• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Kate's ban is lifted - now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lika

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2009
Dallas - USA
This thread is for those of you that may have heard from her or talked to her since the ban was lifted. It was lifted some time today (Sunday) and SJ said he'd love for her to come back. He even went as far to say she was one of the top personalities on the forum, if not #1. He went on to say he was envious of her and wished he could do the things she did with the forum.

Has anyone from this group talked to her recently? I've talked to a couple of others that have heard from her in other forums but they only say she's not returning. Of course that was before the ban was lifted.

I'm curious as what you've heard post ban. Share if you will. I would really like her to come back. Not just because I miss her and that she's a wonderful person. But also because she's done wonders for us. Us, being the LGBT community. It's inspiring when one of our own who is open about their sexuality gets the much deserved respect from all walks of life as Kate has done with the ecig community. A person such as Kate is one who breaks barriers and instills understanding. That is why she needs to come back.

frogbmth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Dorset, UK
www.jantyclub.com
I will be talking to Kate again soon but I'm not going to badger her to come back. She knows how loved she is, and how many of us want her to come back.

Freedom is something we love so much, and that includes the freedom to stick your fingers up at something you don't want to be a part of any longer. I wouldn't look take that freedom away.

Dont take this the wrong way, but Kate getting banned is the best thing that has happened around here in a while. Its brought a things to the surface for many. That doesnt mean I am glad she is gone, quite the opposite. But it has made many stop and think, even if just for a moment.

Andy

Lika

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2009
Dallas - USA
I hear you Andy, I don't want to press her either. And I'm certainly not asking anyone else to. What she does is her decision. I am simply making a point and hope that I'm not coming off as over zealous and on a mission to force her return.

I agree with what you said about Kate's ban being the best thing that's happened around here. More specifically it damn near marks her as a virtual martyr. I mean she's gone and not coming back that we know of. This whole thing was certainly a sacrifice to a virtual death. That was a result of standing up for the good of the people. It's clear to me that Kate did what she did for the community and not only for herself. That makes her a hero (heroine) in in my book.

I'm hoping this thread can be an outlet of Kate's voice via those who've talked to her. I know not all of us visit the other forums. For those of us who do not it might be nice to know what she's thinking post ban even its via someone else.

Lika

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2009
Dallas - USA
:( Well, that's the way it will be then. Sad but I think we all knew Kate was done here. Honestly I really can't say that I blame her or that I wouldn't have done the same thing under the circumstances. Some things are just too difficult to heal. I think I just needed confirmation and now we have it. Andy, thanks for sharing this with us.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
This is my first post since I was banned. I'm not intending to stay around much but wanted to thank you folk very much for your support, I really do appreciate it.

When you've decided on who you want me to pass mod permissions to just send me a message and I'll sort that. I haven't seen an option for adding more than one mod but I'm sure an admin can arrange for that to be done.

Much as I love it here I don't feel comfortable staying around and implying that this is a community-safe forum, I'd rather support a genuine non-commercial site. Right to Vape seems like it might be suitable for me to settle down but I don't know how that's going to work out.

If any of you want to contact me I can still get private messages.

All the best ... mwah xxx

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK
This is my first post since I was banned. I'm not intending to stay around much but wanted to thank you folk very much for your support, I really do appreciate it.

When you've decided on who you want me to pass mod permissions to just send me a message and I'll sort that. I haven't seen an option for adding more than one mod but I'm sure an admin can arrange for that to be done.

Much as I love it here I don't feel comfortable staying around and implying that this is a community-safe forum, I'd rather support a genuine non-commercial site. Right to Vape seems like it might be suitable for me to settle down but I don't know how that's going to work out.

Hi Kate, glad to see you back albeit just on this little quiet corner.

The main boards have been so different without you - I'm not saying this to entice you back (I understand your reluctance) just to let you know that your absence is missed by those of us who are used to seeing your many informative and sensible posts.

I've been over to RTV a few times but it's very quiet over there - maybe in time it'll liven up. I agree that a non-commercial site is ideal but, on the other hand, I sympathise with SJ's situation as well - these boards cost money to run (and after a certain number of users, quite a bit of money). It's a bit like the problem that newspapers have with editorial freedom versus advertisers; a very difficult position to be in.

Anyway, hope you'll continue to chat with us in our quiet corner here if not in the main area (you'll still need to bring the biscuits I'm afraid, there's been a shortage of them since your departure!)

Lika

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2009
Dallas - USA

As if you don't already know this:

WE LOVE YOU, KATE!!!

Now, I'm going to send you a PM in a few ;)

Well.. my first post since Kate's ban (except in the Vapers Club forum to inform people th ereal life meeting was still on in a few weeks).

I think nico would be a good mod. I have fasted while Kate was banned (though I kept in touch by email since I missed her so much!).

While I completely agree with all that Kate has said (aside from the anger which was provoked when her questions were ignored... and I may have gotten just as angry.. in fact maybe more.. I might have even pulled out a whip or two!) I do not feel that leaving the boards and leaving all the unsuspecting newbies to fend for themselves is fair. I propose that we encourage all who agree with Kate's position to change their avatars (I will do mine tonight) to honor Kate and plead for her to come back (although I COMPLETELY understand why she has refused!). I also propose that we all change our signatures to say "TRUST NO ONE!!! FIND THE TRUTH!!!". I think newbies will notice that a lot of people have that as an avatar and when they question it... we can point them to the appropriate threads to learn the truth (I have a bunch saved that were deleted just in case we needed them for future reference).

I think I will likely be banned if I am not careful what I say... but I am willing to take that chance in order to make sure that new people realize that this is NOT a safe community FOR the people, BY the people... but a commercially run board where any post that questionably defames financial supporters of the board will be deleted.

SJ.. I suggest as a fix to this problem... that you increase the membership fee to $5 or $10 a month and stop taking $ from suppliers so we do not have these problems anymore. I think this board needs to be run as a democracy and the board needs to take a "poll" to choose moderators and SJ should NOT have veto power over them unless it is discussed in an open forum or is something that potentially endangers someone's life or safety.

This is just my 2 cents.

I will be busy the next few days setting up Long Island, New York - Vapers Club which is only a website about in person meetings... not a forum. But I think it is important to organize with the potential impending bans.

Anyway... I will be around sporadically and once I change my avatar and sig.. I will be posting all over these boards so people will know the truth.

Can someone with Kates avatar in the bottom of theirs please send me the jpg so I can cut and paste it on mine... I cannot seem to save anyones.

Last edited:

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
I am sooooo glad to see that Kate stopped back to say hey to us all and that she has left some avenue open for us to communicate with her. I really miss her gentle way of ponting people in the right direction without making them feel stupid or awkward; her stern, yet nonaggressive way of putting the trollavatarguy in his place; her aggressive way of questioning suppliers about the contents of their liquid and about their business practices; her way of inserting lols just when things started getting too tense; her way of always having the right pic or the right thread link to suit the occasion. I have not always shared her opinions, but I have always respected her and admired her style.:wub::wub::wub:

Spikey, I love ya darlin'. I mean, what's not to love? Dom:hubba:, openminded, following your heart and your truth - you f-ken rock, chick:cool:. I appreciate the sentiments and agree with a good bit of it. I have already changed my avatar. I support Kate and the stance she took championing the consumer and the validity of information available to the consumer here on this forum. I think she was doing the forum a service by calling Parker out and demanding answers and demanding that the reviews be taken down. I can't get on board with the sig thing though:(. I do not challenge SJ's right to run this forum as he sees best:|. I still trust that he is doing the very best he knows how to, to keep this forum going and to keep it safe. I do not envy his position, but I do admire his ability to rule with an open palm while being entitled to rule with an iron fist. I, personally, think he was in a very awkward position and did the best he knew to do, which is better than I imagine I would have done while being pulled in so many directions at once and having to act quickly. I am not asking anyone here to change anything. I am just explaining upfront why I won't be wearing the sig. I think each of us needs to do what we feel is right. I respect what you are trying to do here and support and champion your right to do it. I just won't be doing it.

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK
I am just explaining upfront why I won't be wearing the sig. I think each of us needs to do what we feel is right. I respect what you are trying to do here and support and champion your right to do it. I just won't be doing it.

I'm with you on this one for very much the same reasons.

I'm happy to have Kate's picture within my avatar in honour of Kate's superb contribution to this forum but I don't believe in conspiracies and I feel what happened was a lose-lose situation. Unfortunate, but that's life sometimes...

Lika

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2009
Dallas - USA
Well.. my first post since Kate's ban (except in the Vapers Club forum to inform people th ereal life meeting was still on in a few weeks).

I think nico would be a good mod. I have fasted while Kate was banned (though I kept in touch by email since I missed her so much!).

While I completely agree with all that Kate has said (aside from the anger which was provoked when her questions were ignored... and I may have gotten just as angry.. in fact maybe more.. I might have even pulled out a whip or two!) I do not feel that leaving the boards and leaving all the unsuspecting newbies to fend for themselves is fair. I propose that we encourage all who agree with Kate's position to change their avatars (I will do mine tonight) to honor Kate and plead for her to come back (although I COMPLETELY understand why she has refused!). I also propose that we all change our signatures to say "TRUST NO ONE!!! FIND THE TRUTH!!!". I think newbies will notice that a lot of people have that as an avatar and when they question it... we can point them to the appropriate threads to learn the truth (I have a bunch saved that were deleted just in case we needed them for future reference).

I think I will likely be banned if I am not careful what I say... but I am willing to take that chance in order to make sure that new people realize that this is NOT a safe community FOR the people, BY the people... but a commercially run board where any post that questionably defames financial supporters of the board will be deleted.

SJ.. I suggest as a fix to this problem... that you increase the membership fee to $5 or $10 a month and stop taking $ from suppliers so we do not have these problems anymore. I think this board needs to be run as a democracy and the board needs to take a "poll" to choose moderators and SJ should NOT have veto power over them unless it is discussed in an open forum or is something that potentially endangers someone's life or safety.

This is just my 2 cents.

I will be busy the next few days setting up Long Island, New York - Vapers Club which is only a website about in person meetings... not a forum. But I think it is important to organize with the potential impending bans.

Anyway... I will be around sporadically and once I change my avatar and sig.. I will be posting all over these boards so people will know the truth.

Can someone with Kates avatar in the bottom of theirs please send me the jpg so I can cut and paste it on mine... I cannot seem to save anyones.

Welcome back Spikey One - Sorry, I had a Star Wars (or something) moment...lol Seriously, it's wonderful to see you back.

To give credit where it's due, I believe Tribalmasters was the first one to do the avatar addition. I asked him if he minded if I copied it. Of course he didn't and the next thing I knew lots of people were sporting the Kate badge. It caught on fast. I loved it! Though Kate has posted since, that badge still signifies the moment in time it all went down and took our beloved Kate with it. IMO it also marks the courage and compassion of a virtual martyr. Love you Kate!

I would be among the first to stand up for Kate and her role in what happened. The more I think about it the more certain I am would have done the same thing. When you are passionate about something you either go all the way or don't fight at all.

As much as I'd like to participate I have to decline displaying the proposed signature. I don't feel I want to be part of encouraging a crusade on this forum. Personally I think there's too much other stuff going on to head down that road at this time. Many of us may not even have the right to vape much longer. I need to put my energy in fighting battles that will keep the ecig around. I also think there are more amicable ways to reach a common ground in this forum. That does not mean that I do not admire what you are setting out to do.

Lika

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2009
Dallas - USA
Spikey, I sent you the Kate banner via your site email. Couldn't attach it via the mail here.

Kate-Posts-Banner.jpg

For anyone else that can copy from this post I'm also posting the banner here by itself. That should make it easier to add to your own avatar. Again thanks to Tribalmasters for sharing this with us.

Welcome back Spikey One - Sorry, I had a Star Wars (or something) moment...lol Seriously, it's wonderful to see you back.

To give credit where it's due, I believe Tribalmasters was the first one to do the avatar addition. I asked him if he minded if I copied it. Of course he didn't and the next thing I knew lots of people were sporting the Kate badge. It caught on fast. I loved it! Though Kate has posted since, that badge still signifies the moment in time it all went down and took our beloved Kate with it. IMO it also marks the courage and compassion of a virtual martyr. Love you Kate!

I would be among the first to stand up for Kate and her role in what happened. The more I think about it the more certain I am would have done the same thing. When you are passionate about something you either go all the way or don't fight at all.

As much as I'd like to participate I have to decline displaying the proposed signature. I don't feel I want to be part of encouraging a crusade on this forum. Personally I think there's too much other stuff going on to head down that road at this time. Many of us may not even have the right to vape much longer. I need to put my energy in fighting battles that will keep the ecig around. I also think there are more amicable ways to reach a common ground in this forum. That does not mean that I do not admire what you are setting out to do.

Thanks to Tribalmasters for the great idea (by the way... I don't love my penstyle... I think I am doing somethings wrong lol!).

Lika... I totally understand what you and the others are saying. I believe the only way Kate will feel safe to return is if the lack of Democracy (or "conspiracy".. though I am not sure I would use that term myself) is called out into public and so I thought doing so might make her feel comfortable to return. That was my purpose.

I'm with you on this one for very much the same reasons.

I'm happy to have Kate's picture within my avatar in honour of Kate's superb contribution to this forum but I don't believe in conspiracies and I feel what happened was a lose-lose situation. Unfortunate, but that's life sometimes...
I agree it was a difficult situation, but left a lot of questions unanswered in what seemed a very unfair way.

I am sooooo glad to see that Kate stopped back to say hey to us all and that she has left some avenue open for us to communicate with her. I really miss her gentle way of ponting people in the right direction without making them feel stupid or awkward; her stern, yet nonaggressive way of putting the trollavatarguy in his place; her aggressive way of questioning suppliers about the contents of their liquid and about their business practices; her way of inserting lols just when things started getting too tense; her way of always having the right pic or the right thread link to suit the occasion. I have not always shared her opinions, but I have always respected her and admired her style.:wub::wub::wub:

Spikey, I love ya darlin'. I mean, what's not to love? Dom:hubba:, openminded, following your heart and your truth - you f-ken rock, chick:cool:. I appreciate the sentiments and agree with a good bit of it. I have already changed my avatar. I support Kate and the stance she took championing the consumer and the validity of information available to the consumer here on this forum. I think she was doing the forum a service by calling Parker out and demanding answers and demanding that the reviews be taken down. I can't get on board with the sig thing though:(. I do not challenge SJ's right to run this forum as he sees best:|. I still trust that he is doing the very best he knows how to, to keep this forum going and to keep it safe. I do not envy his position, but I do admire his ability to rule with an open palm while being entitled to rule with an iron fist. I, personally, think he was in a very awkward position and did the best he knew to do, which is better than I imagine I would have done while being pulled in so many directions at once and having to act quickly. I am not asking anyone here to change anything. I am just explaining upfront why I won't be wearing the sig. I think each of us needs to do what we feel is right. I respect what you are trying to do here and support and champion your right to do it. I just won't be doing it.
While I am sure it is a hard job to run a forum which is growing at this capacity, I also feel that things have changed here since the end of last year (I have also been lurking since then) and there must be a reason for it. I think that fairness and openness are necessary to run an unbiased forum. There is TOO MUCH SHADY sh*t goin on around here.

Spikey, it is so good to have you back!

Thanks frog :)

To all.. I agree that the energy is better devoted to fighting potential bans than to kicking up dirt here. I will finish designing the VapersClub website and then will likely stick to RightToVape.com

I did not devote neary as much energy as Kate did here... but I was on here for near 8 weeks for about 8 hours a day and put a lot of effort into keeping up something that I can't put faith in anymore.

It is like getting a new puppy and finding out it is sick and will die before it grows up. It is very sad.

Anyway.... I have missed everyone and will try to post on occasion or check in to see what is going on.... Be well everyone!

PS.. love having Kate's avatar so close to my new one!

Lika

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2009
Dallas - USA
Thanks to Tribalmasters for the great idea (by the way... I don't love my penstyle... I think I am doing somethings wrong lol!).

Lika... I totally understand what you and the others are saying. I believe the only way Kate will feel safe to return is if the lack of Democracy (or "conspiracy".. though I am not sure I would use that term myself) is called out into public and so I thought doing so might make her feel comfortable to return. That was my purpose.

As much as I want Kate to make a full return I also have to respect her decision not to. I will continue to hold hope that time will heal the wounds. I've said this before and I'll say it again. Kate is THE reason I felt compelled to join this forum. She made me feel welcome and that will be greatly missed and sad that others visiting for the first time won't have that. If it weren't for her I probably would have read a little and then just moved on. This might sound superficial but it was the "Queer or just strange..." thread that sealed the deal for me, lol.

About your purpose... I completely understand and I do feel your compassion to set things right. If this forum is going to utilize corporate politics (that's how I see it) then we're gonna have to play by its rules and use that platform to encourage the changes we seek. "Yes we can!" Get my drift? At the same time we have to find a common ground.

Btw, Spikey, I am totally lovin' your new avie pic. That's funny, sexy and says oh sooooooo much! Very clever... LOL

P.S. I think maybe we can accomplish a lot more around here if we go underground and plan a sneak attack (hehe). I'm kidding SJ (I know you read this) :p

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member

No offense, but that is complete rubbish. I've explained in minute detail what happened, and have had scores of PMs from the community supporting my response.

My actions were taken to support the community, not a supplier. I don't know what this democracy stuff is about anyway? I run the forum, using my judgement, in the best way I know how to keep this place free and open to everyone - we don't take a vote on things, I just listen to the members and try to implement their suggestions. Ask Kate - I spent hours hacking the site code so that post edits could be viewed by everyone. At her insistence, no-one else's.

To afford all this (and it is outrageously expensive, by the way) I have the suppliers paying for it. They are separated from the rest of the community by the same rules that have always been in place. Nothing has changed, in reality, except for the fact that sponsoring suppliers have their own forums.

As to defamation - if there is defamation against anyone the member will be banned. Actually, I'll probably do what I did with Kate and ask them to remove the offending words, and let them carry on. If they refuse, they're out of here.

Its not a question of protecting suppliers, it's a question of the LAW, and protecting real lives.

Spikey, perhaps if you feel there are a lot of unanswered questions, you'd have the good grace to address them to me? I'd certainly try to answer them.

Thanks.

SJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread