Kanger Iken - Can you help me identify battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CountingCrows

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2016
I love this mod and its tank. However, they discontinued it.

I had one unused piece that was working. It seems it is dead. I ordered 3 new pieces, and they all came dead as well.

This is the battery. Where do I find the same battery?

Many thanks!

RfO3CcK.jpg

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi,
That battery is not considered replaceable.
From the label: it is a 18550 (18mm in Dia, 55mm in length, and round format) Lithium Polymer "battery" consisting of (3) 1700mAh cells (3s) bundled together. It is labeled at 11.1V but is often refereed to as being 12V.

If you have a RC hobby store close, you may want to stop by and show them what you are trying to replace/revive.

Hope that helps.
I

Last edited:

CountingCrows

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2016
Hi,
That battery is not considered replaceable.
From the label: it is a 18550 (18mm in Dia, 55mm in length, and round format) Lithium Polymer "battery" consisting of 3 cells (3s) bundled together. It is labeled at 11.1V but is often refereed to as being 12V.

If you have a RC hobby store close, you may want to stop by and show them what you are trying to replace/revive.

Hope that helps.
I

Many thanks Izan.

I am not understanding why the battery should be irreplaceable. You desolder it, put in a new one and solder the new one.

Do you have any idea who is selling this battery? With corona and everything, I must do this myself.

Reactions: stols001

CountingCrows

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2016
The device has a built in charging circuit designed to recharge Lithium Polymer cells.

Normally I would just throw them all away. But I love this mod, and I am not finding someone to sell me a brand new good one. I am not into unsafe practices, especially with a utility so close to my face or other organs.

But it is a battery. Why should it not be possbile to replace it with a brand new exact same one? I don't think kanger is manufacturing batteries, somebody else should be selling them.

May I ask how you understood it is "Lithium Polymer"?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Many thanks Izan.

I am not understanding why the battery should be irreplaceable. You desolder it, put in a new one and solder the new one.

Do you have any idea who is selling this battery? With corona and everything, I must do this myself.

If it is soldered in place, it is generally considered permanently installed and/or non serviceable.
Obviously, if you have the time, skills and equipment, almost everything is serviceable.

You may find that that battery is available, but if you are not buying dozens of dozens, the unit cost is probably very high when factoring in the cost to transport hazardous materials.

I presume it to be Lipo based on the form factor and voltage rating.
In my experience, a li-ion battery of that size would consist of only (1 or 2) 3.7V cells. I am not positive it is Li-po, but fairly confidant.

Anecdotally; about a year ago, an ECF user wanted to replace the 380mAh Li-ion batteries in his "cig-a-like" units.
Having found the batteries in China, the user discovered that the price for the individual direct replacement cells plus shipping and importation fees, exceeded the cost of the original cig-a-like product by two or three times.

I understand your desire to keep using what you love and applaud your willingness to "get your hands dirty", but often what should be simple and cheap is neither.

Cheers
I

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Great info, many thanks again!

Yes I understand all the pitfalls you are mentioning. Cost is not an issue.

I used many mods last 6 or so years, stopped at Iken. Iken is by far the best for me.

Great battery life, top airflow non-leaking tank, fits perfectly in hand, easy to put around.

What is the resistance (Ω) of the coils are you using in the iKEN Tank?
Have you considered any dual 18650 devices to host the iKEN Tank?
Two Samsung 25R batteries would give you about the same 5000mAh battery life.
Perhaps something like the asMODus Minikin or the Squid industries Double Barrel might fit the bill.

Cheers
I

CountingCrows

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2016
Nothing is fitting the bill. I think it is the the 1cm between 65 and 55 batteries making the difference.

260g RX2/3 with 2 batteries
175g is Iken
250g is Minikin (I like that though)

The weight, shape and height of Iken is just right.

RX2/3 is very tall. Minikin is close to Iken though.

0.5 ohm SS coils from Kanger. It is not only the Tank, I like both a lot. I only use Protank 4 and Iken tanks. And only Iken mod.

In fact, I just pulled out the Wismec crap to measure the weight, I will just throw it away. That was a heavy, malfunctioning, bad mod.

In fact, while I am at it, I will throw away the Eleaf Invoke I just received. Door does not close properly.

Life is too short to deal with all these. Iken was right and worked flawlessly many years now.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Nothing is fitting the bill. I think it is the the 1cm between 65 and 55 batteries making the difference.

260g RX2/3 with 2 batteries
175g is Iken
250g is Minikin (I like that though)

The weight, shape and height of Iken is just right.

RX2/3 is very tall. Minikin is close to Iken though.

0.5 ohm SS coils from Kanger. It is not only the Tank, I like both a lot. I only use Protank 4 and Iken tanks. And only Iken mod.

In fact, I just pulled out the Wismec crap to measure the weight, I will just throw it away. That was a heavy, malfunctioning, bad mod.

In fact, while I am at it, I will throw away the Eleaf Invoke I just received. Door does not close properly.

Life is too short to deal with all these. Iken was right and worked flawlessly many years now.
The invoke, the RX and many others I am cautious to suggest.
The minikin is close to what you expect in form and quality, the DB is a bit odd, but very functional.
Using the .5Ω coil, I guess you get about two days of life from the Iken and are looking for something close.
Maybe the Aegis legend or X might work or a couple of the minis in rotation.
I share your frustration with discovering something that I love, only to find out it has been discontinued and is no longer supported.
IMO, internal battery devices are disposable and I factor that in when purchasing. YMMV

Best of luck
I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread