Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    From what I understand, Kanthal is a trademarked brand name by a company that makes resistance wire (among other things). Kanthal — Heating elements and resistance heating wire and strip. It's just Iron, Chromium and Aluminum - hence FeCrAl.

They are sending cease and desist letters to vendors selling FeCrAl under and using their trademarked "Kanthal" name if in fact the wire they're selling is not Kanthal brand or a repacked version. Understandable.

However, every now and then and read a forum post (here and on other places) where people use the term "Kantian" and they are obviously referring to Kanthal (aka FeCrAl).

But when you search on the term Kantian, you can't find much about it and most of what you find is referring to Kantianism, which I think is a Germanic philosophical ideology of sorts.

So I am wondering is if Kantian is also a brand (I cannot find a trademark on it at USPTO search), is it a catchy name for FrCrAl just made up by someone along the way that hasn't quite caught on yet.

Ans what do you suppose vendors will start calling their "Kanthal" once they get hit with the cease and desist en masse? "Resistance wire" isn't gonna cut it (which is what Kanthal is telling people to use as a generic term) since FeCrAl isn't the only resistance wire used in vaping - it's too generic.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 17, 2013
    Seattle
    However, every now and then and read a forum post (here and on other places) where people use the term "Kantian" and they are obviously referring to Kanthal (aka FeCrAl).

I've seen plenty of misspellings of Kanthal, but I don't recall ever seeing "Kantian" within those ranks.
    Ans what do you suppose vendors will start calling their "Kanthal" once they get hit with the cease and desist en masse? "Resistance wire" isn't gonna cut it (which is what Kanthal is telling people to use as a generic term) since FeCrAl isn't the only resistance wire used in vaping - it's too generic.

Wild guess - "vaping wire".

;)

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    Wonder when Google is going to ban the term, Google It? I myself rarely use the Google.com when I search on the web, but I do google things daily.

Or Coke for people calling their soda Pepsi. I tend to call ALL carbonated soda a Coke.
    You fiend!!!

:)

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

I've seen plenty of misspellings of Kanthal, but I don't recall ever seeing "Kantian" within those ranks.

Wild guess - "vaping wire".

;)
    Hello state O flux,
    I'm a brand new member unfamiliar with vaping only doing it for 3 months. i was given your name by another member as he considers you to be an expert.
    I started on a vision evod 900 ma with a vision evod clearo and 2.8 ohm coils.I have been given a vision vapros I box with Vision Vivi Nova clearo (max 6 volts & 25watts)Manual says to use coils of 0.8 to 1.5 ohms
    I still have 10 2.8 ohm coils can I use them with the vapros box without damaging it.
    Sorry to bother you but hers hoping yo can help an ols Scotsman

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    You can (should) start a conversation with a member instead of trying to hold a private conversation with them in a unrelated thread. In fact, it is recommended :). Click on the member's name and click "Start a Conversation".

To answer you question, yes, you can use those coils/clearos. You won't damage the box mod. But you won't be able to vape that kind of EVOD coil at more than about 3.8-4V or maybe 10-11W without burning the wick. Same goes with that Vivi Nova clearo.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread