JUUL to stop selling flavors in stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Hi Cowboy, good to see you back. I read on Bloomberg.com, he was a director of Kure Corp;

"President Donald Trump’s pick to head the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Scott Gottlieb, will be in charge of implementing new rules governing the e-cigarette industry after serving for more than a year on the board of a company that sells vaping products.

From March 2015 to May 2016, Gottlieb was a director of Kure Corp., a Charlotte, North Carolina-based firm that distributes e-juices and vaping pens in coffeehouse-style lounges known as vaporiums. He had a financial interest in the company as of March, according to financial and ethics disclosures, and promised to sell his stake if confirmed."

Not that this supports any conspiracy theory I might have been formulating ;).
Interesting...hadn't heard that. And now Kure is owned by a Canadian company that manufactures cannabis products.
The thot plickens.

edit: Didn't know you can't use the word cannabi$ here regardless of frame of reference.

Last edited:

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Interesting...hadn't heard that. And now Kure is owned by a Canadian company that manufactures ........ products.
    The thot plickens.

edit: Didn't know you can't use the word cannabi$ here regardless of frame of reference.
    Speaking of which, why isn't anyone calling out ecf sister website, metavaper.com, for having a CBD category on their website?

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    I think there's one issue to clarify. To the best of my knowledge juul voluntarily decided to eliminate convenience store sales of flavored pods and did not do this under order from the FDA. It was likely a preemptive decision to avoid a hard and fast rule from the FDA, and I imagine they figured better to change their sales model before getting their knuckles wrapped.

Besides, if they chsnge to a direct to consumer online model for flavored pods, they eliminate the cut to the retailer and they get all the revenue on the pods which may well make up for any decrease in revenue from pulling out of stores. They already have the brand recognition and I'm sure they'll sell plenty of pods even if it's an online model only.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Well, just got this news alert. No flavor ban after all. Just a tightening up on in store sales, and going after menthol cigarettes instead.
    F.D.A. Will Still Allow Sales of Flavored E-Cigarettes, but Will Seek a Menthol Cigarette Ban

"Still, the plan to sequester flavored e-cigarettes in stores, rather than ban selling them, was surprising to many people since details of a stronger proposal leaked out widely from the agency over the past week. Members of Congress sent out news releases, praising the agency for a ban that did not materialize. Federal law already prohibits the sale of cigarettes and e-cigarettes to anyone under 18.

But lawyers said the agency did not have the legal authority to impose such a ban without going through a long, complicated process that would have inevitably ended up in protracted court battles."

Wow... Wax On/Wax Off.

Good News for the e-Cigarette Market though.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Here is the FDA's November 15th Press Release.

Statement from FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, M.D., on proposed new steps to protect youth by preventing access to flavored tobacco products and banning menthol in cigarettes

"I saw the opportunity to advance new technologies like electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) as an alternative to cigarettes for adults who still seek access to satisfying levels of nicotine, without all the deadly effects of combustion.

I believed then – and I continue to believe – that we must recognize the potential for innovative, less harmful products that can efficiently deliver satisfying levels of nicotine to adults who want them.

But as I said at that time, as I said at my confirmation hearing, as I said in my first remarks to the professional staff of the FDA three days after being confirmed as the FDA’s Commissioner in May of 2017, and as I’ve said dozens of times in the months that followed: any policy accommodation to advance the innovations that could present an alternative to smoking – particularly as it relates to e-cigarettes – cannot, and will not, come at the expense of addicting a generation of children to nicotine through these same delivery vehicles. This simply will not happen. I will take whatever steps I must to prevent this."

Stick to the 1st part Scott.

Because you have Very Limited powers to affect the 2nd part. And you Know it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread