Status
Not open for further replies.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
i have 75w istick pico with tugboat rda. i know have whatever coil , it reads 0.41ohm. i want to get more vape. what ohm i should build?

More than ohm involved in vapor production. More wire mass or surface area equal more vapor. Also equal more ramp time and more wattage.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
i have 75w istick pico with tugboat rda. i know have whatever coil , it reads 0.41ohm. i want to get more vape. what ohm i should build?
Which version of the Tugboat do you have? One of them is single coil while the other is dual coil capable (I guess you could find a way to build a dual or a single on either).

Stainless has the benefit of being able to run in both wattage mode and temp control. Your Pico does TC pretty well by itself and very well with Arctic Fox firmware. Google "NFE Tools and Arctic Fox" to learn all about that.

Stainless is springy while Kanthal holds its shape better after bending. I'm always adding a half-wrap or so to account for stainless' tendency to spring back.

If you get some 26ga SS316, try 8 wraps around a 3mm object. You should end up at somewhere between 0.5 and 0.6 Ohms, which does really well at about 40-50 Watts.

You don't want to go much higher than that, wattage-wise. The Pico is powerful for a single cell device but 60-ish and higher Watts sucks your battery very quickly.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
More than ohm involved in vapor production. More wire mass or surface area equal more vapor. Also equal more ramp time and more wattage.

More vapor also means more juice used per puff.

@ZoLq I personally prefer SS, but then again I do TC almost exclusively. I also find SS to be a "cleaner" taste, but that is 100% pure opinion. Seriously the best advice would be to build a coil out of one try it for a while, then build a coil out of the other and try that for a while and see which one YOU like best.

ZoLq

Moved On
Dec 2, 2017
Which version of the Tugboat do you have? One of them is single coil while the other is dual coil capable (I guess you could find a way to build a dual or a single on either).

Stainless has the benefit of being able to run in both wattage mode and temp control. Your Pico does TC pretty well by itself and very well with Arctic Fox firmware. Google "NFE Tools and Arctic Fox" to learn all about that.

Stainless is springy while Kanthal holds its shape better after bending. I'm always adding a half-wrap or so to account for stainless' tendency to spring back.

If you get some 26ga SS316, try 8 wraps around a 3mm object. You should end up at somewhere between 0.5 and 0.6 Ohms, which does really well at about 40-50 Watts.

You don't want to go much higher than that, wattage-wise. The Pico is powerful for a single cell device but 60-ish and higher Watts sucks your battery very quickly.
i have tugboat v2. indeed it can run single coil as well as dual coil. i use single coil. i ordered kanthal a 0,32mm ( dont know kow much gauge that is ) how many wraps i should do? and can i like wrap it on pencil ? :D don't have really anything for this task

nah i won't use tc i don't get it and i think it's pretty much the same as wattage

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
My personal experience is I like SS better. For me, I can run everything I build with SS at lower wattage. Presently, I have 26ga SS in a Hurricane 1.3 and the coil is at .4ohm. It runs great at 20w. Generally, I use mechanical squonkers. 24ga SS spaced single coils on a mech is fantastic.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
i have tugboat v2. indeed it can run single coil as well as dual coil. i use single coil. i ordered kanthal a 0,32mm ( dont know kow much gauge that is ) how many wraps i should do? and can i like wrap it on pencil ? :D don't have really anything for this task

nah i won't use tc i don't get it and i think it's pretty much the same as wattage

0,32mm = 28gauge

I wouldn't suggest a pencil, I think that might be too big. I would use a screwdriver (Phillips, or Torx, not flat head, since you will need to be able to slide the coil off), a screw, or something like that. I would try doing about 6 wraps to start.

Last edited:

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
My experience with SS is that it brings out great flavor from the coils compared to Kanthal. I used kanthal for the last 8 months in my rdas but after trying SS recently, I can't separate myself from SS especially SS claptons. Now kanthal tastes to me like muted flavor compared. But my taste and yours may be different of course but it seems like I'm not the only one who thinks so.

ZoLq

Moved On
Dec 2, 2017
0,32mm = 28gauge

I wouldn't suggest a pencil, I think that might be too big. I would use a screwdriver (Phillips, or Torx, not flat head, since you will need to be able to slide the coil off), a screw, or something like that. I would try doing about 6 wraps to start.
okay. what wattage i should choose?
i ordered kanthal already , sorry :/

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
In my opinion kanthal is easier to coil than SS, which yes is "springier." With that said, if you aren't going to use TC, you may find kanthal easier to work with at first. I really do agree with others about SS having a slightly "cleaner" taste. Maybe start with what you ordered and then experiment with SS down the line? I am also partial to 28 gauge SS wire, I find it easy to work with (both number of wraps for my resistance target) and it's a bit springy, but easier than thicker wires. I do have some 26 gauge, but I am usually looking for a higher resistance coil....

I have done 0 "exotic" coils and I seem to be quite fine with that :)

Anna

Anna

Reactions: EIHYPI

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com

That would be 28 gauge wire. Good stuff to work with.

You could wrap with a pencil, but you'd probably end up with a coil you don't like. You'd get better flavor with a thinner diameter. And you'd be surprised how much stuff you have laying around that would be up to the task.

A 1/8" drill bit would work. A bamboo skewer would do nicely. Eat a Tootsie Roll Pop and count how many licks it takes to get to the center. Then use the stick.

A lot of people use power mode only. Its usefulness is better with tanks than dripping atomizers. Once you're used to how many hits you can get from a drip, you have to work hard to get a dry hit. TC works on the known relationship between the coil wire's resistance and temperature. The hotter it gets, the more the metal's resistance increases. That rate of resistance increase is used by the chip in your mod to estimate temperature and once that estimated temperature gets to the level you've selected, the chip in the mod reduces power and prevents burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread