Kanger response to subtank insulator (going to PEEK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
Hey mates!

If you hadn't heard, a guy on youtube posted a video of the insulator on the subtanks rta module (not the coils) slowly being dissolved by his pluid eliquid:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...40420-so-have-aspire-kanger-dropped-ball.html

Long story short, the insulator was having issues with at least one caustic eliquid., and while pluid is known to dissolve o-rings and delrin drip tips, people were concerned about what might be going on with less-caustic, yet still pretty-caustic eliquids.

I contacted Kanger about it, and got this back this evening:

KangerTechUS said:
Thank you for letting us know. We apologize for the inconvenience the product has caused you. Some types of harsh eliquid can damage the insulator of the original piece, but we now have a new version that will be able to withstand these eliquids. Could you please provide us with your product’s ID number, authenticity number, and store information? KangerTech HQ in China has just developed the new insulators made of PEEK, so we hope to receive them by the end of this week or early next week. Please also confirm your full name and mailing address.

So, looks like in a bit the new tanks will come with a PEEK insulator, and you can get a replacement in the mail if you already picked one up. I'll admit I'm surprised they spent the money on PEEK, as delrin in $70+ RTAs isn't exactly rare.

*gives the horns*

Last edited:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
The sub tank problem doesn't involve all sub tanks, just what appears to be a certain production batch. The block insulators on the "problem" batch likely weren't made of silicone as silicone is impervious to any of the chemicals found in e-liquids, the supplier must have provided Kanger with something else by mistake. Most O-rings used in attys are silicone due to their chemical resistance and suitability for use in food service applications. PTFE, Polyimide and PEEK are good choices for block insulators as they are di-electric, chemical resistant and tolerate high temperatures. Most attys and modding kits that claim to be sub-ohm capable use PEEK as it is easier (less expensive), to manufacture with. I'm still waiting for ceramic insulator kits that are coated with Polyimide or PTFE on the stem section to achieve a liquid tight seal. :)

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
The block insulators on the "problem" batch likely weren't made of silicone as silicone is impervious to any of the chemicals found in e-liquids, the supplier must have provided Kanger with something else by mistake.

Good catch on the silicone; edited, as that muddies the waters. My understanding was that silicone isn't what was spec'd to be used, and that it wasn't a problem batch -- they went a cheaper route and pluid claimed another victim. If I'm off on that and you can point me to something, please do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread