Just tried subohming with guardian tank (Vapresso target mini)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
Subohming : What am I doing wrong??

So, I bought 2 target mini kits that came with the guardian tank.

The tank has 0.5 ohm coils. I bought an extra pack of coils.

I tried vaping some ejuice. I primed the coil for 10 minutes. I inhaled a few times without turning on the mod. I then tried it out. The first puff tasted good. The second puff, not so good. Burnt tasting. Turned down from 30 watts to 20 watts. Same thing. Kept testing. Waiting. Same thing. Threw out coil, cleaned tank, tried again.

The same thing happened. First puff, amazing yay whoo hooo. Second puff, yuk, burnt taste. Cleaned out the tank. Tried another coil. First puff, amazing ! Second puff.. tastes like warm air. Taste depleted. What the heck.

Is it these coils/tank or is it my ejuice? I've been trying 70/30 vg/pg flavors, I tried multiple flavors and I am so confused and very annoyed. These coils are like 3 dollars a piece.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
1) Prime the center of the coil and any juice inlet port throroughly, if you over flood it don't worry.
2) Fill tank, install coil, close tank up, let sit for about 10 minutes
3) Close up airflow, pull on it a couple times, then while still pulling quickly open the air flow, should get some bubbles
4) Set the mod to about 15watts, take a couple test hits, remember this type of tank is designed direct to lung so pull direct to your lungs as rapid as you dare.
5) About 10 minutes later of continuous use, up your watts about 5 to 10 watts, vape at that for about 10 minutes, then up your watts another 5 to 10 watts, we are gradually breaking in the wicking and wick saturation like warming up a car engine we are allowing the liquid cooling to break in gently to operating temperature. If you start to noticing a harsh hit with little flavor or almost a dry hit, back it down about 5 to 10 watts, that should be the sweet spot, making sure to do a vacuum pull like in step 3 at least once. After about half a day you can probably try going up higher again, but no guarantee.

(alternate coil priming method, open bottle of juice, put a piece of wire through the bottom air inlet of the coil head, then hang it inside the bottle of juice fully and let it soak about 20minutes before install)
hth.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
IMFire3605 i tried your method and its still not working =( Im getting ejuice in my mouth and still that crappy burnt taste if i go past 15 watts.. 15 watts is totally not satisfying either .. it produces hardly any vapor or taste

o_O???

Hmmm, so you have vaped on other devices and this is your first entry into sub-ohm? Are using the same nicotine level you used with your basic starter device? If so, you will have to step your nic level for those guardian tanks down by half what you used in your starter device at least. Sub-ohm you will vaporize twice the liquid at least than you did with the device you are used to, ie if you are on a 12nic normally you will need to step down to a 6nic at the most, 2x the heat, 2x the liquid vaporizing, 2x the nicotine exposure, this is if it is really punching you in the back of the throat, and if a 6nic is to harsh on the throat then a 3 or 4nic.

Next if you have the right nic level for sub-ohming, could be the PG/VG ratio you are using, to thick (high VG) liquid might not be wicking fast enough (generally seen at an 80VG or higher), to high a PG ratio (high PG) at about a 40pg/60vg smooths out a bit, but ideal sub-ohm tank pg/vg is between 40pg/60vg to 20pg/80vg, a 50/50 or higher PG will always be harsh also.

Check your coils with a flashlight, look down the center, if you see black wicking and it is not saturated means the coil isn't wicking fast enough, no blackening of the wicking and it looks very saturated, then it is the PG ratio or nic level.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
i dont use nicotine in my eliquids, i quit smoking 6 years ago on the icky patch somehow (thank goodness tho !)

I vape because i enjoy tasting flavors and honestly it reminds me so much of smoking.

That being said, do you need nicotine in your ejuice to subohm?

using 70/30 eliquids in the tank maybe i need to go higher on vg or something. Im just going to try the tanks again tomorrow , if they dont work after being sitting for 10 hours or so I will probably not try again for another week and stick to using my nautalis mini. it just saddens me that the first puff tasted so beautiful and then the rest is like air fluff bounce sheets or burny tastes .. ugh -.-

Maybe this tank just sucks as well, has anyone tried the guardian tank ? :/

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
So I should put some drops of ejuice inside the coil ? lol . Wow . I never knew subohming was so time consuming.

It isn't really. It's overly-complicated new-tech factory coils that are time consuming.
That's why I haven't moved to ceramic and left TC somewhere 100 miles back down the highway.

In Vaping, there is the front of the queue ($ and risk) and back somewhere waiting for the sales.
Even if the sales never come, at least the products have had a chance to prove themselves.

We have been beta testers for nearly 10 years (not me, obviously, as I don't go back to the dinosaurs) and not everything has worked. Most things do work these days (good!) but some are way more fraught with failure or a learning curve.

I mean, take the Joyetech Cubis tank. Two of those coils spit and one has no taste at all. The only one that vaguely does a good job, they put in the Joyetech AIO.
...and this is Joyetech... for goodness sake. :oops:

Reactions: daviedog

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
The most basic and easy to use of the commonly known SubOhm tanks are ones like the Kanger SubTank and the TopTank - there are many premade head options for them, and they also have an easy-to-use RBA section for building your own coils.

If you're prepared to build your own coils/wicks exclusively, there are many great tanks out there for Supra/Sub Ohm vaping, with both MTL and DTL options.

Oh - and you most certainly don't need nicotine to SubOhm or to do any kind of vaping.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
djsvapour - Please tell me what tanks you use that are easy to use that you can sub ohm with ? :)

I guess if we are talking plug and play + reliability then my outdated Subohm tanks are probably off the pace now. :(
For higher power, I think the original Uwell crown takes some beating. Not cheap.
People rate the Aspire Cleito too. (less powerful too)
Innokin do a wide range of 'iSub' tanks which always seem to vape nicely but i.d.k. what the final reckoning on these is.

Axerated

Sep 5, 2016
Subohming : What am I doing wrong??

So, I bought 2 target mini kits that came with the guardian tank.

The tank has 0.5 ohm coils. I bought an extra pack of coils.

I tried vaping some ejuice. I primed the coil for 10 minutes. I inhaled a few times without turning on the mod. I then tried it out. The first puff tasted good. The second puff, not so good. Burnt tasting. Turned down from 30 watts to 20 watts. Same thing. Kept testing. Waiting. Same thing. Threw out coil, cleaned tank, tried again.

The same thing happened. First puff, amazing yay whoo hooo. Second puff, yuk, burnt taste. Cleaned out the tank. Tried another coil. First puff, amazing ! Second puff.. tastes like warm air. Taste depleted. What the heck.

Is it these coils/tank or is it my ejuice? I've been trying 70/30 vg/pg flavors, I tried multiple flavors and I am so confused and very annoyed. These coils are like 3 dollars a piece.
Ah so I'm not the only one with this issue then...
I purchased my target mini 3 weeks ago, it worked fine for about an hour and then started tasting like burnt meal, regardless of coil changes and gradual priming.
The only juice I have found to maintain its flavour any longer was an 80vg liLiquid State juice called Coney Cake, but thinking the coil had started working I tried another juice at 70vg and it was back to the burnt taste drawing board.
When I went back to the store they just sold me another coil, not very helpful...
I'm not seeing this issue pop up anywhere else yet and all reviews seem to be positive, it's pretty frustrating!
If anybody has any other advice for us it'd be much appreciated!
Many thanks

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
What do you mean by 'gradual priming' - have you been properly priming your wicks by dropping juice into all the holes on the coil head until it's saturated and only then putting the tank on and filling it?

Then you should vape at a lower wattage, and then gradually work up until you've reached where you like to vape at - is *that* what you meant by 'gradual priming'?

Reactions: Axerated

Axerated

Sep 5, 2016
What do you mean by 'gradual priming' - have you been properly priming your wicks by dropping juice into all the holes on the coil head until it's saturated and only then putting the tank on and filling it?

Then you should vape at a lower wattage, and then gradually work up until you've reached where you like to vape at - is *that* what you meant by 'gradual priming'?
Thanks for the reply.
Yep that's exactly what I've been doing, I'm well versed in that with the ceramic coils having used the full sized Target Vaporesso for roughly 5 months now.
It seems funny that they try to market their ccell coils as not requiring priming and yet I've found they require more prep than any of my prior RDA builds! Ha
I only bought this one due to being so impressed with the original Target, yet the Guardian tank has been nothing but disappointing

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
Thanks for the reply.
Yep that's exactly what I've been doing, I'm well versed in that with the ceramic coils having used the full sized Target Vaporesso for roughly 5 months now.
It seems funny that they try to market their ccell coils as not requiring priming and yet I've found they require more prep than any of my prior RDA builds! Ha
I only bought this one due to being so impressed with the original Target, yet the Guardian tank has been nothing but disappointing
Hunh - that's weird then - I haven't had any experience myself with ceramic coils, so can't really speak to them directly, but I would ask - what kind of wattages are you running on what resistance coils?

You know that the 'recommended ratings' that the manufacturers print on their coil heads are pretty much BS, don't you? You should always start at, say, half the power of the lower end of the 'recommended' wattage and then gradually work up.

It could be the matter of ceramics just work better at lower wattages, especially with certain juices.

What are the coil metals used with these ceramic heads, I wonder? It might be worth running them in Temperature Control mode to see if that helps with the burnt taste. (*I don't know if this is possible with these heads.*)

Axerated

Sep 5, 2016
Hunh - that's weird then - I haven't had any experience myself with ceramic coils, so can't really speak to them directly, but I would ask - what kind of wattages are you running on what resistance coils?

You know that the 'recommended ratings' that the manufacturers print on their coil heads are pretty much BS, don't you? You should always start at, say, half the power of the lower end of the 'recommended' wattage and then gradually work up.

It could be the matter of ceramics just work better at lower wattages, especially with certain juices.

What are the coil metals used with these ceramic heads, I wonder? It might be worth running them in Temperature Control mode to see if that helps with the burnt taste. (*I don't know if this is possible with these heads.*)
I believe the dtl coils for use with this tank (the Guardian) are 0.5ohms and are supposed to function between 20 and 40 watts, pretty sure they're stainless steel.
With my original Target which used the 0.9 Kanthal ccell coils I would start them as low as 12 and gradually dry burn them a bit to get rid of the chemical burn taste that they would often start with, then use in the tank gradually working up at 0.5 watts at a time before settling around 28-30 and they would end up being amazing. I've tried both doing and not doing this with the Guardian ccell coils and they just don't seem to have a sweet spot.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US

Ceramic coils explains it better then, I remember back with my older Genesis tanks, if you used a ceramic rod as the wick, you have to soak that wick in the juice you were going to use almost a full day after torching it white hot, takes a while for that juice to soak into the pores of the ceramic.

Reactions: Continuity
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread