KATO Box MOD (Authentic) There's only 500 out there of each size, so who's got them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
Hi Guys, With the authentic KATO Box mod 18500 or 18650 being a collectors item with only 500 of each version out there, thought you might like to show yours off and maybe let us know how it is holding up under use.

Post pics if you can and mention any issues, modifications such as a added kick and the preferred tanks you use with yours.

Which # you have..

Who got the rda adapters-again only 500 produced and did they work correctly?

Which way do you place the battery, + up or down?

OK, I'll kick off
:)

GSj869g.jpg
[/IMG]
D2T0TMo.jpg
[/IMG]

K319-18650
few minor scratch marks on the aluminum body only
no operational issues/no kick
+ down on battery
Kayfun lite v2, full size Nautilus metal jacket, Kayfun 3.1 es, Kayfun 4, Kraken, Atlantis(for this to fit you must disassemble the top like with the Taifun)
RDA adapter failed on 1st use, shorted and burnt wire inside. 510 treading poor quality and only iclears and cheap Chinese atty's screw down correctly[/B]:mad:
pm4yu07.jpg
[/IMG]

iphone pictures. Can't seem to delete these thumbnails:unsure:

Attachments

• IMG_0669.jpg
    IMG_0669.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0928[1].jpg
    IMG_0928[1].jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0936[1].jpg
    IMG_0936[1].jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

duc916

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Nor Cal
Sorry, only got a clone.... :)

Do you sub-ohm on it? My clone Kato performed terribly with 0.33 ohm builds on it, after just a few days. Mainly it is because of that wimpy spring at the base. About 1v drop! Swapping it out for a flathead screw gave me back about 0.5v to where it's just usable. If the authentic has a spring like this too, you'd see a noticeable improvement doing the same.

409109d1423001486-kato-mod-clone-advice-needed-kato-screw-mod.jpg

Last edited:

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Hey Duc, Can't say I had any problem with the authentic and I do sub-ohm with it on occasion. My rda adapter doesn't work so I use those mostly on other mods. Mostly use it at 1 ohm with rta's such as Kayfun's or my Kraken and have no issue with it as low as 0.5 - 0.33 ohms with dual coils on the Kraken. It actually vapes like a beast:)

duc916

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Nor Cal
After finding my sweet spot in the Orchid V4 I've been pretty much using nothing but those tanks, and at 0.33 ohm day in and day out, they will expose the weakness of any mech mod in a hurry. The Kato is a nice little mod, and at 1 ohm you probably aren't noticing its shortcomings. I stil think you should do the 40 cent upgrade and see if you can't get it to hit even harder. :)

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Well to tell you the truth. I'm a bit of a glutton for punishment:laugh: I love playing and tinkering with builds/wicking and as with your Orchid, I have found the perfect vape, for me at least, with steel mesh and the flavor is just awesome from the Kraken. I know exactly how I like it and can put a good build on it fairly quickly.

I keep it in my rotation from time to time but mostly use rda's like the Origen and Magma's when at home.

The KATO is a collection piece and a thing of beauty so I won't modify anything and don't really need to use it often. As I said, mine works well at 0.5 but I don't need it to sub as I have plenty of other options. I will perform a voltage drop test on it at various resistance just out of curiosity but I think you are correct. It is most likely a design flaw or was never really meant to fire low sub ohm in the first place.

cheers

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
That's true Duc, very weighty but not as much as the VTR which is solid SS. The KATO was 2 years in development and the VTR beat it to the consumers. Mechs took a back seat to regulated mods when they became more sought after during the summer of 2014, It still remains so and I myself am smitten with the idea of a constant power to my vapes, regardless of battery voltage.

I guess you are talking about the Gizmo which is a mechanical and very lightweight. No SS, just aluminium. I don't know of any other British mechs in that form factor but feel free to enlighten me.

As with everything, vaping not exempted, personnel preference plays a large role in peoples choices. I chose the KATO knowing I would rarely be carrying outside of the walls of my house, mostly for fear of damaging or loosing it. I have many other things to use but luckily work from home as my office:vapor:

Duc, I like solid gear, I'm a strong and big guy, I break light flimsy stuff, I love the KATO, it's weight and form for me couldn't be better.

cheers

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Especially if it's pulling your shorts down as mine would in this neck of the woods!! I don't have any specs on the Gizmo but I think there are some reviews on youtube most likely. I think Todd may have done one if you search his channel. The price was 75 pounds and it was only available from one retail outlet as I recall.

I almost got one myself but it has, or had issues with the first run (not performance related). Something to do with no lock on the switch or vent holes. They have most likely fixed that by now.

gph61

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Hi juicynoos. As requested, here's a link to my post about putting a kick under the 510:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...traction-mechanical-mods-12.html#post15540641

Edit: This won't work with the orginal 18500 but should work with the original 18650 and does work with both clone sizes.

Edit #2: I've seen confusion on battery orientation with this mod and others of this style. It goes in positive down and it does matter when using a kick.

Last edited:

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
I appreciate you posting gph61. Guess some may be interested in adding a kick if they tend to use them in other mechs.
The issue of polarity only came about because of reviewer error or lack of familiarity with box's. Todd and other Youtube vids showed them loading the battery the wrong way, even the place I got mine made that mistake. Ultimately, I asked a Korean

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Now Kato has come out with a 'mini' version which uses a 14500 battery and takes atty's up to 14mm I believe...
any interest?...know I'm not especially because I don't care for the finish on it and having to carry spare battery's is a pita.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="The KATO Mini - YouTube" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread