Status
Not open for further replies.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
hi guys, I've recentry bought an rta atomizer and seen that there are many type of wires. So what are the main differences among kanthal, ss and clapton or what are their pros and cons? For example, in many threads people say that ss has very good flavor and it need much less watts, others say clapton gives the best flavor, what's happening??
Kanthal can not be used in TC except for very few mods.

SS has better flavor can be used in either power or TC modes.

Clapton wire has more surface area to Vaporize more eJuice.

If you are trying to limit Juice consumption Clapton coils arent for you.

Most RTAs can only use 2-2.5 mm ID coils so Claptons will not fit in most RTAs because tight decks, and smaller than average Post holes. I use a Compact Kayfun RTA and the leads have to be trapped under screw heads , and 26 gauge round wire barely fits.

Choose an RTA you like then worry if Ckaptons will fit.

Myself i am a flavor chaser and couldn't care less about CLOUDS BRO CLOUDS.

e-giannis

Nov 27, 2016
Kanthal can not be used in TC except for very few mods.

SS has better flavor can be used in either power or TC modes.

Clapton wire has more surface area to Vaporize more eJuice.

If you are trying to limit Juice consumption Clapton coils arent for you.

Most RTAs can only use 2-2.5 mm ID coils so Claptons will not fit in most RTAs because tight decks, and smaller than average Post holes. I use a Compact Kayfun RTA and the leads have to be trapped under screw heads , and 26 gauge round wire barely fits.

Choose an RTA you like then worry if Ckaptons will fit.

Myself i am a flavor chaser and couldn't care less about CLOUDS BRO CLOUDS.
Thanks bro, also I think that if you want to make some CLOUDS you can just adjust the watts, am I wrong? I am a flavor chaser too so what wire do you suggest?? Many say that clapton has the best flavor because the surface of the wire is bigger and mch more juice is heating up.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Thanks bro, also I think that if you want to make some CLOUDS you can just adjust the watts, am I wrong? I am a flavor chaser too so what wire do you suggest?? Many say that clapton has the best flavor because the surface of the wire is bigger and mch more juice is heating up.
If you want flavor Stainless Steel plain round wire.

Clapton are for clouds not flavor

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Imo... best flavor is found with nichrome. But SS is close and for me vapes better and work better in TC. So I have been changing over from nich and kanthal to SS...

Claptons while making great clouds and tons of flavor. Require too many watts and don't provide the flavor qualities I like. When vaping a flavor say strawberries and cream... I like the vapor to taste like stawberries and cream.. not S & C flavored E juice.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Reactions: zoiDman

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015

You can't really just go all Tim Taylor on a coil and add Moar Power. :D

A build will have a fairly narrow range for peak performance and there are problems with consistently running any build too much below that.
Such as... unvaporized juice spitting and violently popping ( :eek: ), excess condensation in the chamber which can lead to flooding (gurgling) or even seeping out the air intakes.
So we really don't normally have a lot of headroom to crank it up. We want it running its' best... day in, day out. Whatever that build might be designed for.

Want moar cloudz... in general that means a different build.

Reactions: KenD

ErrrKT19

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2014
c.r., co
some people say they taste differences based on wire
kanthal- kind of springy, higher resistance, durable, (cannot be used for temperature control)
nichrome 80- lower resistance, softer than stainless or kanthal, doesn't hold up as well to heat, (cannot be used for temperature control)
stainless 316L - very low resistance, kind of springy, durable (can be used either for temperature control or power mode)
ni200 - ultra low resistance,very very soft, gets brittle quickly from use, (can only be used for temperature control)
i have no experience with titanium
clapton wire is just a piece of round wire with another piece of round wire wrapped around it and can be made with any of the different types of wire

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I only build with 316L these days, and almost always use in temp control mode. I use simple coils and Claptons, and get excellent flavor with both. It's also the atty you use it in. Right now I have dual SS Claptons in a Crius+ and getting excellent flavor out of a strawberry milk juice. It's all about finding what works best for your taste and preference.

Reactions: ErrrKT19

Falco78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
United States
I like stainless because it works in TC or power mode. Normally I'm in TC mode because I can vape higher watts and redrip less often and if the mod won't stay in TC mode, which has only happened a few times, I can carry on in power mode.
This is exactly why I am moving strictly SS316L for future builds.

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using MOAR 2.1b ROM running tapatalk

Reactions: ErrrKT19

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
Actually.. claptons work by heating the core which heats the wraps that trap the ejuice more slowly, so basically, you have the core heating the ejuice and wire wraps, and the wrapped wire then vaporizing the juice trapped in those wraps. SO HOT in the middle, very warm on the wraps. two temperature evaporation. Basically.

Now clouds.. you can get decent clouds from just about any good build. 5 to 8 wraps, clouds are all about surface area. So the core wire in a clapton makes more clouds than the wrapped wire around the core. Follow so far? Cool.. NOW..
for bells to the wells clouds you can't see through.. you want a simple straight wrap unclaptoned wire. A 3.0 or larger ID core, and something like 8 wraps of 24ga Nichrome. Nichrome has lower resistance than kanthal, so you get more wraps. Stainless steel has even lower resistance, but it takes a huge amount of power to heat. Remember.. lower resistance = more conductive = less heat. Kind of like swimming in water and swimming in jello. It takes more energy to get to the end of the pool full of jello. Toss in a couple blonds and I'd never get to the end of the pool. lol... anyway...
That's the basics. clapton = slow ramp up, 2 stage juice burn. Regular coil = fast ramp up, 1 stage burn and lots of juice drawn from the wick.

The reason it works has a lot to do with power, air flow, and the shape of the atty. Short atty for flavor, tall for clouds (basically) Example, Tsunami.. flavor MutationX clouds. You can get both cloud and flavor on either.. but if you want to enter a competition, you'll be grabbing the MutX.

By the way.. yes, increasing the watts will produce more clouds on any coil, up to a limit. To hot and you burn the wick. This is also why you see people using a 4 to 6 second draw on claptons, but a 1.5 second draw on a cloud build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread