Kanthal ss or nichrome for taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
I have been exclusively using kanthal for as long as I can remember & got used to it's taste which I like a lot. With nichrome, I tried it a while back and cannot remember the taste. Now I have to admit ss has nice flavor after trying it and the flavor is more bold from what I experienced but I can still enjoy kanthal just as much. So now that I tried a few, I figured I'll ask what material wire others prefer taste wise.

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I stay away from Nickel and Nichrome as I am slightly allergic to nickel. I like SS in 28, 27 or 26 guage, probably 26 gauge the best as it is still malleable but stiff enough to rewick several times. I like SS the best as the flavor is better. I do like Kanthal though especially in 24 gauge.

Have tried clapton wire and didn't much care for it.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yup, like others, I find SS easier to stock and use. As easy to build as Kanthal, price pretty much the same, and good in TC or VW. That satisfies just about any criteria about those wires.

I do not view one tastes "better" than another. They all vape well, and I can't taste any difference between them. If I were in a blind taste test, I would do as well throwing darts.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Heehee, darts, what a great toy. I agree with those using SS, I mainly do it because it's easy, and can be vaped in wattage or TC mode, and as far as working with it, I found it slightly easier to coil kanthal it seems a bit less springy but it's really not enough to matter, honestly.

Anna

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
Heehee, darts, what a great toy. I agree with those using SS, I mainly do it because it's easy, and can be vaped in wattage or TC mode, and as far as working with it, I found it slightly easier to coil kanthal it seems a bit less springy but it's really not enough to matter, honestly.

Anna
I also found ss coils to be springy, much more than kanthal even with ss fused claptons. I seem to like a coil that stays in place well enough so I don't need to worry about the coil shifting when wicking. It also seems to me that it was harder to take out hot spots from ss than kanthal overall.

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
When it was primarily mech mods and we had to use bigger gauged wire to acheive low sub ohm coils SS was superior to kanthal simply because of its ease to work with malleability. I prefer SS for flavor but it has a longer ramp time than Kanthal. But kanthal is still good stuff to use and vape with. I use both. Kanthal and SS for wattage builds and Nickle for temp builds as I do not have a device that currently supports Temp control for SS.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I Don't Like The Taste Of Kanthal.

Ni-200 is/was Too Hard to work with.

Titanium was OK. But there was an Underlying Funkiness to it that may have been more Mental because of a Bad 1st Spool of Ti wire that I got.

NiChrome 80 was my D2D Wire Alloy for Years.

But when the SS Wire Craze hit, I tried it and Liked it. Liked it A Lot.

316/316L is Easy to Work With. Seems to be about Taste Neutral. Has a Fast Ramp-Up/Ramp-Down. And I can use it in TC Mode if I want.

Paul Mohr

Oct 28, 2017
Adrian MI
I can't tell a difference between any of them honestly. Nor can I taste a difference between cotton or rayon.

I can't tell the difference between a simple single coil, dual coil or the fancy twisted/braided/clapton coils. Which is why I just use a simple single coil in all my builds.

I can tell the difference between certain tanks though.

I will be brutally honest in saying that after about an hour into my day I really can't taste much of anything anymore lol.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I Don't Like The Taste Of Kanthal.

316/316L is Easy to Work With. Seems to be about Taste Neutral. Has a Fast Ramp-Up/Ramp-Down. And I can use it in TC Mode if I want.

Agreed, I keep some around but I can taste kanthal and happy as hell that SS is available for the same reasons you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread