The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Juul brand accounts for 50% of the e-cig market?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by N rustica, Feb 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. N rustica

N rustica Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 24, 2012
    When they say e-cig market, i'm assuming that is just amongst the brands of the auto-pen cig-alike devices. Vaping is multi billion altogether with manufacturing and retail

I just got a Juul device with some 50mg nicotine flavor pods and have begun reading up on it, the brand has gotten so big that certain politicians are calling it out in public by saying it has become a nuisance in middle and high schools and we need draconian laws to regulate it.

The main reason I invested in it is because i was no longer able to find the cync pods that i began using a couple of years ago. The juul seems like a solid little piece of gear, I'm hoping it's as 100% dependable as my pax era device which also has a one year warranty.

I used to refill some of the pods on my old cync but not sure if i will do the same on the juul, the preloaded pod flavors are fine in my book, the nic hit is fresh and clean every time i load a new pod and start chiefing on it, yes i know about nic salts and absorbability.

As far as disposable pod vaping causing a larger carbon foot print on the environment and being wasteful and expensive, check the numbers. I find it doesn't cost that much more and requires hauling around less lithium and less hassle.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    It was bought out by one of the big tobacco companies recently. I forget which one.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Blu. Fontem Ventures, which is part of Imperial Tobacco.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I'd probably use a JUUL more if they were cheaper.
    Don't want to get back into $4-5 per day habit.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. ScottP

ScottP Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    ...but that is exactly what THEY want you to do. If the JUUL costs that much now just wait until all the taxes get added to it later.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. N rustica

N rustica Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 24, 2012
    thanks. those are logical reasons, especially not to make it my primary vape device. $4-5 a day is the number i was looking for if someone only used a juul and went through a pod every day

• Like Like x 2
  7. 440BB

440BB Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    I'm glad pods are helping some of us succeed while keeping things simple. I'm also glad I've gotten to mixing and drop in heads that cost my wife and I about $4-5/week. I didn't start vaping to save money but it's been a nice bonus. My only concern is that restrictions will come down making pods and or closed systems the only option, something I've been expecting for some time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. LyLyV

LyLyV Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 21, 2018
    Earth (most days)
    If it comes down to that, and if there becomes zero way to acquire parts, and ingredients for liquid, I'll either A. Move to a place that is more vape-friendly, or B. Just quit. I won't do the pod thing, especially if it's something that's being controlled by the government. I hope it doesn't come to that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ScottP

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    With mixing and building my own single wire coils in RTAs, I think my cost is probably closer to $3-$4 per month. That is with cost averaging out the initial purchase of the bulk wire and cotton. I was about where you are back when I bought pre-made coil heads.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. listopencil

listopencil Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 28, 2017
    In Partibus Infidelium
    The only real problem is getting nicotine. You can wrap your own coils, you can cut your own wicks, rechargeable batteries aren't going away, and devices can be made to vape on.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    That's why some of us have stashed a lifetime of nic base in our freezers. :)

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  12. listopencil

listopencil Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 28, 2017
    In Partibus Infidelium
    Yup. That's a great quote from The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress in your sig by the way. One of my favorite quotes, from one of my favorite books, by my favorite author. I've read everything he ever published.

• Like Like x 2
  13. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I've got to think that number is only among cigalikes as well, I don't even know how Chinese Imports would even be counted.

I would vape a Juul if that was the only thing I could get (cigalikes) but luckily I have prepared for that not to happen, by getting backup gear, RTAs and DIY supplies (enough of them). I do not care to have my selection and choice in vaping removed. It cost more in the beginning but as far as I'm concerned, it's an investment in my future.

I can't even imagine what the Juul will cost once sin taxes are levied. I'd say given it's "hot, teenage status" (the mod, not the teenagers) it may be one of the first devices scolded heavily and levied a tax upon by the FDA and the states... Guess we will see, although my guess is as far as Federal taxes, all US devices sold or purchased here will have a sin tax at some point. Sigh. I hope I am wrong....

Anna

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ScottP

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I highly doubt they will single out one or even a few devices. They tend to use large blankets to cover everything all at once.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    This.

Guess how much I've spend on consumables in the past year?

$0.00

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. RainSong

RainSong An adult who likes flavors. Verified Member ECF Veteran

I have a lifetime of nicotine in my freezer and all the other stuff isn’t going away. And with nicotine enthusiasts not being the only market using vaporizer technology I’m pretty confident it’s not going anywhere. The cost the government adds is probably going to become an issue but I know I’m set.

One of my all time favorite authors also. The stone on my wedding set is a ruby in reference to a part from Time Enough for Love.

• Like Like x 3
  17. HauntedMyst

HauntedMyst Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 18, 2013
    Chicago

I was gonna guess $0. I still want my prize.

• Funny Funny x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.