Kanger Subtank Mini clear insulator melted to my RBA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC87

Feb 4, 2015
I have posted this a few other places in the forums, but I felt it deserved its own thread because I feel people should be warned about this and not have to dig through 20+ pages to find it

WARNING: DO NOT USE YOUR rba IF THEY COME WITH THE WHITE OR CLEAR INSULATORS! Only the latest brown ones are safe as of now. I wish I would have known this before I used mine which came with the clear ones.

I received my Subtank Mini on Jan 31, 2015 from myvaporstore and had been using it soley with the RBA head and the premade coil that came inside the RBA. My battery is an Istick 30watt, and I vape primarily at 25-30 watts. Unfortunately I hadn't seen any of the forum posts at the time about the clear insulators also being bad, and had only saw Phil Busardo's video about the original white insulators and how the clear insulators fixed the problem. My Subtank came with a clear insulator (which at the time I thought were the fixed ones), and I am sure you can tell where this is going....

The insulators melted.

My first tankfull of e-liquid on the Mini seemed fine and I was very happy, but upon refilling, I started to notice a very strange and disgusting taste. I thought at first perhaps it was my e-liquid, so I cleaned my tank thoroughly with distilled water, allowed it to dry completely, and refilled with a new e-liquid. The nasty taste persisted, and it was then that I decided to disassemble the RBA and saw that the clear insulator had melted in half and was coming apart, while the other half was fused to the metal base and into the airflow portion of the RBA.

I immediately cleaned the tank again with distilled water, let dry completely, switched to the OCC .5 ohm head and put new e-liquid in, but I could still strongly taste and smell the remnants of the burned insulator within the tank itself, as could my girlfriend and everyone who tried the tank afterwards. I thought maybe it was just my taste buds since I has cleaned out the tank and put in a new coil, so I brought the tank to my local shop and had a few friends try it out. These people were not present when the insulator melted and had no idea of the original issue until after they tasted it, but were still commenting that my vapor tasted and smelled of burnt chemicals despite the wick being fully saturated and primed correctly as I have always done.

No matter what I do, the tank now tastes terrible with whatever e-liquid or coil I put in it!

This is upsetting, because before this happened, the tank was performing perfectly and tasted amazing. I was completely satisfied with my purchase.

Ive contacted Kanger and myvaporstore but have yet to hear back from any of them. I'm hoping they make things right because I love Kanger's products and reccomend them to all my friends.

I'm having to resort to using my Aspire Atlantis (which I haven't used since I got my subtank mini and my girlfriend's subtank nano) while I wait for this issue to be resolved. Thankfully I rewicked the stock Atlantis coil with some japanese cotton so it doesnt mute the flavor as much as the silica wick did, but its still not as vibrant as the subtank's flavor was.

On a side note, my girlfriend's subtank nano has been performing perfectly and tastes great. I also wanted to say, other than the insulator being bad and messing up my tank, the tank performed great before this issue arose. Its by far my favorite out of the atlantis and the delta ii. I had no wicking issues whatsoever with the RBA and I was using 80/20 VG juice and chain vaping

I honestly dont know what caused it to melt, all I know is it wasnt from any fault of my own, or from any eliquid I was using (I dont use tank crackers and never will). I did not build the RBA myself, it came with a factory coil already installed inside the RBA deck which was the one I used. I didnt have any time to try any of my own builds because the insulator melted after the first tank of e-liquid. It wasn't from a short because I use an Istick30 watt which wont fire on one. I did wick the coil but the cotton did not tug or move the coil in any way and went through it easily.

melted.jpg

melted2.jpg

melted3.jpg

I sent Kanger's US service center an email on Tuesday at 0700 including all of my information and have not heard back yet. I hope they dont try to give all of us the run around, because I've heard nothing but great things in the past about their customer service

The only insulators for the subtank/subtank mini on kangers site are the newest brown peek blended insulators. The clear ones have been discontinued. This is a fact. Only the older models of the subtank mini will still have the clear insulator. All new ones will ship with the brown ones.

You can buy them here, though I think kanger really should provide them to anybody that received their RBA with the clear insulator. Notice the only insulators offered are the upgraded brown ones (blended peek material, their third revision of insulators)

Subtank Parts - KangerTech US, LLC

I will not be purchasing them. I feel it is up to Kanger to resolve this issue as my product was defective and damaged my rba itself.

JC87

Feb 4, 2015
Ugh, more bad news :( This sucks! A user on another forum has received the updated insulators but they dont fit his subtank mini RBA deck!

otherthread.jpg

I am not giving up on kanger just yet, as I still think the subtank mini is the best clearomizer out there right now. I will be patient and hope these problems get fixed, because before my RBA insulator melted, it worked flawlessly!

JC87

Feb 4, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Let's be careful how we address off site issues. Thank you

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I don't use reddit but I have your back on this one. I went to the site after Kanger wouldn't send me a replacement and your link is valid.

I have the white insulator that PB said was bad and e-mailed them, they basically told me to go away that it was fine.

But those are not for the mini and I don't think they carry them there yet. The description on their site sucks.

JC87

Feb 4, 2015
Thank you. The word needs to get out that there are multiple issues of the clear insulators failing. Kanger already knows this which is why they've developed and now only sell the updated brown insulators. Please inform anybody you know who might have the clear insulators of this issue! Keep this thread alive until the issues people are having are resolved!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
JC......The clear insulator in your pictures actually look like the PEEK insulator....the old ones are white.

I cannot determine what the color is in your photo...almost looks like a brownish or dark army green.

Watching PB's video, he claims the clear insulator is the good one, white is the bad insulator, no mention of the dark colored insulator. Now I'm a little confused. Where did you get that dark colored insulator, from Kangertech?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Th2lX8tCU

Regardless, I have eight Kanger mini subs, I check the insulators with each refill and have not found any problems yet, knock on wood.

JC87

Feb 4, 2015
Lets hope you dont have any problems! Mine was indeed the clear insulator, and like you, I had watched PB's video about the clear insulators being the ones that are fixed. This was before I bought my subtank mini. After my clear insulator melted, I went searching on the net to see if anyone else has encountered this, and sure enough others have. Kanger knows about the clear insulators failing, and have developed the brown ones to replace them. The brown ones are actually made from blended peek. The clear ones appear to be made from PET but I cant confirm that. All I know is that some people have been fine (so far) with their clear insulators, and others like me have had them melt due to no user error of their own. If I could link you to some other threads here, I would, but it blocks the name of the forum so I am not able to do that. I've already been warned by staff here to stop posting about this issue in other threads, when I am just trying to get the word out to as many people as possible to be careful with the clear insulators as it could severely harm you if it melts and you don't have a protected battery. The melted plastic fumes cant be good for your health either.

RiceBurner95

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2014
Leeds, AL
Awwww! I just bought a mini a few hours ago from myvaporstore, and I expect it will come with the clear insulator. I guess I'll receive it and set it on a shelf until Kanger figures out how to fix the issues correctly, and release a fix that is actually a fix. This is my first time purchasing a Kanger product, and had I known the clear insulators weren't actually a good fix, I wouldn't have bought one. Well, I guess I could just use the provided OCC coils in the meantime. Better than nothing I guess.

StarreLabelle

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2014
Texas, Near Randolph Air Force Base
I just ordered a mini, too. Sweet-Vapes states they are the new insulators, but I'm not sure if they are the brown ones. I'm just going to use the occ coils until we find out if this problem has really been fixed with these brown insulators.
I went with the Kanger Subtank instead of the Atlantis because the was a problem with that tank not being all stainless steel, and people were worried about the coating eventually rubbing off the brass. They are fixing those tanks, too.

JC87

Feb 4, 2015
They are sending out the brown ones to people with the mini who ask, though I have heard reports of them not fitting. I have no idea whats going on at this point, other than the clear insulators are flawed for a lot of users and the brown ones may or may not fit. A user in this thread (http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...at-should-i-use-make-one-15.html#post15196191) has said that they are now on their FOURTH revision of insulators! When will it end?

Last edited:

RiceBurner95

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2014
Leeds, AL
I have a feeling it won't end. I think a lot of the problem comes from the really thin bottom part of the L shaped part of the deck. Not enough material there to properly disperse heat, and the coil being just a fraction of an inch above it gets it really hot really fast, even without chain vaping it. I could be wrong of course, but when you look at pretty much every other deck, it's at least twice as thick.

JC87

Feb 4, 2015
I agree completely. I've also seen pictures from other users of gaps between that L portion and the insulator where the insulator is not aligned correctly or touching the metal. I never checked that part before I used mine, I trusted it was installed correctly from the factory...maybe thats what happened, I am not sure. All I know is it was from no error of my own

Last edited:

RiceBurner95

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2014
Leeds, AL
You would think a company like Kanger would put a little more research into their products before they release them. I don't see how this problem could have gotten past them if they did any sort of considerable testing over any reasonable length of testing time. Looks like this piece might just be an occasional use item with the occ coils. I'm not looking to spend money on new coils every time it needs one, however long that is. Anybody know how long those coils typically last? I'm guessing I can probably get decent life out of one. I've been using a lot of clean juices lately, and can make a coil and wick last over week in an RDA.

Jockamo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Philadephia,PA,USA
I have a mini and the brown insulators coming on Monday. The Mini is coming from ebay so I'm guessing it's not the latest revision. I'm curious how they could sell two different RBA's and two different insulators but one doesn't fit. They don't have another product that it would fit. I'll report what I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread