Kat’s Kalamari Klub (Squid Industries Mods)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
Well the good news is that my Squidly DB V2.1 has arrived back at Nicaville fixed and repaired and back in full working order :banana:

One of the wonderful members at my home aussie vaping forum (vaping In Australia (VIA)) is experienced & talented in mod repair and small electroincs stuff. He offered to take a look at my DB for me so I posted it to him ( he lives about 1000 klm's away from me in another aussie state).

He dissembled it and found a fair bit of ejuice inside which had caused a short that was shutting the mod down when I tried to fire it. He dried it all out over several weeks, used some special electronics lacquer protector stuff on various areas, re-soldered the affected joints/spots etc and YAY its now all good again.

In case it assists anyone else down the track with a similar issue with their Squid DB V2.1 here's a quote of some of what he told me :

"Well the diagnosis was eliquid on the board corroding things and burning out a few solder joints.. that's why it was shutting down. What a horribly flawed design!

You've had a leak through the 510 and into the board/s.

The design is a huge fall. The new boards in the v3 double barrel are apparently sealed. But this.. nope.

The only thing you can do is not get liquid into it.

I'll clean up all the contacts and header pins etc and dry it and see how it goes (header pins on anything like this is just a flaw waiting to happen). I'll keep drying it and see what happens.

The bridge connection (headers and pins) is a weak spot for that much power. It blew out a solder point because juice had pooled there and it was creating an arc point. I had to re-solder the pin joints all the way along because they were compromised and I've put four layers of PCB protective lacquer on the pins where it failed last time. The pcb are lacquered themselves, so it shouldn't have caused the short.. it's only where multiple power connections meet that it seemed to be an issue. I've also attempted to coat the 510 positive and negative connections on the board.

Even when i opened up the mod again today, the pcb was still oozing little bits of eliquid.. not great. It may well be that only the outer perimeter of the board saw eliquid so having it coming out of the board is a good sign."
I’m not sure if that rates informative or optimistic.... glad you got it back and working (fingers crossed). I’ll definitely be more careful about what topper mine gets.

JUMA55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Waco, TX
Well the good news is that my Squidly DB V2.1 has arrived back at Nicaville fixed and repaired and back in full working order :banana:

One of the wonderful members at my home aussie vaping forum (Vaping In Australia (VIA)) is experienced & talented in mod repair and small electroincs stuff. He offered to take a look at my DB for me so I posted it to him ( he lives about 1000 klm's away from me in another aussie state).

He dissembled it and found a fair bit of ejuice inside which had caused a short that was shutting the mod down when I tried to fire it. He dried it all out over several weeks, used some special electronics lacquer protector stuff on various areas, re-soldered the affected joints/spots etc and YAY its now all good again.

In case it assists anyone else down the track with a similar issue with their Squid DB V2.1 here's a quote of some of what he told me :

"Well the diagnosis was eliquid on the board corroding things and burning out a few solder joints.. that's why it was shutting down. What a horribly flawed design!

You've had a leak through the 510 and into the board/s.

The design is a huge fall. The new boards in the v3 double barrel are apparently sealed. But this.. nope.

The only thing you can do is not get liquid into it.

I'll clean up all the contacts and header pins etc and dry it and see how it goes (header pins on anything like this is just a flaw waiting to happen). I'll keep drying it and see what happens.

The bridge connection (headers and pins) is a weak spot for that much power. It blew out a solder point because juice had pooled there and it was creating an arc point. I had to re-solder the pin joints all the way along because they were compromised and I've put four layers of PCB protective lacquer on the pins where it failed last time. The pcb are lacquered themselves, so it shouldn't have caused the short.. it's only where multiple power connections meet that it seemed to be an issue. I've also attempted to coat the 510 positive and negative connections on the board.

Even when i opened up the mod again today, the pcb was still oozing little bits of eliquid.. not great. It may well be that only the outer perimeter of the board saw eliquid so having it coming out of the board is a good sign."

I'm glad you got yours fixed without having to send it to Squid.

I had juice leak all down in to one of mine. I guess I got to it quickly enough that it did no damage, as it has been a couple of months and it's still working fine. However, I do not use the Squids much as I find them a bit too heavy. I'm also not a fan of the removable battery door.

Nica

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2015
Australia
I’m not sure if that rates informative or optimistic.... glad you got it back and working (fingers crossed). I’ll definitely be more careful about what topper mine gets.

Yeah I hear ya NolaMel. From now on only top air flow tanks will be going on it - ones that I know from other use experience do not leak a drop. :thumb:

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
I bought hubs a Double Barrel v2.1 last February but he hasn’t used it much. So today he decided to use it & it won’t fire. The screen is working, the batteries are fine, the ohms are displaying. I made sure the mod was unlocked tried multiple rta’s nothing.

Anyone had this issue? Any fixes?

• Optimistic
Reactions: NolaMel

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
The button still pushes in when pressed like normal.

For sure not worth the $.
I have three, two of which have been my daily beaters. (Mine were all bought right after the 2.1 came out. I don’t know if maybe earlier ones were sturdier??) Outside of changing the battery door on one, I haven’t had any problems. I sent @nicaholic a video of one being taken apart (it’s very simple, just unscrew and pop the top off). Maybe you could see something in it that can give you a clue? I know people have replaced the button after damaging it. Since the screen appears to read the atty ohms, I’m at a loss. That means it’s making contact, so it could fire.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
I have three, two of which have been my daily beaters. (Mine were all bought right after the 2.1 came out. I don’t know if maybe earlier ones were sturdier??) Outside of changing the battery door on one, I haven’t had any problems. I sent @nicaholic a video of one being taken apart (it’s very simple, just unscrew and pop the top off). Maybe you could see something in it that can give you a clue? I know people have replaced the button after damaging it. Since the screen appears to read the atty ohms, I’m at a loss. That means it’s making contact, so it could fire.
I could try & unscrew & have a look. It is strange indeed. Think I’m going to ask @deucesjack he’s a reviewer & friendly with Eric Buss of Squid.

• Optimistic
Reactions: NolaMel

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
Thank you. But isn’t their warranty 14 days?
They’ll trouble shoot for you at the least. A whole new board only runs @$35. I bought extra buttons and battery doors when I got my first one, just in case. They’re only a few dollars. There’s not much to them to break, so I’d think they could give you some help. Fingers crossed!

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
They’ll trouble shoot for you at the least. A whole new board only runs @$35. I bought extra buttons and battery doors when I got my first one, just in case. They’re only a few dollars. There’s not much to them to break, so I’d think they could give you some help. Fingers crossed!
Thanks, hubs is going to try to open it up 1st & have a look-see than we’ll decide if we’re going to send it in.

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
77E669AD-55CA-4316-AD44-EC9C1C5E8D36.jpeg
Thanks, hubs is going to try to open it up 1st & have a look-see than we’ll decide if we’re going to send it in.
Saw this on SVG... maybe it’s similar to your hubby’s problem?? Description sounds different, but thinking maybe the button is the issue

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
View attachment 796545
Saw this on SVG... maybe it’s similar to your hubby’s problem?? Description sounds different, but thinking maybe the button is the issue
Thanks, hubs took it apart & everything was clean as he didn’t use it much. But thanks for trying :)

Reactions: DPLongo22

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
Yep it sure does. And hubs doesn’t want to put another $38 into it.
Don’t blame him! At worst, if you’re on FB, join SVG. There’s always people looking to buy beat up or dead mods to use for customizing. Maybe recoup a little $$ that way

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Don’t blame him! At worst, if you’re on FB, join SVG. There’s always people looking to buy beat up or dead mods to use for customizing. Maybe recoup a little $$ that way
I’m on the group. We’ll see. Such a shame it’s barely used. Can’t believe my very inexpensive Joyetech Evic VTC Minis still work & was used lots. I even sold them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread