K101 Malfunction/Looking for Replacement Parts/Can you fry a Kick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amurphy

Jul 26, 2014
Austin, TX, USA
i recently ran into a problem with my girlfriend's k101. i will try to summarize my question below, with more details following.

where can i find a replacement part for the top cap/510 connection for the k101? and if i put an evolv kick in a mod, and it shorts, will it fry the kick?

i was trying to test the voltage of her battery (in mod) with my omnitester. i screwed it on, nothing out of the ordinary. i switched it to voltage, pressed the fire button, and it gave my a blank readout. i fired it twice more, still nothing. then the button became extremely hot, so hot that i had to quickly get an oven mitt to take the mod apart, fearing that the batty was venting. the battery was also extremely hot. i let everything sit outside for about 20 minutes, let it cool down. then i put my battery in her mod, and the same thing happened, except that the fire button jammed so that it continued firing. so i figure it's not the batteries, it's the mod. i read a thread that said it was a shorting 510 connection. so i searched for replacement parts, and i couldn't find any. i recommended to her that if we fixed it, that she should put a kick in her device. she asked if the same thing happened with the k101, with the shorting problem, would it ruin the kick. so i'm naturally a little weary about buying a kick for her if it will fry within the next month.

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
thanks for the link! it mentions a protection chip. what is that?

it's a safety device you put between the Neg side of your battery and the switch contact, it' works like a fuse; if something goes wrong it will trip and break contact......you don't need one with a Kick, as a Kick also has this feature.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
thanks for the link! it mentions a protection chip. what is that?
Vapesafe Fuse.jpg fuse2.jpg

These are safety fuses that are put on the bottom of a battery (negative end) to prevent a short circuit from ruining a battery. There are two types:

• A one-time fuse. Once it is tripped it will need to be replaced with a new fuse.

• A multiple-use fuse (actually more like a circuit breaker). Once it trips during a short, it will re-set itself. However, if you don't fix whatever caused the original short, it will trip again. The fuse does have a limited number of times that it can be tripped.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Kick2.jpg Silver Bullet and Kick.jpg

The Kick is a drop-in module or circuit board which will regulate the battery voltage like a VV/VW mod does for a mechanical mod. It also has some protection circuitry built-in which will prevent short circuits. It does NOT have reverse battery protection; putting a battery in upside down will fry and ruin the circuit board.

The Kick goes on the positive end of the battery (top end). Using a Kick may require dropping down one size in battery as it does take up some room in the battery tube. For example, if your mod normally uses an 18650 battery, you'll have to drop down to an 18490/18500 battery. The Kick also requires the use of a high-drain, IMR battery.

Last edited:

amurphy

Jul 26, 2014
Austin, TX, USA
An answer for above.

I really like the form of my Nemesis. A kick allows me use it as a mech or a regulated device if I choose.

oh i see :) so it's just an aesthetics thing. i totally understand that. i love the way my mod feels in my hand, and the way is works, but sometimes i would like to know exactly what i'm vaping at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread