The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Kangertech Toptank Mini-coils not connecting

Discussion in 'Tanks, clearomizers and drop-in coils' started by JaneinMesa, Feb 12, 2018.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. JaneinMesa

JaneinMesa Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 8, 2012
    AZ
    I've had the tank for about a year and purchased several rebuildable coils. Things had been fine and then my istick Pico started showing the ohms fluctuating when I put on a new coil. Tried it on an older istick Pico and still had problems getting it work. I kept getting no coil or some other fault message, but ohms stayed steady when it did read the coil. After hours of fooling around with everything I finally got a coil to work. I purchased a new mod (Smoant Battlestar) about two weeks ago. Things worked great! Went to change the coil today and now it's not reading my coils. It's got to be the tank!

I've tried pushing up the pin on the bottom of the tank and that didn't help. 5 of my 6 rebuildable coils don't work. Even a prebuilt coil didn't work, but I found one that is working.

Any advice? Can I get a new center pin from somewhere? Does something happen to the metal pin (oxidize)? This just seems so weird.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Beamslider

Beamslider Ultra Member Verified Member

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    The Smoant that I use with a tanktop doesn't let the tank screw all the way down. I have to use a washer under it to get it to sit flush on it. The Pin is long on the Kanger tank.

Tightening it down too hard can cause problems. Don't know if that is your issue but could be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JaneinMesa

Aug 8, 2012
    AZ
    Hmm, I don't generally crank them down too hard and mine sits flush. If anything the toptank mini post would be too short. Just now I went to vape from it and it asked if was a new coil? So it's losing connection somehow. I've been using the same as I have for a year and no problems up until now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JaneinMesa

Aug 8, 2012
    AZ
    So I just put on a new coil. It asks me if a new coil. I reply yes. It shows 4.33 ohms, but then quickly to read 0.00 ohms. If I press the fire button quickly, before it changes to 0.00 ohms, it fires, but then goes back to asking me if it's a new coil.

• Like Like x 1
  5. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    The Villages, FL
    The pin will pull out.
    You could try cleaning it with a pencil eraser and alcohol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kiyle the Manlet

Kiyle the Manlet Senior Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Ohio
    which could are you using? are you using the .5 OCC or the .5 SSOCC? Try either. the SSOCC is the round one, OCC is square with rounded corners

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. JaneinMesa

Aug 8, 2012
    AZ
    Tried that. I even took some emery cloth to the bottom of the pin. I'm rechecking my coils. Did I make 10 bad ones? The screws on the deck don't hold the wire very well, but I've known this for a year.

• Like Like x 2
  8. JaneinMesa

Aug 8, 2012
    AZ
    I don't know what you are talking about?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Kiyle the Manlet

Kiyle the Manlet Senior Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Ohio
    the Kanger toptank mini takes the ssocc coil. the square OCC will fit. the occ and ssocc are the names of the coils kangertech makes for the subtanks.

10. Beamslider

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    If the screws on the RBA are loose and not holding the wire tight. You will have jumping around OHM readings. What gauge wire are you using in the RBA?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bonskibon

Bonskibon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 11, 2015
    USA Northeast
    This may or may not help. I use that tank and the RBA and find using adapters on the mod helps with connection issues.

Toptank 510 pin fix.PNG

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    The above solution worked for me when having connectivity issues on some of my tanks. You can also screw the pin down with a screwdriver from above, this may enable your coil to "fully" connect with the tank if the pin inside is too high and not making a solid connection with the tank.

Anna

• Like Like x 2
  13. weirdbeard

weirdbeard New Member

May 19, 2017
    I had this same problem last year, ended up replacing the tank base. Even after cleaning the center pin and grommets, my multimeter still showed only an intermittent circuit.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. JaneinMesa

Aug 8, 2012
    AZ
    I found that if I cut a thin washer from a plastic baggie and placed it on the pin it fixed the problem, except the tank is now a bit wobbly. Wondering if the pin or rubber grommet got compressed over time? Maybe they need to put spring loaded pins in the tanks, too.

• Like Like x 1
  15. chellie

chellie Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    Are you sure that is what the problem is? The reason I ask is because I use a toptank and was having big time problems. Flashing resistance numbers, 999's etc... , sometimes repeatedly asking if it was new coil, and just a bunch of stuff. I tried the tank on others mods and still had issues. I finally thought that maybe the problem was the airflow piece - maybe something was damaged ---I have dropped my vape more times than I care to admit so I purchased 2 new air flows and my tank is reading perfectly.​

Worth a shot.

This is what I ordered - I actually ordered 2 because I know parts for these are becoming harder to get.

$4.86 Authentic KangerTech Replacement Airflow Control Valve for Toptank Mini Clearomizer - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

• Like Like x 1
  16. chellie

Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    Useful --I still have my old airflow piece and will give that a shot.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JaneinMesa

Aug 8, 2012
    AZ
    That's going to be my next move. I'm just wondering what goes wrong with the bases?

• Like Like x 1
  18. chellie

Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    Not sure - In my case, I have dropped it a few times so maybe that. Also, I made sure that I purchased an authentic one. There are a lot of clones that are passed off as the real thing (my opinion) and the clones oftentimes have bad airflow pieces

I first realized something was wrong because I was building coils and the numbers were all messed up.

New airflow solved the problem for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Beamslider

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    The clone tanks are fine. But yeah the airflow on the clone base is usually bad and turns to easily. The authentic base is only about $5 so best to just get a few for keeping around. That pin insulator seems to be next to impossible to find too

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1