The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Kanger's New Head! NO BURNY GROMMETS!!

Discussion in 'Tanks, clearomizers and drop-in coils' started by Trayce, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Trayce

Trayce Moved On ECF Veteran

Mar 28, 2013
    Multiversal
  2. Chinook

Chinook Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    OR, USA
    Great news Trayce! I'm glad to hear that your "rubber syndrome" is fixed :) And, thank you very much for posting the steps for dealing with the silicone tubing.

3. jotook24tovaip

jotook24tovaip Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 11, 2013
    Dallas Tx. USA
    If I keep following this clearomizer/evod line of threads I may actually know what I am doing! Thanks again for answering my questions before I ask em! Seek and someone on the ecf will have found it already!
    Thanks again.

4. Trayce

Mar 28, 2013
    Multiversal
    Ain't it the truth jotook! Have thought the same many times!! :)

5. gjustin79

gjustin79 Coil Destroyer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 10, 2013
    Oceanside, CA, USA
    Picked up some heads at my local shop and the grommet is a different color. Not the usual opaque cream color, much gray-er and darker. Assuming these are the new burn resistant ones..?

6. Trayce

Mar 28, 2013
    Multiversal
    Food grade silicone is normally clearish-white-cloudy, like the silicone cup on the stem of the head. If it is semi-clear and you are seeing the metal post through it, it might appear gray??? It is GREAT NEWS if they are making them available now in 5 packs... what brand heads? Kangers, or... ?

7. gjustin79

Oct 10, 2013
    Oceanside, CA, USA
    It wasn't a 5 pack. 5 separate ones.. My local shop is overpriced up the ..... They are T3S/mT3S heads, 2.5 ohm. They sell them for $3.95 EACH.. I ruined all my old ones with isopropyl alcohol (couldn't get the taste of alcohol out of them) and was desperate and needed my nicotine so I just grabbed 5 of them. No packaging, no little baggy. He simply handed me 5 unwrapped heads. And yeah they are clearish cloudy.

I want to know where I can get these online??? They seem to taste better too and produce more vapor... Somehow..

I can't wait to try and rebuild these. I should have better luck with the burnt taste now. Going to use them up before I do though

8. Trayce

Mar 28, 2013
    Multiversal
    YIKES! $3.95 each!! WOW. I knew they'd raise the price but that's outrageous. I hope it is just the local shop and not how much they will be when they become widely available. But that's awesome they're out!

Yes, they will taste MUCH better without the rubber and they also have no-res legs, though I don't know why they included those now that they are using silicone! They should have had no-res legs with the rubber! The silicone will not release any taste when heated or even burnt as it is inert material. IMO using no-res legs with silicone just increases the price of the head for no good reason (even if they will sell for $2 they could be cheaper without no-res legs... which most of us won't use when rebuilding anyway). Unless the quality of the silicone they used for the grommet is less tolerant to heat than the normal silicone which is tolerant to 500F. But I would think that unlikely. IAC thanks for sharing... now I wish they'd make the silicone grommets available as spare parts. They could be used for all the old heads. Silicone tubing is working but an actual grommet with a bottom collar would be ideal... long as they didn't charge an arm and a leg for them. :)

9. MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Right!? Wasup wit dat?

Maybe, they don't want people tryin' rebuilding to avoid burnt grommets? At $3.95 what do you think the margin is?

Just sayin'.

:)

10. gjustin79

Oct 10, 2013
    Oceanside, CA, USA
    Guys, this is my local shop. Not online prices.

They sell protanks for $25.

Doubt they will be that expensive..

11. MacTechVpr

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL

First look, nice isolation BTW. :)

But the above picture to me epitomizes my experience with "burny grommets". Any wick media that disintegrated had to endure an inordinate power temp level, as might be induced by the effect of lowered resistance to power applied in a short.

Silica frays, breaks down, dismembers, becomes accordingly more prone to temperature under the stress of a contact short. And it is ridiculously simple to accomplish with a hand wind subsequently installed in a clearo. Even if you build it on a gold toothpick or poke it thereafter to hold it in place for installation you start to disembowel it and thereafter susceptible to inadequate contact and a hot leg. Then it's the dickens to try to insert into any coil except the latter variety, too big in the end, and you still are prone to the hot leg. You have to successfully target a diameter that is at best proximate but smaller than the apparent diameter of the silica. And there's hell to pay getting it in. Compress too much and your flooding and gunking. Shatter it internally and you have premature disintegration. All that I describe, the perfect recipe for shorts and sub-optimal coil operation.

Like I said the very picture of "burny grommets" that. But YMMV.

Great isolation though, really.

Good luck!

:)

12. Trayce

Mar 28, 2013
    Multiversal
    $3.94 :D (Actually probably costs 10 cents to make but who knows what the shop paid for them.)

Got that, but the point is if the local shop is charging that, even online prices will likely be significantly higher than the heads we're used to buying. Unless they're charging a premium because they're new and hard to come by...

13. MacTechVpr

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Hi Justin, not a criticism. Glad they're out there and you found some. There will be many of us that have to hop on this because they can't handle the flavor issues. People like me with significant taste sensitivities. Good job I say.

No, my cynicism is aimed at the producers who are in my estimation downgrading the quality of silica in use. I believe I've seen it in just the short time I've been involved. It must be startlingly alarming to others. I'd bet on it.

The move to self-contained by more producers is starting to become evident. We will have even less chance to observe the quality of media or build. It also potentially fits the agenda of possible future regulation and consequently the universality of products that we are offered.

My suggestion, diversify your options now — ON WITH THE SILICA TUBES! <arm outstretched>

(Or, I'll mold my own.)

Good luck!

:D

14. MacTechVpr

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Good on the method!

(Great on the isolation.)

:thumb:

15. Zippoz

Zippoz Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2013
    PNW
  16. Trayce

Mar 28, 2013
    Multiversal
  17. vaperature

vaperature Moved On ECF Veteran

Oct 8, 2013
    Chicago
    What wonderful news. Please explain what a "no resistance leg" is though. What's that?

18. Trayce

Mar 28, 2013
    Multiversal
    No-res wire is actually very low res wire (virtually no-res in this application).... less resistance, less heat, so the legs stay cooler. A hot leg can char the grommet and cause problems with your vape. This was more of an issue with rubber grommets in that a heated rubber grommet will release fumes whereas silicone won't. But FWIW the new heads have no-res legs and silicone grommets. (Not that I have one, but PBusardo reviewed them and some people have received them in new devices...)

19. gjustin79

Oct 10, 2013
    Oceanside, CA, USA
    Has anyone been able to find the new heads online yet? Googling only comes up with this thread, or the silicon wick cap.

20. Trayce

Mar 28, 2013
    Multiversal
    It doesn't seem like they are being advertised, so would be hard to tell by reading descriptions on websites, but it seems like some people who order heads are getting the new ones... others not. Barring a better answer forthcoming here, you might try emailing your favorite vendor(s) and simply asking if they have the new Kanger heads with the silicone post insulator and no-res legs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.