I made a coconut menthol that sounds gross but is quite good). I will try the fig again in a few days and dilute it if need be. Maybe add a little vinegar? One good thing about diy is this stuff is cheap enough I can play around some. I use that excuse a lot when it comes to vaping lol.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I've been following the vinegar thread closely, but I'm not exactly sure *when* I'm supposed to add that. When things are bitter? I do need to pick up some EM crystals because I've noticed I'm adding hypnotic mist to just about everything in tiny amount for the sweetness. Besides, playing with the menthol crystals was fun (I made a coconut menthol that sounds gross but is quite good). I will try the fig again in a few days and dilute it if need be. Maybe add a little vinegar? One good thing about diy is this stuff is cheap enough I can play around some. I use that excuse a lot when it comes to vaping lol.

Just a few suggestion from my own experiences. The vinegar works with most darker flavors and will help even if they are already good. Citric & Malic acids work with the fruity flavors, makes them pop. EM is a great tool for adding body and a bit of sweetness. TPA sweetener is better for adding real sweetness. I have not used a Fig flavor but have to assume you would have a hard time getting a strong fig flavor, it's a light flavor naturally. Fig Newtons are one of my favorites just not sure about it in a vape, might have to give your recipe a try.

frequentj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2010
Louisville, KY
Just a few suggestion from my own experiences. The vinegar works with most darker flavors and will help even if they are already good. Citric & Malic acids work with the fruity flavors, makes them pop. EM is a great tool for adding body and a bit of sweetness. TPA sweetener is better for adding real sweetness. I have not used a Fig flavor but have to assume you would have a hard time getting a strong fig flavor, it's a light flavor naturally. Fig Newtons are one of my favorites just not sure about it in a vape, might have to give your recipe a try.

Oh, wow, thanks for the great tips! I can see I definitely need to stock some more supplies. Are citric and malic acids something I can pick up at the drugstore by any chance? The fig I got is fresh fig, so it taste different from the dried fig newtons, but it is still a very light flavor. I'm thinking I need some other flavor in there to sort of set it off (maybe vanilla?). I'm still very much learning the basics, but this seems like so much fun!

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
I have citric acid that was bought at the grocery store, it is a powder/crystal that I just put in PG. Not sure where you would get the Malic, but I also have Lorann Tart & Sour (bought at Hobby Lobby) that is both Citric & Malic together in liquid form.

TPA's sour is 20% malic acid in pg I believe...
You can buy citric acid in the canning section of stores, but you can also use concentrated lemon juice.

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
Awesome, guys! I have a Hobby Lobby less than 5 miles from here and I know Wal Mart has a big canning section. So would that be like Fruit Fresh (the stuff to keep your fruit from turning brown)? Sounds like the malic acid, especially, will save me some of the hypnotic mist I'm using (mostly sweet).

Not fruit fresh (it contains citric acid and lots of other stuff you wouldn't want to use) but it should be in the same area. It's simply called citric acid, and it's powdered.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
BnB is on top of it, not the fruit fresh stuff. Let me look I think my Citric Acid is also Lorann's, yes it is. It is in a 3.4oz spice type plastic bottle, white with black top. The Tart & Sour at Hobby Lobby is in the baking section. They also carry a few Lorann 1 dram flavors that we use, just check the sticky up top for the color coded Lorann's list. Some are ok to use and some have ingrediants that are judgement calls. Good luck and take notes.

frequentj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2010
Louisville, KY
I have tested FA Fresh Fig and found it works best at 2% (using a glass dropper @ 25 drops equals a ml). at 4% and above the flavor started to disappear (using Hoosier's flavor chart). Hope that helps.

Oooo, thanks so much! It is starting to taste a little better now that it's steeped, but sounds like I way overdid it on the flavoring. I think I put almost 10% in there! Nice to know such a little goes a long way, though. I really like the flavor and it seems like it would be really versatile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread