Kanger EVOD spare and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Podunk

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Podunk, USA
So I've been using a 650 & 1100 mah Kanger EVOD for the past 4 months, successfully quit with these. Also reducing my nic level every 4 weeks (not entirely by choice, this is a work issue). These workhorses are really my adult pacifiers, constantly in use-I'm allowed to vape at work, and do so freely. Sometimes I'm hitting it so regularly it gets hot at the connection point. I assume this is not a good thing, so what's my options, well besides the obvious putting it down. I'm wondering if a different battery or atomizer would perform better under these chain vaping conditions? Also, I need a third battery. I won't charge mine while I sleep, and more than once I've woken up to 2 dead soldiers and resorted to a cigalike until CPR/battery recharge occurs. I also really don't want to change from the single coil EVODs unless there's a good reason to do so. Advice?

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
If you are happy with the single coils stay with them. The dual coils do not last as long and have some wicking issues.
clean you connection points with some alcohol on a qtip. the hot connection point may be a result of the bottom coil and not a connection issue.
Your batteries should be fine. Just get another one or two.

Reactions: OcalaFlGuy

Podunk

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Podunk, USA
Thanks Robert. I do wipe the connection end with an alcohol qtip, so I'm good there. I think the heat is from me hitting it too frequently or too long. Not sure what the solution is for that. As low tech as my setup is, I'm actually pretty happy with it. But I do think I need another battery, so I'm wondering if vv or VW would help?

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
VV should be fine for you especially since you are using one tank system. Find the sweet spot and leave the voltage there.

From all I read and view on youtube vids the dual coil clearomizers are a bit too much trouble to suit me. I am going to go with the single coil ones. Cheaper and easier to rebuild. a larger atomizer could work better under the heavy vaping. Or if you like your current clearo just take a spare and swap em out when one gets hot.
I am assuming that the heat is in the skirt at the bottom of the clearomizer and not really the top of the battery. That base is a heat sink for the coil and will get warm. some of the dripping RDA's get pretty hot as well.

but why listen to me I am satisfied with running under 10 watts and getting adequate vapor and flavor. I just have no real interest in the high wattage stuff.
Maybe the Istick by eleaf interests me a bit. I see it for around $35 for the 30 watt one and you can use your tanks with it at a lower setting if you desire. I may go to one of those later this year, but in no hurry.

Happy vaping and do what suits you not what suits others.

Reactions: OcalaFlGuy

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Yeah, even the lowest settings on an iStick will feel like your evod is melting. Been there. I've gotten great performance out of my mvp2 and my vision spinners. I also switched from the evods to the metal and glass protank 2's. They use the same coil so are virtually identical to the evods except they hold more juice, are built to last longer and for some reason don't get as hot as the evods do. You can get a mini protank2 that also takes the same coil for like 10 dollars online and is literally a glass evod.

Podunk

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Podunk, USA
Thanks for the input Robert and Maiar. I do prefer to keep it simple, so these 2 rotate with 5 clearos work for me. I doubt I'd adjust volts or watts much even if I could since I don't even bother switching out to different ohm coils-generally stick to 1.8. I definitely don't need more vapor, especially at work. Guess I'll look for another basic ego style to rotate in.

FOG clouds

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2015
Space Coast, Florida
there is another battery by kanger that I have used.. it's called the k-pow I think. Fires up to 15 watts, so plenty of power. The battery life is just okay though. I switched over to the kanger k-box.. Don't be intimidated by the word box, It's a very small entry level box and is priced right. With that you can keep a couple 18650 batteries charged and on hand so that in the event you run out, just pop another pre-charged battery in. I have found the battery life to be exceptional. Like someone said above, the iStick is also a great device, although the battery is built in on that one. Matter of personal preference I suppose. Also, when I switched to the k-box, I got a subtank mini to go with it. The quality of vape is so much better than that of any protank/aerotank style atomizer I've ever used. You can get pre-made 1.2 or .5 ohm pre-built coils and they last MUCH longer than you'd expect. The Subtank mini uses either pre-built coils or the option to rebuild your own (huge money saver). The subtank nano is smaller but can only accommodate pre-built coils. Some youtube and forum research will adequately prepare you for this step. It did me. The setup I have just mentioned is chain vaping heaven. It will simply not get hot on you! Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but food for thought at the very least.

smkfree

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2014
oak lawn il
I was using the 1100mah batteries and chain vaping also. Kanger Evod, T3s, and E-smart tanks. Going thru 3-4 batteries a day. Just got the Istick 50w and using the same tanks it will last 1.5-2 days without charging. It is 4400mah and charges in 5 hrs. You can adjust the volts and watts for the best vapor, flavor, and battery life. I have had no problem with tanks getting hot while chain vaping. I might try sub ohm later but happy right now with this set up.

Podunk

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Podunk, USA
I was using the 1100mah batteries and chain vaping also. Kanger Evod, T3s, and E-smart tanks. Going thru 3-4 batteries a day. Just got the Istick 50w and using the same tanks it will last 1.5-2 days without charging. It is 4400mah and charges in 5 hrs. You can adjust the volts and watts for the best vapor, flavor, and battery life. I have had no problem with tanks getting hot while chain vaping. I might try sub ohm later but happy right now with this set up.

I know it's been a week, but wanted to thank everyone for the help. I may end up with Buyers Remorse, but I ordered an Istick 50 mainly for battery life, somewhat smaller size over other options near 4400 mah, and relatively lighter weight. It's other features are overkill me- I'll never see 50W I'm sure. While my current setup is great for short term on the go usage. It's not working as a chain vape setup- For Me, ...At this moment. Once I get over this nic reduction I'm forced to do, I can see me picking these back up for "normal" use. Not interested really in sub ohm, cloud chasing, coil rebuilding. just need to eliminate all tobacco and nicotine products ASAP for the job. So Smkfree or anyone else, advice on settings for this beast? It'll be running my EVOD tanks with 1.8 or 2.2 ohm coils for now-that's all I've got.

smkfree

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2014
oak lawn il
I have been using my istick 50 for about 1 week now with no problems at all. When you put a tank on it, it will automatically see the ohm"s and set voltage and watts needed for you. Then you can go from there, setting the volts or watts to your taste. It takes all the guess work out. The thing I like best is the battery life and the constant power all the time for a good vape.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
If you are happy with the single coils stay with them. The dual coils do not last as long and have some wicking issues.
clean you connection points with some alcohol on a qtip. the hot connection point may be a result of the bottom coil and not a connection issue.
Your batteries should be fine. Just get another one or two.

Thanks for the input Robert and Maiar. I do prefer to keep it simple, so these 2 rotate with 5 clearos work for me. I doubt I'd adjust volts or watts much even if I could since I don't even bother switching out to different ohm coils-generally stick to 1.8. I definitely don't need more vapor, especially at work. Guess I'll look for another basic ego style to rotate in.

I found some ijoy 650 ma egos at MFS for 6.75 ea with clicker type VV 3.3 - 4.2 volts in 4 steps that work well with my Evods. I see you got an istick. Good choice i think. Have been thinking about one myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foggy Road

fairweasel2323

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Marion, OH
Im loving the EVOD Twist VV Batt with the Mini Pro Tank 2 tanks still got one EVOD BCC also running 2.2 and some 2.5ohm heads all 2.5s at the moment. But I would stick to the single coils IMO

I dont use the 1.8ohms cause my spare batterys just 650mah EVOD thats a 3.7v and the 2.2s and 2.5s do fine on it

Last edited:

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Good thread!

If you look inside the 1.8 and 2.2's, the 2.2 is just one more wrap of wire in the coil, so there's a bit more to work with actually, and it's closer to the battery range. Turns out the 2.5's are same as 2.2 but thinner, kind of like a generic coil, unfortunately. I've started taking mine out of the box and immediately rewicking with cotton, vaping NETs for 3 weeks until have to be thrown away, using 2 EVODs, 1 mPT2, RDA (1.2 ohms) some.

Podunk

ECF Veteran
    Dec 7, 2014
    Podunk, USA
    Just be aware that assuming that you have the standard evod battery and a 1.8 ohm coil, you are vaping at 7.6 watts. Some of the newer devices can really cook an evod tank. Just start low and work up to the point that it is good for you.

Thanks Grimwald that's what I was worried about. I've been using the I stick 50 with the EVODs and it's surprising how much more flavorful some juices are. I started very low since I didn't want to fry anything. Only had 1 issue when I carried the stick inside I must have hit the up button. Hit it without looking, was like getting punched in the face...I had knocked it up to 30w. 8-oLet's just say that won't happen again! I keep it low unless I end up with a different tank sometime. No hurry, I just wanted a reprieve from constantly charging batteries. I do like being able to tweak in the settings though, which I didn't expect. Certainly makes a difference.

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    I know it's been a week, but wanted to thank everyone for the help. I may end up with Buyers Remorse, but I ordered an Istick 50 mainly for battery life, somewhat smaller size over other options near 4400 mah, and relatively lighter weight. It's other features are overkill me- I'll never see 50W I'm sure. While my current setup is great for short term on the go usage. It's not working as a chain vape setup- For Me, ...At this moment. Once I get over this nic reduction I'm forced to do, I can see me picking these back up for "normal" use. Not interested really in sub ohm, cloud chasing, coil rebuilding. just need to eliminate all tobacco and nicotine products ASAP for the job. So Smkfree or anyone else, advice on settings for this beast? It'll be running my EVOD tanks with 1.8 or 2.2 ohm coils for now-that's all I've got.

You'd be happy with your istick50; you've got lots of battery life, and lots of overhead.
    As a rule of thumb, whatever power you want to vape at, you'd want a mod of twice the power, so a 50 watt mod makes for good comfortable 25 watt vape

with you evod tank coils, you'd be vaping in the 5 to 10 watt region.

If you pick up an rda, you can try out some 28 gauge kanthal.
    If you want to get off the cigs, an rda could help replace smoking because it's like there is a start and an end like there is with a cigarette.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread